Poll: Is the House with the Red Door in Dorne?

Platypus Rex

This is a poll.  Please answer "Yes" or "No" to the following question:

Is the House with the Red Door, which Daenerys Remembers from her Childhood as being in Braavos, Actually Somewhere in Dorne?

For context, this obviously relates to an idea dubbed "Lemongate", "Lemongate", by itself, means only that the lemon-tree outside Dany's window, and its seeming inconsistency with the climate of Braavos, is a clue to some mystery or secret about Dany's past.  However, "the lemon tree means something", by itself, is not much of a theory.  Slightly braver theorists have guessed that the lemon tree is a signal that the house with the red door is actually somewhere far to the south of Braavos, such as Lys, or Myr or Tyrosh or Dorne (which, for various reasons, is the top suspect), or any other place whose climate might be more friendly to lemons.  Those who reject this idea prefer other explanations for the lemon tree, such as (for instance) Dany was staying at the Sealord's Palace, who maintains a garden, and a menagerie of exotic species.  Still others reject "Lemongate" entirely, arguing that the lemon-tree has no significance at all, and is (for instance) merely a discrepancy left over from an early draft, when her city of exile was situated in the South.

Even braver theorists, have connected these ideas with more elaborate theories, and guessed that Dany is not, as she believes, actually the daughter of Rhaella, born on Dragonstone, but the child of other parents, such as Ashara, or Lyanna, or some random Lysene prostitute or lowborn slave.  However, the above question does not ask you to take a position on such issues.  The question to be answered is simply as stated above in bold.

Please feel free to give reasons for your answers, or otherwise elaborate.  However, please do not argue with the reasons given by other posters for at least a couple of pages.  After that, have at it.

Thanks in advance to all voters.

EDIT:  9 in favor to 32 against, so far.

For "Yes":  TPTWP Timett, Sly Wren, Nezza86, Impbread, Sophia Wilson17, Sigella., Lollygag, Sweet Desire, Black Dragons, and [uncounted] Platypus Rex.

For "No":  Wolf's Bane, chrisdaw. Back door hodor, Ygrain, King Aegon I Targaryen, Vaith, Bowen 747, White Ravens, Missing Benjen, Three-Fingered Pete, Gertrude, Ran, Frey family reunion, bent branch, Megavora, Bael's Bastard, HelmHammerhand, The Map Guy, Morte, SFDanny, Wolf of the Steppes, Faera, Alexis-something-Rose, OtherFromAnotherMother, Clegane'sPup, Enuma Elish, The Transporter, Aline de Gavrillac, Victor Newman, Plain Simple Tailor, Amris, Crona.

----------------------------------------------

Previous "Unpopular Theory" Polls:

"Did Summer See a Dragon?":  7 for to 36 against (16.3%).  Supported by:  Legitimate_Bastard, rustythesmith, TPTWP Timett, Remirem, kleevedge, Gertrude, weetsunray, and [uncounted] Platypus Rex.

"Did Jojen Die Off-Page in DANCE?":  15 for to 29 against (34.1%).  Supported by:  Gertrude, chrisdaw, WyldFyre, Penny's Got a Gun, Megavora, Back door hodor, Lost Melnibonean, Tucu, acwill07, Ibbison from Ibben, Son of Man, Remiem, OtherFromAnotherMother, Lynesse, Jo Maltese, and [uncounted] Platypus Rex. 

Braavos, but it is an irrelevance, the point of the red door isn't any stupid past mystery of Dany's childhood, it is that it symbolically represents "home" to Dany.

Unknown to Dany but it is actually symbolic of her death and her soul's second life within a dragon. The door is at the depths of the dragon's gullet and leads to the dragon's heart, where Dany's soul will go to set it alight, her fiery soul bringing the stone dragon to life, her rebirth as a dragon, what she was meant to be, her soul's true place, her real home.

Besides the one in Dany's memory there are two (sets of) red doors in the series, they are;

The doors to the Great Hall were set in the mouth of a stone dragon. He told the servants to leave him outside. It would be better to enter alone; he must not appear feeble. Leaning heavily on his cane, Cressen climbed the last few steps and hobbled beneath the gateway teeth. A pair of guardsmen opened the heavy red doors before him, unleashing a sudden blast of noise and light. Cressen stepped down into the dragon's maw.

The symbolism overt and mostly self explanatory, but recall after passing through these doors Cressen soon dies. Sacrifices himself actually.

The second set are not really red, but they're still foreshadowing as GRRM turns them red, with, ofcourse, dragon's fire;

Down in the pit, Viserion had snapped one of his chains; he and Rhaegal grew more savage every day. Once the iron doors had glowed red-hot, her Unsullied told her, and no one dared to touch them for a day. "Astapor is under siege as well."

The doors that keep Dany's chained dragons, at the end of a stone arched passageway at the bowels of the pyramid.

And, there is a third rusted red iron door.

The grates were locked, but the iron bars were red with rust. Hodor grabbed hold of the lefthand door and gave it a pull, grunting with effort. Nothing happened. He tried pushing with no more success. He shook the bars, kicked, shoved against them and rattled them and punched the hinges with a huge hand until the air was filled with flakes of rust, but the iron door would not budge. The one down to the undervault was no more accommodating. "No way in," said Meera, shrugging.

And Bran can not pass through it. Bran will not be able to skinchange a dragon.

No, I think Bravos.

The problem with the Dani is not who we think she is  theories for me has always been Viserys.

Dani and Viserys have only been at Illyros manse for half a year at the start of GoT, before that, they were on thier own, just the two of the them, with no servants or money.

He would never accept someone who was not the blood of the dragon as his sister I think, and he is not intelligent enough to see the long term benefits of having a fake sister for alliance and marriage purposes.

The house can be anywhere Viserys and Daenerys visited.  It's a childhood memory.  It is normal for people to get their earliest memories mixed up.  I'm going with Braavos.  Willem and the children were guests of the Sealord.  They had access to his greenhouse and palace.  

The location of the house is irrelevant, since it's only purpose is symbolic.

The lemon tree also only exists for a symbolic reason. The technical details of how and where lemon trees are able grow are completely beside the point.

Perhaps you should add "location irrelevant because symbolism" as a third choice in your poll.

15 minutes ago, The Ned's Little Girl said:

The location of the house is irrelevant, since it's only purpose is symbolic.

The lemon tree also only exists for a symbolic reason. The technical details of how and where lemon trees are able grow are completely beside the point.

Perhaps you should add "location irrelevant because symbolism" as a third choice in your poll.

The poll is binary, accepting or rejecting the bolded proposition, which makes no mention of lemon trees.  "Yes", or "no", with any elaborations you choose, such as"Yes, but irrelevant" or "No, but irrelevant" or "No, I think the lemon tree is merely symbolic",  Shall I put you down as a "No"?

If the series ends with no further revelations about the location of the house with the red door, I would then consider "No" to have been the correct answer.

1 hour ago, Three-Fingered Pete said:

I have to admit I'm a little lost as to why people think that Braavos is not suitable for lemons. Is there a map with an actual longitude on it to know for sure? From what I remember of the weather described there, it's not out of the range of possibility.

Is this a "No" vote?

1 hour ago, Platypus Rex said:

The poll is binary, accepting or rejecting the bolded proposition, which makes no mention of lemon trees.  "Yes", or "no", with any elaborations you choose, such as"Yes, but irrelevant" or "No, but irrelevant" or "No, I think the lemon tree is merely symbolic",  Shall I put you down as a "No"?

None of the above. In all honesty, I can't answer this question in any of these ways.

1 hour ago, Platypus Rex said:

Is this a "No" vote?

I suppose it might as well be since I live in a region that appears comparable in terrain and climate to Braavos and I can see two lemon bushes and an orange bush right outside my kitchen window in my neighbor's yard and down the street there is a lemon tree that produces lemons the size of grapefruit.

3 minutes ago, Three-Fingered Pete said:

I suppose it might as well be since I live in a region that appears comparable in terrain and climate to Braavos and I can see two lemon bushes and an orange bush right outside my kitchen window in my neighbor's yard and down the street there is a lemon tree that produces lemons the size of grapefruit.

I'll put you down as "No".  If you change your mind after people start arguing, you can let me know.

Archived