NFL 2019 Super Bowl: the restless shade of Mike Martz

DanteGabriel

Jim Caldwell has surfaced.

One of my favorite things about Tony Dungee (who I fucking despise) was his (and Lovie's) penchant for promoting minority coaches and giving them a shot on their own staffs. Herm, Frazier, Rivera just to name a few.

So I think it's great that Brian Flores is giving this Caldwell character a shot at getting into the coaching circuit. The Rooney Rule is a fucking joke, and unfortunately this kind of extra effort from the guys who've broken through is required to get guys their shot that isn't even fair, it's just a fucking shot.

Meanwhile, is there anything more brazenly pathetic than the 'Assistant Head Coach' title they give to washout HC's who don't even warrant a coordinator gig to soothe their pride? Joe Philbin was the 'Assistant Head Coach' for the Colts while he oversaw an Offensive Line group that ruined Andrew Luck's career (he's not ok, his arm will never hold up through 19 or 20 games). Hue Jackson was given this title in Bengal land (maybe twice! but I can't recall exactly if he had that designation when he joined the team as the WR's coach after Oakland fired his ass). Doug Marrone had this title when he was the Jags' O-line coach, there's a shitload of guys who get this meaningless little back pat because the league is so woefully incestuous that front offices will bend over backwards to appease objective failures as long as they'll fill a position on the coaching staff so that they don't have to do something hard like consider GASP! a college coach. Or any of the dozens of 'coaches' on every staff who get paid starvation wages (not unlike the cheerleaders, but almost certainly not as horrifically degrading) to break down film and form scouting reports, all of whom are waiting for a chance that will never come because the FO would rather interview three retread failures than a score of the clearly dedicated personnel who are already in the building.

OH WELL!!!!

They've released the Mic'd Up video for the Owl. It's 40 minutes long so you might not watch the whole thing, but the first minute or so is very amusing:

Excited McVay talks to a fellow coach about how they told him they're going to open the roof later. This is gonna be fun!

Video montage describing how the roof of the stadium works.

Grumpy Belichick badgering the ref about the exact timing of the roof's opening and closing. There's a wind factor!

It's hilarious.

30 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

I approve of there being football in the spring, dislike the name of the league, though. Does the guy in charge call himself a Captain General, or something like that?

The logo is also atrocious. Way too busy.

Meanwhile, since 2010 exactly 3 teams have not played in the Wildcard Round.

Figure out which ones without googling and I'll give the first one who gets it a cookie.

Honor system.

SB Nation posted a nice article this morning summarizing the first weekend of the AAF and everything the new league appears to be getting right. I was discussing this earlier with a colleague and I think this league just might end up being viable. It has a lot of things going for it that previous attempts didn't, at least not in all regards: 

- Growth of college football as a national sport means there are plenty of recognizable names out on the field. Lots of really good college players can't quite hack it in the NFL, but are still capable of producing entertaining football.

- This time of year is a real dead zone for the casual sports fan, certainly up until March Madness begins. This could at least partially fill the void.

- Social media. This in my opinion is the biggest one; entertainment no longer requires a huge mass media marketing campaign, like in the 80s when the USFL was trying to take off. Contrast with today - 95% of people couldn't even name one team in the AAF last week, and yet Saturday night's game outdrew a really good NBA game in the same timeslot. A lot of that was because Twitter blew up over it. If a true star player emerges in the league (especially one of those aforementioned well-known names), look out. 

In other news, Kyler Murray has officially chosen football over baseball. Not the choice I would've made, but it's certainly very interesting and has huge implications for the upcoming draft. 

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

Aww, I was hoping he would sign with the Washington Scumbags.  If they sign enough scumbags, changing the name would be easy!

The Browns are going to be good this year. Don’t be surprised if they win the division.  

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

That’s a hell of a backfield in Cleveland. 

Gotta be best in the league.  

Duke is their worst back, and Duke is one of the best third down backs in the league.

Of course, Hunt probably won't play for at least the first six games.

On 2/10/2019 at 6:58 PM, Jace, Basilissa said:

The logo is also atrocious. Way too busy.

Meanwhile, since 2010 exactly 3 teams have not played in the Wildcard Round.

Figure out which ones without googling and I'll give the first one who gets it a cookie.

Honor system.

I'll take a crack at the cookie since no one else has.

Cleveland, New England? since they always win division?, Chicago? I don't remember them in playoffs in a while and they won division this year, I think?

I'm gonna try to catch a game of the new league, if I can remember it exists.

Good catch on the Pats. I was having a hell of a time figuring out the third team the other day and then forgot about it until you posted.

Cleveland and Tampa are the other two, with an honorable mention to the Jets who were last in the wildcard in 2010.

4 hours ago, dbunting said:

I'll take a crack at the cookie since no one else has.

Cleveland, New England? since they always win division?, Chicago? I don't remember them in playoffs in a while and they won division this year, I think?

I'm gonna try to catch a game of the new league, if I can remember it exists.

44 minutes ago, briantw said:

Good catch on the Pats. I was having a hell of a time figuring out the third team the other day and then forgot about it until you posted.

Cleveland and Tampa are the other two, with an honorable mention to the Jets who were last in the wildcard in 2010.

Good job boys. I have good news. If you complete the next puzzle there will be a party and we will have cake!

15 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Good job boys. I have good news. If you complete the next puzzle there will be a party and we will have cake!

Ahh Tampa... damn it

And I was looking forward to Jaces' cookie! Urban dictionary pun inserted here

Archived