NFL 2019 Super Bowl: the restless shade of Mike Martz

DanteGabriel

1 minute ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

Uh, the Flacco trade still dosen't solve the long term solution the Broncos need at QB. Their lack of talent on offense dosen't help them either.

They're doing a worse version of what the Vikings did. Replacing a mobile high variance passer with a statue behind a Swiss cheese line for more money and thinking that'll solve everything.

13 minutes ago, Triskele said:

I'm not sure that's quite true.  Flacco still has some height and arm talent that Keenum will just never have.  How much of an upgrade it is may be debatable, but unless Flacco has a massive crater from injury it's an upgrade.  

That height and arm talent haven't translated to shit since they won the Super Bowl.  Joe Flacco is a bottom ten QB, and Keenum was indisputably better last year.  This year it's tough to judge because Flacco got replaced by a rookie who the team barely trusted enough to throw the ball.

I'd also like to specifically refute the idea that Flacco has arm talent.  Baker Mayfield and Patrick Mahomes have arm talent.  They can sling the ball with precise accuracy all over the field.  Flacco can bomb it, but he's not an elite arm talent by any means.  He's not a guy who is going to drill it into tight windows.  He's never been that guy.  He's not even that accurate downfield.  He's just got a big arm.  Being able to chuck the ball sixty yards is not arm talent.  Being able to chuck the ball sixty yards and consistently hit your receiver in stride is.  Flacco is the former.

47 minutes ago, briantw said:

I'd also like to specifically refute the idea that Flacco has arm talent.

Are..are we really talking about "arm talent" like it's an actual thing and not just some made up variable so scouts can justify their salary?  Arm strength and accuracy, that's it.  Put it into Madden since I was like ten years old.

34 minutes ago, DMC said:

Are..are we really talking about "arm talent" like it's an actual thing and not just some made up variable so scouts can justify their salary?  Arm strength and accuracy, that's it.  Put it into Madden since I was like ten years old.

Okay, then he's fucking inaccurate. Does the defense rest?

He's 42-41 since that Superbowl when the defense disappeared into the wind.

19 minutes ago, DMC said:

That clip is hot.  But you can't pose as the defense and the judge in successive posts.  C'mon!

Brett Kavanaugh did.

And you're outta line! One more disruption to my court and I'll have you held in contempt!

Meanwhile, Pilot Flying J ends multi-million dollar advertising deal with ESPN after Seth Wickersham's article on the kleptocratic bosses incompetence with the Browns.

profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/13/pilot-flying-j-retaliates-against-espn-over-story-of-browns-dysfunction/

13 hours ago, briantw said:

Sorry, but in 2019, Joe Flacco is not an upgrade to Case Keenum.  At best it's a wash, and both guys are overpaid.

I think he is an upgrade, albeit a small one.  And he's certainly better suited for mentorship of the young QB they almost certainly will draft.

2 hours ago, Bronn Stone said:

I think he is an upgrade, albeit a small one.  And he's certainly better suited for mentorship of the young QB they almost certainly will draft.

Is he?  Because he didn't seem like a great mentor to Jackson.  He seemed pretty salty they didn't give him the starting spot back.

16 minutes ago, briantw said:

Is he?  Because he didn't seem like a great mentor to Jackson.  He seemed pretty salty they didn't give him the starting spot back.

And repeatedly refused to throw wide open TD's to Jackson in the RedZone because he didn't want him to look good.

4 hours ago, briantw said:

By NFL standards, his reaction was mild.  If you want bad mentorship, read up on Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers.

http://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/48357/in-classy-exit-joe-flacco-provides-smooth-handoff-to-lamar-jackson

1 minute ago, Bronn Stone said:

By NFL standards, his reaction was mild.  If you want bad mentorship, read up on Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers.

Dude, you're out on a limb here for a guy who is measurably worse than Case Keenum in every category (not significantly, mind you, but measurable all the same) and adopting arguments on the fly. He's not better suited for mentorship than Case Keenum because Case Keenum was a consummate professional in LA with Jared Goff and Goff has specifically praised Keenum for helping him before.

Flacco was sullen, despondent, and refused to advance the team's interest whenever Jackson was on the field in a position to help him do so.

Let me drop some numbers on you from the last 4 years that you'll determinedly hand wave away.

TD % Flacco 3.2 Keenum 3.5

INT% Flaco 2.29 Keenum 2.25

Rating Flacco 82.7 Keenum 86.1

Yards per Attempt Flacco 6.32 Keenum 6.91

Adjusted Air Yards Flacco 5.92 Keenum 6.60

Adjusted Net Yards per Attempt Flacco 5.36 Keenum 5.92

Game Winning Drives Flacco 5 Keenum 9

Those numbers are pretty similar, but you'll notice that Keenum is demonstrably better (albeit slightly). And what's the thing that Keenum has which Flacco lacks? Mobility. And behind an offensive line that Elway has failed to repair for almost a decade what do you think would be very useful to avoid another injury to a constantly injured 34 year old gangled freakshow with back and hip problems?

Here's a little excerpt from a Ringer article to put those numbers into perspective

-

Of the 36 quarterbacks to play in at least 25 games since 2015, Flacco is dead last in yards per attempt, tied for last in touchdown percentage, and 32nd in passer rating. The Broncos will pay him $18.5 million next season, and gave up a draft pick for the right to do so.

-

6 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

So did I see this right that Kaep is settling his lawsuit, and is going to get somewhere between $65 and $80m?

Kaep and Reid are settling their lawsuit.

After a drawn-out process that lasted nearly two years, Colin Kaepernick and Eric Reid's collusion case against the NFL has officially come to an end. Friday afternoon, his lawyer, Mark Geragos, and the NFL both put out a statement saying that the matter had officially been resolved. Terms of the agreements were not revealed, and they will not see the light of day due to the confidentiality agreement. 

"For the past several months, counsel for Mr. Kaepernick and Mr. Reid have engaged in an ongoing dialogue with representatives of the NFL. As a result of those discussions, the parties have decided to resolve the pending grievances. The resolution of this matter is subject to a confidentiality agreement so there will be no further comment by any party."

I don't know where you got that $65-$80 million figure.  It looks like nobody is allowed to comment on what the figure is "officially" although I imagine it will leak out unofficially, and it could very well be in the 60-80 million range.

Personally I'm a little disappointed, I'd hoped that Kaep would go to arbitration/trial and win.  But I can't blame anybody for wanting to put an end to this nonsense, and I'm sure he made a good chunk of change for it (not to mention the Nike deal).  Certainly an easier and safer way to make money than playing football.   

3 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Kaep and Reid are settling their lawsuit.

I don't know where you got that $65-$80 million figure.  It looks like nobody is allowed to comment on what the figure is "officially" although I imagine it will leak out unofficially, and it could very well be in the 60-80 million range.

Personally I'm a little disappointed, I'd hoped that Kaep would go to arbitration/trial and win.  But I can't blame anybody for wanting to put an end to this nonsense, and I'm sure he made a good chunk of change for it (not to mention the Nike deal).  Certainly an easier and safer way to make money than playing football.   

It was from here:

https://twitter.com/mikefreemanNFL/status/1096495453548564480

1 minute ago, Maithanet said:

I too feel a bit let down but also relieved? 

Let down because I wanted him to get an outright victory.

Relieved because I think he's a very weak champion of the issues and I'm kinda glad I don't have to ignore his big negatives.

Archived