Small Questions v. 10106

Rhaenys_Targaryen

Why and how Varys kept his old job and outlived Aerys II?

After all as a competent spy master he should have been among most hated people in Westeros at least to all those who rebelled against or whose kin were killed by Aerys II.

Another thing is that Varys is not westerosi and neither has any known noble pedigree so ruling elite should have hated a queer peasant from Essos who had so much power over them.

On 3/17/2019 at 6:09 PM, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

All possible. However, if it was indeed a person from KL who provided Ned with the information, why did Ned first go to lift the siege of Storm's End, instead of sending another to do the task while he himself went to retrieve Lyanna?

Entire threads can be filled with speculation about this :)

Ahh! perhaps not such a small question then. I was wondering because if someone told him then there may be someone running around who also knows the truth of R+L=J apart from HR, which of course has a whole new set of implications.

22 hours ago, Loose Bolt said:

After all as a competent spy master he should have been among most hated people in Westeros at least to all those who rebelled against or whose kin were killed by Aerys II.

Another thing is that Varys is not westerosi and neither has any known noble pedigree so ruling elite should have hated a queer peasant from Essos who had so much power over them.

Presumably, he made himself useful to the new king right away. 

On 3/18/2019 at 12:40 PM, Loose Bolt said:

Varys knew that the headman's ax was always hovering over his neck, (and even says things to the effect in the books), so he must have made himself useful enough to the new regime.

Since Robert was not all that interested in ruling, Jon Arryn's opinion of Varys may have gone a long way and it may have even been Jon's decision to pardon Varys.

We also don't know what other help Varys provided in terms of betraying others to the new regime.

Looking at the list of people who have served as Master of Whisperers, almost all are foreigners, cripples, eunuchs, and/or bastards.  Not a group of people held in high regard, so for nobles, they may think that dirty work, like spying, is for those beneath them.

49 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Anybody know what's up with the next installment of the Tales of Dunk and Egg? 

GRRM has mentioned story ideas about The She-Wolves of Winterfell and The Village Hero, and titles like "The Sellsword," "The Champion," "The Kingsguard," "The Lord Commander," noting that there might be several more in between. But he says, "There's no telling when I will have time to finish either of these, or which one I will write first.  I don't expect I will know more until I've delivered THE WINDS OF WINTER."

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Dunk_and_Egg#Planned_Installments

https://grrm.livejournal.com/365715.html

https://grrm.livejournal.com/412015.html?thread=20463983#t20463983

5 hours ago, Bael's Bastard said:

GRRM has mentioned story ideas about The She-Wolves of Winterfell and The Village Hero, and titles like "The Sellsword," "The Champion," "The Kingsguard," "The Lord Commander," noting that there might be several more in between. But he says, "There's no telling when I will have time to finish either of these, or which one I will write first.  I don't expect I will know more until I've delivered THE WINDS OF WINTER."

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Dunk_and_Egg#Planned_Installments

https://grrm.livejournal.com/365715.html

https://grrm.livejournal.com/412015.html?thread=20463983#t20463983

Thanks. I meant something more recent, but I do appreciate the response. 

18 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I'm not sure if he has said anything more recent, or provided any new information about Dunk and Egg in general, or particular stories he has in mind. He doesn't seem to intend to get into them until at least after he finishes TWOW, if not ADOS.

Could someone help me find the quote that says that Aemon the Dragonknight took his vows of the KG shortly after Aegon and Naerys were wed?

All I can find are the quotes that say Aemon was seventeen when he took his vows, and that Aegon and Naerys were wed in 153 AC (the year Aemon turned 17).

Looking specifically for the "shorty after the wedding" quote. Help would be much appreciated! :)

I'm not sure if it's ok to post some Show "world" trivia here, but I want to ask what are your thoughts about Tyrion saying Kings Landing has a population of 1 million? It seems pretty canon in the show that 1 million is the population of KL. As far as I can remember it's only half a million. 

Edited by ninewinter

On 3/28/2019 at 12:16 PM, ninewinter said:

I'm not sure if it's ok to post some Show "world" trivia here, but I want to ask what are your thoughts about Tyrion saying Kings Landing has a population of 1 million? It seems pretty canon in the show that 1 million is the population of KL. As far as I can remember it's only half a million. 

Tyrion claims half a million in ASOS, and as far as I am aware, no higher number has been stated so far.

On 3/20/2019 at 11:54 PM, Lost Melnibonean said:

The hints we might be able to draw from the Jaime chapter in ADwD - the visit to Pennytree and the stuff about the tree there, along with the fact that it is introduced as a royal fief - imply that the plans/drafts/plot for 'The Village Hero' are at least as far, if not farther, than the concept for the Winterfell story.

If George were to write TVH before the Winterfell story he could easily postpone the latter yet again considering that it would be remarkably easy for Dunk & Egg to have a chance encounter with some Pennytree fellow on the road, and then deciding to visit the place. Not to mention that TMK already foreshadowed another Bracken-Blackwood feud due to Otho becoming the new Bracken heir.

It might even turn out that Egg ends up claiming Pennytree as a royal fief at the end of that story.

Other than that I think the most recent official information came from the Epilogue of the collection, where George first confirmed that Dunk & Egg will go to Essos - a fact that is also implied but not necessarily confirmed by the title 'The Sellsword' - there are sellswords in Westeros, too, after all.

It's been mentioned that there is a winter town near to Winterfell. Do we know whether this town derives any benefits from the famous Winterfell hot springs? I haven't seen mention of hot springs outside Winterfell itself. However, often where there is one hot spring there will be others in the area. Does the Winterfell winter town have some nearby that makes it particularly vital as a winter town? I am guessing that all the larger castles have some sort of winter town in their vicinity and that places like Barrowton and White Harbor are significantly more full during winter as well, but perhaps these don't grow quite to the degree of the Winterfell one if that is the case.