NFL 2019 Super Bowl: the restless shade of Mike Martz

DanteGabriel

2 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I'LL PUT YOU TO REST!!!

We need to be able to figure out a way to talk about Case Keenum on this board without death threats. 

4 hours ago, Bronn Stone said:

I think that deal puts to rest the notion that any team in the NFL thinks Case Keenum is a starting-caliber NFL quarterback.

Well, he is a starting-caliber NFL quarterback.

But unfortunately the league has 32 starting spots but only about 20 good NFL QBs.  

9 minutes ago, briantw said:

Well, he is a starting-caliber NFL quarterback.

But unfortunately the league has 32 starting spots but only about 20 good NFL QBs.  

But that wasn't even the price for QB32.  That was the price for "we think maybe he can compete with Colt McCoy".

Just now, Bronn Stone said:

But that wasn't even the price for QB32.  That was the price for "we think maybe he can compete with Colt McCoy".

Well, most teams either have a better QB already, a young unproven QB they are still testing out, or are about to draft one.  The market for a bottom five to ten QB is never going to be much of anything, especially a bottom five to ten QB making eight million.  

1 minute ago, Bronn Stone said:

I think you are making my point, that there isn't one team out there who thinks he's a significant upgrade over what they have.

I'm gonna upgrade your significance in about two seconds!!!

2 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

I think you are making my point, that there isn't one team out there who thinks he's a significant upgrade over what they have.

Well right, but he is an NFL starting-caliber QB.  Just a bottom five to ten one, which isn't very valuable.  

23 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Because I can't break the golden rule in another thread, I have to come here.

Damn you @Ramsay B., damn you!

Funny story. A guy I know who is 30 years my senior and a former pro golfer said after the draft that drafting Ponder was the single best pick since Moss. I had my doubts because I saw his game tape, but I trusted him. So much for that. But then again I really wanted Dalton, which leads me to say that I was the lesser of two morons.

And again, damn you!

I couldn’t resist.

I remember a Vikings fan at work asking me about Ponder, since I watched most of his college games, and I didn’t know what to say? Like I actually started to doubt myself because so many “experts” were seeing stuff about his game and potential that I just never did. Such an odd fucking pick. 

So Giants lose the only guy to get any kind of pressure on the QB, but gain a guy who is a little cheaper and rated the highest pass blocking guard last year. Also they’re gonna lose Collins. I get that they’re both injury-prone, not worth the money and the O-line was a hot mess, but I don’t know what Gettleman’s plans are for this already awful defense? They have zero edge pressure now. Draft Haskins and go DL for a few rounds? Rosen? 

26 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

So Giants lose the only guy to get any kind of pressure on the QB, but gain a guy who is a little cheaper and rated the highest pass blocking guard last year. Also they’re gonna lose Collins. I get that they’re both injury-prone, not worth the money and the O-line was a hot mess, but I don’t know what Gettleman’s plans are for this already awful defense? They have zero edge pressure now. Draft Haskins and go DL for a few rounds? Rosen? 

Feels like a solid deal for both sides.  Browns drafted a tackle in the second last year and presumably want to move him up to starter this year, and they needed more edge help with Ogbah being just all right last year.  Giants add a solid OL guy to protect the QB they're presumably going to draft this year.

Giants defense is gonna be a dumpster fire, though.  Maybe the plan is to tank one more year with Eli and then draft a guy near or at the top next year.  Although OBJ might openly revolt if he's subjected to that.

1 hour ago, briantw said:

Well right, but he is an NFL starting-caliber QB.  Just a bottom five to ten one, which isn't very valuable.  

I think we're in a loop here.  But if EVERY team thinks he's no better than what they have, he is not the #23 QB.  Or #28.  Or #32.

Because that trade was all but a gift.  That was Denver dumping him like a turd.

5 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

I think we're in a loop here.  But if EVERY team thinks he's no better than what they have, he is not the #23 QB.  Or #28.  Or #32.

Because that trade was all but a gift.  That was Denver dumping him like a turd.

Yeah but what the fuck does Denver know about what he could have been worth. They just traded away a potential special teams back up for Joe goddamn Flacco.

39 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

I'd look at it this way...

We know for a fact that Case Keenum is not a franchise QB.  He's probably not the worst QB in the league, but he's near the bottom.  

If you're a bad team, what does Keenum do for you?  He might be a slight upgrade over what you've got, but if you're bad, you probably have a shitty QB, and if you've got a shitty QB, a slight upgrade isn't what you want.  

If you're a good team, he's probably a downgrade at QB.  And he's likely making more than you want your backup to make to boot.  He's the type of guy you'd look to trade for after your starter got hurt, not before, as good teams usually don't have the cap space to overpay backups.

Just doesn't leave much of a market for him.

And, shockingly, a team with an injured (and possibly done) starter is the one who made a deal for him.

Further, does anyone honestly think that Joe Flacco is an upgrade over Case Keenum?  At best, it's a wash.  Perhaps Elway is just a fucking idiot when it comes to QB evaluations?  We have a few years worth of evidence of that now, after all.

Antonio Brown to the Raiders for a 3rd and a 5th, and apparently they are giving him close to $20 million a year on a new contract. Wow y'all. Brown drove his trade price down pretty well and then got his fat contract.

Yeah Brown won that exchange with us. He got everything he wanted. Traded and guaranteed money. Also, not a bad deal at all for the Raiders in terms of draft picks. They keep the late first round picks and also the early second. I'm disappointed but not really surprised. I Was hoping for the early second round pick or one of the late first round picks, but we really had no leverage at all. At least we don't have to pay the $2M bonus to him. Oh well, good riddance. 

I'd say I don't really see the logic of this move from the Raiders side, and they may end up regretting that contract, it's hard to really bitch too much because they basically got the guy for free.  Also, Pittsburgh is left with twenty million in dead money.  Yikes.

I feel like this makes the Raiders likely to trade up for Murray.

Apparently the Washington Scumbags are going to sign Landon Collins to a 6 years, $84 million deal.  Seems like a pretty standard quick-fix sorta move.

I remember that he made a huge splash his rookie year, but everything I read indicated his play had tailed off since then and teams had started to exploit him in coverage.  Nonetheless, I was really surprised the Giants let him walk.  It would seem that Washington still thinks he's an elite safety at that price. 

Archived