Rhaenys_Targaryen

Small Questions v. 10106

1 hour ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

As this banner associates with the Seven, the North and Iron Islands presumably use a different, albeit not described, peace banner.  

When Marc Simonetti drew a white flag in his Theon at the Neck image for the ASOIAF calendar, GRRM told him to use rainbow flag. So the Ironborn (and presumably Northmen) recognize that too.

8 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

The only descriptions given are these:

Qyburn's companionship was wearing on him. Jaime trotted toward the head of the column. A round little tick of a northman name of Nage went before Steelshanks with the peace banner; a rainbow-striped flag with seven long tails, on a staff topped by a seven-pointed star. "Shouldn't you northmen have a different sort of peacebanner?" he asked Walton. "What are the Seven to you?"

ASOS, Jaime 6

Nage led them up a low hill, the seven-tailed peacebanner lifting and turning in the wind, the polished seven-pointed star shining bright upon its staff. 

ASOS, Jaime 7

As this banner associates with the Seven, the North and Iron Islands presumably use a different, albeit not described, peace banner.

Thank you very much! :)

Edited by Tywin Manderly

5 hours ago, zionius said:

affc only says Baelor had been eight years a hostage in Oldtown, which could well be before the Rebellion and his father's death. Given he was named Baelor, I think his father also believed in Faith and sent him to Oldtown for alliance.

Baelor being a hostage in Oldtown seems to be connected to the Greyjoy Rebellion. 

22 minutes ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

Baelor being a hostage in Oldtown seems to be connected to the Greyjoy Rebellion. 

Likely, but not necessarily. His father could be defeat in Robert's Rebellion, or other conflicts.

*apologies if this isn't a small question but I'm not so sure it merits its own thread - - -

Do you ever think of Cersei (as in her POV chapters in AFFC) as a bit of a cautionary tale as to what happens when you take prophecy seriously? I'm talking maggy the frog of course. I mean aside from everything else about Cersei (gods be good I could go on and on and on) she firmly believes in that prophecy whether she says so explicitly or not it's clear from her actions that she does. And of course it's destroying her. 

Edited by trazayn

17 hours ago, trazayn said:

*apologies if this isn't a small question but I'm not so sure it merits its own thread - - -

Do you ever think of Cersei (as in her POV chapters in AFFC) as a bit of a cautionary tale as to what happens when you take prophecy seriously? I'm talking maggy the frog of course. I mean aside from everything else about Cersei (gods be good I could go on and on and on) she firmly believes in that prophecy whether she says so explicitly or not it's clear from her actions that she does. And of course it's destroying her. 

Of course! The only reasons her prophecy starts to come true is that she believes it will. The more she tries to stop it, the more it happens. She puts her children in danger while telling herself its to keep them safe, and she causes her own downfall when she goes after Margaery. It is likely meant to foreshadow Melisandre/the fandom's obsession with the Azor Ahai savior prophecy. People believe it to be real, and will sacrifice anything to make it happen. 

18 hours ago, trazayn said:

Cersei lost Joffrey long before she started to take the prophecy seriously - just as she had three children with Jaime without actually wanting to make the prophecy come true - so things are more complex there. Her preventing it from coming true had nothing to do with Robert whoring around or conceiving three children with Jaime. If she had believed in the prophecy back then she would have had at least one child with Robert.

You have to keep in mind that Qyburn is right - you can prevent a prophecy from coming true if you have interpreted it correctly and have the means to change it. If Melisandre and Stannis had had realized that an image of a guy wearing Renly's armor doesn't necessarily mean Renly must wear it (although he would have worn it in a scenario where he was still alive) and they had had the means to seize and destroy the armor then neither Renly nor 'Renly's Ghost' would have worn the armor at the Blackwater.

If Margaery were the younger, more beautiful queen then Cersei and Qyburn could definitely destroy her - and might have already succeeded at that (there is a chance that Margaery is not going to survive the current affair, at least not as a queen). The problem is that they are wrong about the queen - it could be Arianne, it could be Sansa, it could be Daenerys, it could even be an unknown beautiful woman who is going to become queen later on.

There are other prophecies that have been prevented by certain characters - Mirri Maz Duur ensured Rhaego would not become the Stallion that Mounts the World.

How involved/responsible Cersei will be in the deaths of Tommen and Myrcella remains to be seen - but she is completely blameless in Myrcella's disfigurement.

54 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

There are other prophecies that have been prevented by certain characters - Mirri Maz Duur ensured Rhaego would not become the Stallion that Mounts the World.

She didn't prevented anything. She didn't caused any harm to Rhaego. He was born alive, and then kidnapped by Dothraki. So he will eventually become the Stallion that Mounts the World. Furthermore it was Mirri's actions that assured this outcome. If she did saved Drogo, and restored his health and mind, then Drogo would have remained to be Khal of his khalasar, instead now that khalasar belongs to Rhaego, with Khal Pono as Rhaego's "regent". Thus all prophecies does come true, and they are inevitable. Whatever characters will do, all their actions will lead to fullfilment of the prophecy, even if what they were doing was supposed to prevent it from happening.