Small Questions v. 10106

Rhaenys_Targaryen

3 hours ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

I think Aegon would have got the same education as every other Targaryen prince or lord paramount's son. In my opinion there's no hint that he was prepared in any meaningful way for being king.

Regarding education. Was there a septa in the Dragonstone castle when Rhaenyra lived there? Was she teaching Rhaena and Baela? 

• 3 weeks later...

Rereading GOT and seems there are two different versions of where Jon Arryn was going to have Sweet Robin fostered.  Stannis or Tywin.  Who was spreading the rumors?  What was the point?  Was it like when Tyrion gave multiple destinations for Myrcella, trying to suss out the intelligence leaks?  Or just a game of Mereneese Telephone?

Edited by Otatop1000
Spelling Errors

5 minutes ago, Otatop1000 said:

Rereading GOT and seems there are two different versions of where Jon Arryn was going to have Sweet Robin fostered.  Stannis or Tywin.  Who was spreading the rumors?  What was the point?  Was it like when Tyrion gave multiple destinations for Myrcella, trying to suss out the intelligence leaks?  Or just a game of Mereneese Telephone?

I think this is one of those things which ends up not being very important after the first book, like the whole Warden of the East/West issue.

On 6/1/2023 at 2:47 PM, Otatop1000 said:

On 6/1/2023 at 2:52 PM, Craving Peaches said:

I think this is one of those things which ends up not being very important after the first book, like the whole Warden of the East/West issue.

It was a pretty important issue for the plot of the War of the Five Kings. House Lannister may have been the antagonists to the protagonists of House Stark, but the big bad turns out to be Petyr. Before King Robert promised to send the new Lord of the Eyrie to foster with Lord Tywin, the murdered Lord of the Eyrie had arranged to have his young son fostered by Lord Stannis on Dragonstone. This was issue was another clue for the reader that Petyr was the big bad. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello everyone. I have a question.

The other day I saw a publication [https://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/155236-how-did-rhaegar-get-his-reputation-as-a-warrior/page/3/#comments] in which @Ran said that George R.R. Martin confirmed outside the books that Jaime Lannister is the kind of talent that comes along once in a thousand years; he reiterated this shortly afterwards in another comment.

I know that the author confirmed in a SSM that Jaime is an All Time Great; and in ADWD, through Barristan, he established him as a generational talent. But if Ran's comment is true, we would be talking about the kind of talent that is beyond generational... The kind of talent of Daemon Blackfyre.

I was wondering if someone could give me a link to the interview or tell me where I could find it.

3 hours ago, SirBronzeFalcon said:

Hello everyone. I have a question.

The other day I saw a publication [https://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/155236-how-did-rhaegar-get-his-reputation-as-a-warrior/page/3/#comments] in which @Ran said that George R.R. Martin confirmed outside the books that Jaime Lannister is the kind of talent that comes along once in a thousand years; he reiterated this shortly afterwards in another comment.

I know that the author confirmed in a SSM that Jaime is an All Time Great; and in ADWD, through Barristan, he established him as a generational talent. But if Ran's comment is true, we would be talking about the kind of talent that is beyond generational... The kind of talent of Daemon Blackfyre.

I was wondering if someone could give me a link to the interview or tell me where I could find it.

Never read about it and I have my doubt about the accuracy on George's word. However, it's pretty clear Jaime is supposed to be one of the greatest fighter of all time as stated here.

Now, I always felt GRRM was voluntarily playing around when it comes to that matter, always remaining vague as to what entail swordsmanship skills. Jaime's talent and prodigious skills always emphasized as special and unique, however, to this day nobody can say how he would fare against Arthur Dayne or Barristan Selmy, two legendary contemporaries. Strange how Aerys's kingsguard was apparently half filled with swordsmen "GOAT".

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2023 at 2:09 AM, Kal-L said:

Never read about it and I have my doubt about the accuracy on George's word. However, it's pretty clear Jaime is supposed to be one of the greatest fighter of all time as stated here.

Now, I always felt GRRM was voluntarily playing around when it comes to that matter, always remaining vague as to what entail swordsmanship skills. Jaime's talent and prodigious skills always emphasized as special and unique, however, to this day nobody can say how he would fare against Arthur Dayne or Barristan Selmy, two legendary contemporaries. Strange how Aerys's kingsguard was apparently half filled with swordsmen "GOAT".

Thanks, @Kal-L.

• 2 weeks later...

"And what were you telling him, pray? I did not fight a war to seat Robert the Second on the Iron Throne. You gave me to understand the boy cared nothing of his father."
"Why would he? Robert ignored him. He would have beat him if I'd allowed it. That brute you made me marry once hit the boy so hard he knocked out two of his baby teeth, over some mischief with a cat. I told him I'd kill him in his sleep if he ever did it again, and he never did, but sometimes he would say things..."
"It appears things needed to be said." Lord Tywin waved two fingers at her, a brusque dismissal. "Go."
She went, seething.

What things were being said to Joffrey.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2023 at 5:01 PM, Lee-Sensei said:

What things were being said to Joffrey.

Things like, "What the fuck did you do to that cat? I am going to knock your teeth out, you little bastard."

On 9/4/2023 at 9:40 PM, Lost Melnibonean said:

Things like, "What the fuck did you do to that cat? I am going to knock your teeth out, you little bastard."

Which would be especially funny since Robert thought that Joffrey was his trueborn son.

Edited by Takiedevushkikakzvezdy

I always believed that after his brother's death, Artos the Implacable had assumed regency in his nephew's name until the end of his minority (which was part of the reason behind Lord Edwyle's affection for his uncle who had peacefully relinquish power). Could someone confirm it to me, I can't find the origins of my belief.

On 9/13/2023 at 11:48 PM, Kal-L said:

I always believed that after his brother's death, Artos the Implacable had assumed regency in his nephew's name until the end of his minority (which was part of the reason behind Lord Edwyle's affection for his uncle who had peacefully relinquish power). Could someone confirm it to me, I can't find the origins of my belief.

It's never stated outright, but looking at the timeline and the fact Artos got a statue despite not being a lord indicates it.

On 9/15/2023 at 10:43 AM, The Wondering Wolf said:

It's never stated outright, but looking at the timeline and the fact Artos got a statue despite not being a lord indicates it.

Yes that was the logical assumption, I just thought it had been explicitely stated in the books.

I started wondering when I came on Lord Edwyle wiki page and saw his birth being situated between 197 and 226 AC. If Edwyle had indeed been minor when his father was slained at the Battle at Long Lake against the wildlings in 226, we could assert his birth to have taken place from late 210 to 227 at the very latest (if he was born after his father died).

Lord Willam was Ned's great-grandather, and his second wife was Melantha Blackwood. Aegon V was Rhaegar's great-grandfather, and his wife was Betha Blackwood. Both Blackwood might very well have been sisters. Now if we look at both of their line, it seems very likely that Aegon and Willam would have been of the same generation, Lord Rickard's birth year is unknown but looking at the age of children, he seems to have been of the same generation as Tywin and Aerys who had Rhaegar very early.

I suppose Lord Edwyle could have been born around 220, which would explain why he didn't fight at his father's side how Artos had such an importance in his life.

Edited by Kal-L

To go on with House Stark hypothetical timeline, I want to go back to the crisis of succession and the struggle for power of the she-wolves that resulted from Lord Beron's death.

My question was why did it happen and how ?

Little flash back. We know that Rickon Stark's death (son of Cregan) during the Daeron's Conquest of Dorne was lamented in North as it provoked a terrible succession crisis between his daughters (who came before their uncles) and his half-brothers who seized powers by pulling a "Daemon Targaryen" and - very likely forcefully - marrying them. After Jonnel's death without issues, Barthogan, Cregan's third son with Lynara Stark seized power and Edric's line (with Serena) was basically dishinerited. Barthogan died without issue, his younger brother became the Lord of Winterfell, then his elder son Rodwell (who was unfortunately married to a Manderly) died without issue so Beron the second son came to power.

Basically since Barthogan had taken power, there hadn't been any sign of problems, with Brandon (Cregan's last son) being succeeded by his two sons. So what did change for Lord Beron's death to provoke a new crisis ? (Beron who had 7 children among them 5 sons, the succession was supposedly assured !)

My opinion is that Donnor, Lord Beron's elder son was still minor and so needed a regent to rule in his name. Hence the arrival of the She-wolves of Winterfell.

Now we know that Lord Beron was still alive by 212 AC and that he died in his 30s. If my theory is right, it means that Donnor couldn't have been born before 196 - and that is really pushing -, and would more likely have been born around 198 or slightly later.

Overall it would confirm the idea that Willam (Beron's second son) and Aegon V would have been very close in age and more importantly that Lord Edwyle could not have been born as early as 197, and was most likely very young when his father died in 226 in his twenties.