Small Questions v. 10106

Rhaenys_Targaryen

4 hours ago, Jaehaerys Tyrell said:

Or is this just a detail George had in mind and decided to include?

I think this is the likeliest explanation.

It stands out only because Mr. Martin, unfortunately, does not do a great job with mothers in general, to the point where an unbelievable amount die in childbirth, and we often don't even know their names or Houses.

The detail does do some work in portraying Houses Rowan and Tarly as approximately equal in standing, and helps establish them as two of the most powerful Houses in the Reach. 

• 1 month later...

On a re-read right now.

it struck me odd that Salladhor Saan, when we fist meet him talking with Davos in a tavern, tells extremely acurate information about the happenings in KL. In previous chapters we see characters having a lot of trouble separating truth from hearsay, including in KL itself after Robert’s death. But Saan correctly knows that Tyrion is there by order of his father, that he deposed Janos Slynt and replaced him with Jacelyn Bywater. He explains that one of his merchant ships had been in the city, but the information seemed too precise to be just that. I don’t think Varys is supplying him with intel, but he must have some good source for that.

EDIT: A couple chapters later, at the harvest feast in Winterfell, Manderly also knows about Janos. Maybe under Tyrion handship news are more reliable :-)

EDIT 2: And more chapters forward, Craster “heard” that Gared lost his head? How on earth?

Edited by Leonardo Abreu

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/29/2023 at 11:36 AM, Hugorfonics said:

How did ghost get over the wall?

Ghost must be the winged wolf!

Or maybe Ghost used the same technique Arya used to visit the docks at King's Landing even though all the gates were closed. 

Dunk explains why the gold pieces used for currency in the Seven Kingdoms are called dragons, but why are the silver pieces called stags before Robert's usurpation of the Iron Throne, and come to think of it, why are the gold pieces still called dragons so many years afterward? 

24 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Dunk explains why the gold pieces used for currency in the Seven Kingdoms are called dragons, but why are the silver pieces called stags before Robert's usurpation of the Iron Throne, and come to think of it, why are the gold pieces still called dragons so many years afterward? 

Never given an answer I think. But my two stags,

I always thought of Aegons brother, the stag man. Targaryen gets the big coin but Baratheon gets mentioned as well.

Robert was just lazy. And it'd be different if he was a lion or direwolf, then he'd maybe just replace the dragon with his house but to promote the Stag and then what'll be used for the smaller domination? Dreadfully confusing. Plus a dragon means gold, no sense in rewriting the dictionary 

Edited by Hugorfonics

@Ran I have had this question for years since I read about The Targ Civil War history. I really hope you can clarify something for me.

Why were both rivals/claimants so incompetent? We have Rhaenyra who was described as bold and bright as a child and then she was a NPC pre and during the war. No actions, no feats, nothing even remotely interesting. And we have Aegon who was supposedly being prepared to become the king and he was also... well. Not the sharpest knife. 

Both of them look like caricatures. 

If we take real life Anarchy story, Mathilda was arrogant and naughty but she "concerned herself with the administration of Normandy, acting on her son's behalf when necessary. Particularly in the early years of her son's reign, she provided political advice. She worked extensively with the Church, founding monasteries, and was known for her piety." according to Wiki.

Stephen "was extremely wealthy, well-mannered and liked by his peers; he was also considered a man capable of firm action. Chroniclers recorded that despite his wealth and power he was a modest and easy-going leader, happy to sit with his men and servants, casually laughing and eating with them"

Why neither of Targs were given some balanced traits? Was it intentional or the author was just lazy? Even Aegon IV was better, IMO.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by Aelwen

1 hour ago, Aelwen said:

Why were both rivals/claimants so incompetent? We have Rhaenyra who was described as bold and bright as a child and then she was a NPC pre and during the war. No actions, no feats, nothing even remotely interesting. And we have Aegon who was supposedly being prepared to become the king and he was also... well. Not the sharpest knife. 

I assume that partly rule of cool and partly bc certain players in main series (like Baratheons and Lannisters) had to survive the Dance.

For instance if Rhaenyra would have nuked Storms End as soon as she found out that Baratheons supported "usurper" and made sure that everybody would know that she and her dragons would do the same to all property of any "traitors". Or she would have burned down Lannisterport and Old Town if Hightowers and Lannisters had supported another candidate for Iron Throne. The Dance would have included only one battle. Because Aegon II and his brother would have either had to launch air raid to Dragonstone and hope that they could kill enough hostile dragons and their riders or they would have lost everything bc their supporters almost certainly would not have dared to openly support him as long Rhaenyra had ability to carry out that threat. 

Or if both Blacks and Greens had been smarter the Dance would have been shorter and most victims of that would have been dragons and their riders and some unlucky people who just happened to be either in Storms End or Dragonstone when dragons danced. But story about the Dance would have been shorter and less cool.

2 hours ago, Loose Bolt said:

I assume that partly rule of cool and partly bc certain players in main series (like Baratheons and Lannisters) had to survive the Dance.

Again, I don't want them to be real smart but at least more 3d dimensional to make them interesting. I can't even name any positive traits of book Rhaenyra. Could you?

Lying, stupid, paranoid, hypocritical, unlucky, passive, racist, mysogynistic, coward, coarse... George really hated her. Or he didn't even bother to add her at least some benefits.

Oh, she was beautiful in her youth. So beautiful that 20 years later men went to war for her memory... :blink::bs:

Aegon II, despite allegedly being prepared to rule, was also a drunk,  cheater, hot-tempered, not very smart either, bad parent, mysogynist. 

But he loved his dragon a lot. At least something, and he wasn't a coward.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Aelwen

26 minutes ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

Where do you get the idea from that Aegon the Elder was prepared to rule?

Well, he was an heir pushed by Greens, he should have had at least a typical lord's education, weapon training, history, etc. 

Edited by Aelwen

On 4/30/2023 at 6:00 PM, Lost Melnibonean said:

My guess is that the coins were minted soon after Aegon put together his small council.  His first hand was Orys Baratheon, his second in command.  So the dragons got the gold, and the stags, their second in command, got the silver.

14 minutes ago, Aelwen said:

Well, he was an heir pushed by Greens, he should have had at least a typical lord's education, weapon training, history, etc. 

I think Aegon would have got the same education as every other Targaryen prince or lord paramount's son. In my opinion there's no hint that he was prepared in any meaningful way for being king.