Looking North: What did Bran see?

Back door hodor

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 5:11 PM, Back door hodor said:

"Finally he looked north. He saw the Wall shining like a blue crystal, and his bastard brother Jon sleeping alone in a cold bed, his skin growing pale and hard as the memory of all warmth fled from him. And he looked past the Wall, past endless forests cloaked in snow, past the frozen shore and the great blue-white rivers of ice and the dead plains where nothing grew or lived. North and north and north he looked, to the curtain of light at the end of the world, and then beyond that curtain. He looked deep into the heart of winter, and then he cried out, afraid, and the heat of his tears burned on his cheeks."

So what does everyone think? Did Bran see the army of the dead?the Night King? An ice dragon?

Personally I think it could be one of two things. Really I think it most likely is a metaphor, Bran looking to the North symbolizes him looking to the future, accepting his fate and that his road ahead will be very difficult, and different than the life he once imagined. He accepts this and decides to be brave, even though he is afraid, he decides to fly. So to add a little tinfoil to option one, I think the little bit about seeing Jon growing cold and hard could be Bran looking into the ACTUAL future, not a metaphoric one. 

What I hope he saw is some giant Lovecraftian Cuthulu squid monster thing, but probably not unfortunately.

This is the first topic I've made btw, thanks for reading and very interested to hear what others think of this passage.

The obvious impression is that Bran saw the Others or The Other or whatever is directing the Other/wight invasion. Which is why this is not what I think Bran saw.

Equally plausible is that it was something that the Others are fleeing from, resulting in the inevitable conflict that arises when one race moves into land occupied by another. And since there is no solid evidence that the Others are the ones who are reanimating and controlling the wights, this horror could very well be behind that as well.

2 hours ago, John Suburbs said:

The obvious impression is that Bran saw the Others or The Other or whatever is directing the Other/wight invasion. Which is why this is not what I think Bran saw.

Equally plausible is that it was something that the Others are fleeing from, resulting in the inevitable conflict that arises when one race moves into land occupied by another. And since there is no solid evidence that the Others are the ones who are reanimating and controlling the wights, this horror could very well be behind that as well.

2 hours ago, TPTWP Timett said:

I don't think he saw himself. Wouldn't he had thought about that since then?  Then again we never see him thinking about it again so maybe. I believe he saw whatever is driving the others south.

Interesting, so either of you have any more specific thoughts on what this force might be?

The deep ones from the world book?

Squishers?

Aliens?

The Trees?

Maybe a giant squid monster? Haha

41 minutes ago, Back door hodor said:

Interesting, so either of you have any more specific thoughts on what this force might be?

Squishers?

Aliens?

The Trees?

Who knows? Nothing that lives in water or grows on land, since it's all ice up there. It's malevolent, and likely to be ancient.

But it would make sense in a story called A Song of Ice and Fire that ice and fire would unite, not battle to the death. And since the blood lines of ice and fire seem to have merged in the form of a particular character, we seem to have the catalyst for this broader union that would then defeat the true enemy of all living things.

15 hours ago, Back door hodor said:

Yea....but what do YOU THINK he saw, feel free to speculate wildly, no judgement the purpose of this thread is not to argue, I am genuinely interested what others think in this case.

My personal simple easy interpretation --- Bran saw the Great Other.    I have no preconceived ideas what that is.

Whatever the kid dreamed and saw while comatose scared him enough to wake him. That for me is the point.

What Bran saw was enough to wake him from his coma so he could meet the Reed kids and travel to the cave of the CotF and meet up with his three eyed crow who turns out to be a Targ bastard sent to the Wall named Bryden Rivers who became LC of the NW and disappeared while ranging.

According to martin Bran saw the heart of winter.  That which brings a cold so cold it hurts to breath. Shyte, when it gets to 12 degrees where I live,  I shiver and shake and hibernate. I canna imagine -40 nor waking around the arctic circle covered with furs and seal skin.

Bottom line --- whatever Bran saw ain't a night king as depicted on the show.

Why I say that is because of the way martin describes his Others in the opening book prologue.  Plus, I dunna find out until later in the saga that wights/walking dead/zombies are the minions of the Others. That is told to me by a wildling.

I still dunna know whether the cold brings the Others or the Others bring the cold. Winter is coming --- I dunna know what that means as it relates to martins books. I am a fan of the incomplete saga. I am also a critic --- DwD ended with to many loose ends.

Taking into consideration the tales and legends I just dunna know what Bran saw. I mean martin led me on a wild goose chase with the Eddard baby momma drama.  More intelligent people than myself knew right off at the first read about Jon's momma thing.

The only thing I am comfortable saying is --- whatever Bran saw --- it is not the Night King nor is it the Night's King, the 13th LC of the NW.

Take this next part with a grain of salt and humor --- It's not nice to mess with mother nature --- we gotta live with her --- seriously though I doubt martins tale is about global warming ---- its about humanity --- lies, power & control, deceits, lore, ignorance, beliefs, and the seven deadly sins.

:grouphug:

12 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

According to martin Bran saw the heart of winter.  That which brings a cold so cold it hurts to breath.

It must be at or below -26°F/-32°C there then. I experienced that once (that was enough!) and it felt like breathing daggers.

16 hours ago, John Suburbs said:

Who knows? Nothing that lives in water or grows on land, since it's all ice up there. It's malevolent, and likely to be ancient.

But it would make sense in a story called A Song of Ice and Fire that ice and fire would unite, not battle to the death. And since the blood lines of ice and fire seem to have merged in the form of a particular character, we seem to have the catalyst for this broader union that would then defeat the true enemy of all living things.

Interesting, thanks for replying, there are definitely a few pieces of the overall puzzle still missing, and some Malevolent force manipulating the Others and Humans into conflict is definitely something to be considered 

14 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

My personal simple easy interpretation --- Bran saw the Great Other.    I have no preconceived ideas what that is.

Whatever the kid dreamed and saw while comatose scared him enough to wake him. That for me is the point.

What Bran saw was enough to wake him from his coma so he could meet the Reed kids and travel to the cave of the CotF and meet up with his three eyed crow who turns out to be a Targ bastard sent to the Wall named Bryden Rivers who became LC of the NW and disappeared while ranging.

According to martin Bran saw the heart of winter.  That which brings a cold so cold it hurts to breath. Shyte, when it gets to 12 degrees where I live,  I shiver and shake and hibernate. I canna imagine -40 nor waking around the arctic circle covered with furs and seal skin.

Bottom line --- whatever Bran saw ain't a night king as depicted on the show.

Why I say that is because of the way martin describes his Others in the opening book prologue.  Plus, I dunna find out until later in the saga that wights/walking dead/zombies are the minions of the Others. That is told to me by a wildling.

I still dunna know whether the cold brings the Others or the Others bring the cold. Winter is coming --- I dunna know what that means as it relates to martins books. I am a fan of the incomplete saga. I am also a critic --- DwD ended with to many loose ends.

Taking into consideration the tales and legends I just dunna know what Bran saw. I mean martin led me on a wild goose chase with the Eddard baby momma drama.  More intelligent people than myself knew right off at the first read about Jon's momma thing.

The only thing I am comfortable saying is --- whatever Bran saw --- it is not the Night King nor is it the Night's King, the 13th LC of the NW.

Take this next part with a grain of salt and humor --- It's not nice to mess with mother nature --- we gotta live with her --- seriously though I doubt martins tale is about global warming ---- its about humanity --- lies, power & control, deceits, lore, ignorance, beliefs, and the seven deadly sins.

:grouphug:

Haha yea I have read that Martin is a bit of an old hippie at heart. But, like I mentioned earlier, an explanation like this is much more likely and I agree that the important thing is not so much what specifically he saw, but rather the things he does after he sees it. It is a fantasy series though so who knows, but I will say I also think the Night King as depicted in the show will not appear in the books.

Thanks for replying 

21 hours ago, Back door hodor said:

Squishers?

Aliens?

The Trees?

We are given so little info that any idea is just a blind guess. My blind guess is either something crazy running the others south or a vast other civilization/army.

Archived