NFL 2019 Super Bowl: the restless shade of Mike Martz

DanteGabriel

17 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

It looks like conventional wisdom is that the Browns got the best of the OBJ trade, which I guess I can see when you consider the amount of offensive skill they've put together. I can see how OBJ's presence allows Landry and Calloway to be slot into roles they're better suited to. But I am still naturally skeptical that trading a bunch of assets for a mercurial, expensive receiver is a winning strategy. It's too bad Hard Knocks did Cleveland last year -- they're the most interesting team of the upcoming off-season for sure.

It's worth noting that, while Beckham and Landry are making about thirty million combined, Cleveland is still spending less or roughly the same on their skill positions as a whole compared to most other teams that would be qualified as contenders.

Browns - $59 million
Colts - $70 mil
Patriots - $67 mil
Chargers - $66 mil
Saints - $56 mil
Chiefs - $55 mil
Rams - $50 mil

And the Rams and Chiefs both have QB extensions coming up a year earlier than Cleveland (plus Tyreek Hill is gonna get paid).

Now, Cleveland does still have to re-sign Higgins, but I'm guessing that won't be a particularly ridiculous expense.  

Anyway, that's the benefit of having a QB making seven million, two top five to ten NFL RBs making less than three million combined, and a very good young TE still on his rookie deal.  They've got Callaway on a rookie deal as well, and while he probably won't get as many targets this year, he will probably be wide open a lot and he was a borderline first round talent who fell due to off the field issues. 

1 hour ago, briantw said:

It's worth noting that, while Beckham and Landry are making about thirty million combined, Cleveland is still spending less or roughly the same on their skill positions as a whole compared to most other teams that would be qualified as contenders.

Browns - $59 million
Colts - $70 mil
Patriots - $67 mil
Chargers - $66 mil
Saints - $56 mil
Chiefs - $55 mil
Rams - $50 mil

And the Rams and Chiefs both have QB extensions coming up a year earlier than Cleveland (plus Tyreek Hill is gonna get paid).

Now, Cleveland does still have to re-sign Higgins, but I'm guessing that won't be a particularly ridiculous expense.  

Anyway, that's the benefit of having a QB making seven million, two top five to ten NFL RBs making less than three million combined, and a very good young TE still on his rookie deal.  They've got Callaway on a rookie deal as well, and while he probably won't get as many targets this year, he will probably be wide open a lot and he was a borderline first round talent who fell due to off the field issues. 

That's a good point, thanks for running down those numbers. My objection to Beckham isn't just the money, it's the behavior. Definitely going to be a lot of volatile personalities in that locker room. Probably for the best they got rid of Todd Haley.

To be clear, I'm pretty excited for this new phase of Browns relevance and competence. I'm eager to see a new pecking order in the AFC North.

4 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

That's a good point, thanks for running down those numbers. My objection to Beckham isn't just the money, it's the behavior. Definitely going to be a lot of volatile personalities in that locker room. Probably for the best they got rid of Todd Haley.

I think it's interesting how the media portrays athletes' sideline behavior so differently based on if they like the guy or not. Brady could easily be seen as a monstrous jerk when viewed through a negative lens. 

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

I think it's interesting how the media portrays athletes' sideline behavior so differently based on if they like the guy or not. Brady could easily be seen as a monstrous jerk when viewed through a negative lens. 

Yeah, most of his behavior issues seem to stem from the fact that the team was garbage and Eli was physically incapable of getting the ball to him effectively.  

He's also very good friends with Jarvis Landry, and they played together in college.  I doubt this trade even happens if Landry isn't on the Browns.  I also don't think he's going to be an issue in Cleveland, provided the team plays like they did in the second half of last season.  Baker seems pretty adept at getting his teammates to buy in, and Beckham's teammates all seem to love him as well.

I think this comes down to a clash with management.  Gettleman is the new guy in charge and wants to show everyone how big his dick is.  Beckham acted out and so he got shipped out.

15 minutes ago, briantw said:

Yeah, most of his behavior issues seem to stem from the fact that the team was garbage and Eli was physically incapable of getting the ball to him effectively.  

He's also very good friends with Jarvis Landry, and they played together in college.  I doubt this trade even happens if Landry isn't on the Browns.  I also don't think he's going to be an issue in Cleveland, provided the team plays like they did in the second half of last season.  Baker seems pretty adept at getting his teammates to buy in, and Beckham's teammates all seem to love him as well.

I watched a highlight reel of Eli missing him when he was wide open and it was offensive. Is anyone shocked that he wasn't motivated to cape for him? 

I agree he'll fit in fine, and I don't expect him to be a problem either, though the media will find a way to make it look that way. And you're right, Baker does seem to be a natural leader of men. I personally swooned for him when he went onto Cowherd's show and absolutely destroyed him to his face. If Baker continues to progress, the Browns should be the favorite in the AFC North.

Question though, can Hunt play in the slot? Having a 2WR/2RB/TE formation with Hunt moving all over the place could be impossible to defend.

I think this comes down to a clash with management.  Gettleman is the new guy in charge and wants to show everyone how big his dick is.  Beckham acted out and so he got shipped out.

Word is all the Panthers players hated his guts by the time he was out with the organization.

I'm more in line with ownership forcing Gettleman to sign OBJ last year to that contract and then Gettleman saying this year "I told you so" to the owners..... otherwise it makes absolutely zero sense to sign him to that contract then trade him 10 months later...............also, important to note, how many of the best/elite receivers won SBs?  Only 3(I think) of the top 10 receivers have won SBs

15 minutes ago, briantw said:

I mean he had some cringe moments on the field, but I usually was always on his side about his post-game comments because of what you said. Most of it was from his desire to win, and being fed up with the Giants incompetence.

Like when he was questioning not attacking Eagles CB’s when they were starting practice players that one game? Why continue to run long, drawn out plays with an awful O-line when OBJ is incredibly dangerous on simple slants. I know I’m just venting now but this team has just lost it. Poor Barkley.

Honestly I think the Giants can go one of three routes. You can either (i) trade the sixth pick and the Browns  pick to move up to second and secure Haskins (or Murray I guess), (ii) trade back from the sixth spot for a haul and hope you get one of the second tier QBs at 17 (and really, all four projected first round QBs may be varying levels of second tier) or (iii) trade out of the sixth spot, skip a QB at 17 and go all in on Tanking for Tua. 

Also, Barkley needs to "tear" his ACL during mini-camps.

But regardless, the Giants and the Dolphins are competing for worst team of 2019, and the difference between worst and next to last could alter a franchise's future for the next two decades. 

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Honestly I think the Giants can go one of three routes. You can either (i) trade the sixth pick and the Browns  pick to move up to second and secure Haskins (or Murray I guess), 

You know teams are just licking their chops with this one. I expect to see a lot more rumors about teams being suddenly interested in taking a QB now. 

They can also try and get Rosen with one of those 1st round picks. 

Good to see you plebs taking Dante to task here. Beckham is a 'cancer', Bell 'quit on his teammates', but Antonio Brown is still desirable enough that idiots were shouting from the rooftops that it would take a 1st rounder to get him as little as a week ago after he ACTUALLY WALKED OUT on his teammates.

It's all filtered through lens of the people doing the reporting.

35 minutes ago, the Greenleif Stark said:

I'm more in line with ownership forcing Gettleman to sign OBJ last year to that contract and then Gettleman saying this year "I told you so" to the owners..... otherwise it makes absolutely zero sense to sign him to that contract then trade him 10 months later...............also, important to note, how many of the best/elite receivers won SBs?  Only 3(I think) of the top 10 receivers have won SBs

Really, nothing the Giants have done has made sense.  They had the second pick overall in a solid QB draft and a QB who was old and awful.  They also had arguably the league's best receiver, a solid WR2, and a promising young TE on a rookie deal.

Then, instead of taking a QB at second overall, they took a fucking RB.  Good RBs are a dime a dozen.  I also think that a good scheme can make any RB look good (see: Chiefs, Rams), and thus having an elite RB is a luxury, not something you should ever waste a first round pick on.,

Archived