NFL 2019 Super Bowl: the restless shade of Mike Martz

DanteGabriel

2 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I too feel a bit let down but also relieved? 

Let down because I wanted him to get an outright victory.

Relieved because I think he's a very weak champion of the issues and I'm kinda glad I don't have to ignore his big negatives.

This is good enough in my book. It leaves me with the impression that there was enough there to spook the NFL. 

2 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Let down because I wanted him to get an outright victory.

Relieved because I think he's a very weak champion of the issues and I'm kinda glad I don't have to ignore his big negatives.

I don't know why he's supposed to be a "very weak champion" of the issues.  What the hell did you want?

As for the settlement, we'll probably never know.  Not gonna fault either player for settling, especially Kaep, who looks thoroughly screwed professionally no matter what.

31 minutes ago, DMC said:

I don't know why he's supposed to be a "very weak champion" of the issues.  What the hell did you want?

As for the settlement, we'll probably never know.  Not gonna fault either player for settling, especially Kaep, who looks thoroughly screwed professionally no matter what.

Speaking of Kaep and his career, was he right to make that kind of demand from the AAF? I can really see both sides and idk how to feel about it. 

27 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Speaking of Kaep and his career, was he right to make that kind of demand from the AAF? I can really see both sides and idk how to feel about it. 

Oh come on.  Everyone else is making $250K, aren't they?  I suspect that you know how to feel about Kaep asking for $20M, but you don't want to feel that feeling because you like him.

23 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I suspect that you know how to feel about Kaep asking for $20M

Don't need to suspect, I know I'd feel almost insistent on Kaep getting at least ten times that in the settlement.  Who gives a shit about AAF?  And why is Ty not supposed to want to feel a certain way?  This sounds like you want me to get in your van.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

He's a fucking idiot and also has no idea what he's doing. There's a laundry list of weird tweets he made or reposted. He defended Fidel Castro and spouted some fancy facts about Cuban Communism that ignored context serving to kneecap a significant portion of his potential supporters. His lawyer was a fool who made him look bad in the press by constantly promising bombshells that never materialized. He said Clinton and Donald were the same and he wouldn't vote (giving up your birthright guaranteed agency for change is a bad look in a rights advocate). And he did an altogether piss poor job of getting his (HUGELY sympathetic) story out there where normies could find out how much of a genuinely good dude he seems to be. 

All that and I didn't even mention the Pigs socks. Because those were awesome and I'll defend the decision based on that fact alone.

I admire the guy a lot, but he's the hero America deserved.

20 minutes ago, DMC said:

Don't need to suspect, I know I'd feel almost insistent on Kaep getting at least ten times that in the settlement.  Who gives a shit about AAF?  And why is Ty not supposed to want to feel a certain way?  This sounds like you want me to get in your van.

Because asking for $20 million in a league where everyone else is making $250K is a dick move, that's why.  A move so dickish that an objective person would recognize it as such 9/10.

6 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

He defended Fidel Castro and spouted some fancy facts about Cuban Communism that ignored context serving to kneecap a significant portion of his potential supporters. His lawyer was a fool who made him look bad in the press by constantly promising bombshells that never materialized. He said Clinton and Donald were the same and he wouldn't vote (giving up your birthright guaranteed agency for change is a bad look in a rights advocate). And he did an altogether piss poor job of getting his (HUGELY sympathetic) story out there where normies could find out how much of a genuinely good dude he seems to be. 

So...He's a leftist.  I'm absolutely SHOCKED.

All that and I didn't even mention the Pigs socks. Because those were awesome and I'll defend the decision based on that fact alone.

The pig socks were the shit.

I admire the guy a lot, but he's the hero America deserved.

If you wanted the hero we needed, yeah, no.  Not gonna fault Kaep for that though.

1 minute ago, Cas Stark said:

Because asking for $20 million in a league where everyone else is making $250K is a dick move, that's why.  A move so dickish that an objective person would recognize it as such 9/10.

Oh, so Kaep is wrong for getting as much as he can from the NFL because they've clearly determined he's not allowed to play.  That makes sense how?  He's supposed to take the lowest possible salary as compensation because why?  Isn't your side all into capitalism and the free market and stuff?

Just now, Cas Stark said:

Actually, while I could easily add that to the list of blunders, as the de facto superstar... like SuperDUPERextraSuper star of a brand new league featuring no names and local high school heroes, he would pretty reasonably be worth that amount in extra revenue. Kaepernick has a shitload of supporters, and was a bona fide star in the NFL before getting hurt. A lot more than 2.9 million people would have tuned in to see him play in a freak show league be they fans wanting to see him succeed or detractors hoping he died on the field.

Like I said though, just giving them that figure was a massive mistake and indicative of his poor ability to formulate strategy.

Just now, Jace, Basilissa said:

Actually, while I could easily add that to the list of blunders, as the de facto superstar... like SuperDUPERextraSuper star of a brand new league featuring no names and local high school heroes, he would pretty reasonably be worth that amount in extra revenue. Kaepernick has a shitload of supporters, and was a bona fide star in the NFL before getting hurt. A lot more than 2.9 million people would have tuned in to see him play in a freak show league be they fans wanting to see him succeed or detractors hoping he died on the field.

Like I said though, just giving them that figure was a massive mistake and indicative of his poor ability to formulate strategy.

I mean, maybe if he asked for $5million, that would be somewhat reasonable given his name recognition and supporter base, but $20 million when the rest of the players are barely making six figures is insulting and dickish.  IMO.

Just now, Cas Stark said:

I mean, maybe if he asked for $5million, that would be somewhat reasonable given his name recognition and supporter base, but $20 million when the rest of the players are barely making six figures is insulting and dickish.  IMO.

I agree. 

But from a purely capitalist viewpoint he had a figure he felt he was worth that is not impossible to reason regarding cost/return. They asked, he answered.

I really wish he'd just said nothing, but there it is.

Curious to hear thoughts on the Eric Reid side of things in this settlement. He ripped Malcolm Jenkins and practically tried to fight the guy on the field over taking money from the NFL for the Players Coalition. This link is an article from the Undefeated on that incident and what Reid's issues were. Now that he's taken the NFL's money for himself, should people now question whether Reid was actually in this to try and force change in the NFL like he wanted Jenkins to do before the Players Coalition took money from the NFL or was he just looking to get paid?

17 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Have you met America? Is there anything more American that extreme income inequality? That disparity is nothing compared to the typical CEO and their minimum wage and contract workers.

Archived