The Fate of the Dragons in The End Game

DisneyDoc2425

As it is pouring rain here in South Florida (unfortunately not a beach day) I thought I would start a thread regarding the fate of the dragons in season 8. I haven't seen much written about this recently so I thought with the new season starting soon it might be an appropriate topic for discussion/ideas.

GRRM has recently stated in an interview following the release of Fire and Blood that in his books (ASOIAF) his intent in including dragons was to portray them as destructive forces that might enable Daenerys to conquer but do not necessarily enable her to rule. He seemed to portray them as destabilizing forces and as a result, IMHO, there is a decent probability that they will not survive the end game. They will either have to leave Westeros or all die. I think the latter is the more likely of the two. If you are a fan of a Tolkienish form of ending perhaps their deaths will be a lingering emotional pain for Daenerys (assuming she survives) that she will have to deal with for the rest of her life (akin to the physical pain Frodo had to endure after being stabbed by the morgul blade).

There has been some discussions in the past that the dragon's names might be a clue as to their demise. A resurrected Viserion may ultimately be killed by Drogan (akin to Viserys being killed by Drogo). Rhaegal may be killed by the NK in battle (akin to Rhaegar being killed by King R.B. in the Battle of the Trident). Finally we may see Drogon being killed in some manner by Daenerys. Perhaps Drogon goes rouge/mad (not Daenerys), burns KL, and Daenerys may have to order Jon to shoot him down with a resultant scorpion shot thru the eye (similar to the death of Rhaenys Targaryen's dragon Meraxes during the first Dornish War many years ago). Or perhaps she will have to kill Drogan after he suffers mortal wounds in battle (a mercy killing similar to Daenerys killing Drogo in S1).

The death of all the dragons certainly would not be popular with many fans (remember all the internet/twitter outrage/laments with the death of Viserion in S7) and certainly would be a divisive/disheartening ending for many fans. Personally I think there are going to be a number of divisive issues in the End Game, with this being just one possible one of them.

I'm sure other fans have some different ideas regarding the fate of the dragons in S8. So what do people think? At least it gives us something to do whole we wait for S8 to begin. No one really knows for sure.

I believe the creation of the dragon, the hybrids between firewyrms and wyverns, was one of the things that created the 1st LN. And thereafter the perturbation of the cycle of winters and summer. I believe the dragons will have to disappear completely. So to restore the world as it was. Not one without magic, I hope, but something cleaner, like the Old Gods intended, or as it was before.

BTW, the idea of a magical world, to fade, to become our own, is too much cliché IMO.

On 1/27/2019 at 4:06 PM, DisneyDoc2425 said:

There has been some discussions in the past that the dragon's names might be a clue as to their demise. A resurrected Viserion may ultimately be killed by Drogan (akin to Viserys being killed by Drogo). Rhaegal may be killed by the NK in battle (akin to Rhaegar being killed by King R.B. in the Battle of the Trident). Finally we may see Drogon being killed in some manner by Daenerys. Perhaps Drogon goes rouge/mad (not Daenerys), burns KL, and Daenerys may have to order Jon to shoot him down with a resultant scorpion shot thru the eye (similar to the death of Rhaenys Targaryen's dragon Meraxes during the first Dornish War many years ago). Or perhaps she will have to kill Drogan after he suffers mortal wounds in battle (a mercy killing similar to Daenerys killing Drogo in S1).

Don't think there's any precedent for dragons attacking humans, let alone cities without the instruction of a rider...

17 minutes ago, Ser Uncle P said:

Don't think there's any precedent for dragons attacking humans, let alone cities without the instruction of a rider...

One of Dany's dragons, I believe Drogon,  incinerated a child to death (no rider) when Daenerys was in Mereen. She chained up her other two dragons as a result.  

Archived