Dorne and Maesters...post Aegon

Ser Uncle P

Does anyone find it odd that Dornish lords still accepted Maesters from Oldtown after the Citadel recognised Aegon's claim on all 7 Kingdoms? 

Ditto the Faith. I'd imagine that they would have been about as welcome in Dorne as a Jesuit in Cromwellian England or a CIA agent in Iran!!

I assume that people who can read and count are rare and so are healers. Maesters also seems to have monopoly of long range communication that does not include sending someone to carry out message personally. Or maesters are simply very useful to have around.

I assume that dornish could hire people from Essos instead of M, but doing that would cause similar problems unless Dorne found their own university.

Kingdoms outside the Reach still accepted maesters and septons even though they were housed in the Reach so I don't see why anything would change. The Citadel and the Faith are the most prominent and esteemed institutions in Westeros besides the Throne and are the things that link everyone in Westeros together besides the weirdo Northmen and Ironborn.

15 hours ago, Ser Uncle P said:

Does anyone find it odd that Dornish lords still accepted Maesters from Oldtown after the Citadel recognised Aegon's claim on all 7 Kingdoms? 

Ditto the Faith. I'd imagine that they would have been about as welcome in Dorne as a Jesuit in Cromwellian England or a CIA agent in Iran!!

Aegon did rule 8 kingdoms and conquer 7 technically, The North, The Kingdom of Mountain and Vale, The Stormlands, The West and the United  kingdom of Harren the Black(the iron islands and the riverlands). The eighth would be his own kingdom in Blackwater Bay before the conquest and the mainland territories counted as the crown lands after the conquest, though,niether Aegon nor any of his forebears ever sytled themselves as Kings before the conquest, simply the lord's of Dragonstone.

Either way though Aegon ruled 7 kingdoms without dorne, as he himself separated the riverlands from the iron isles, not counting Blackwater Bay and the crownlands.

Dorne doesn't care, The Dragon conquered 7 kingdoms but not the Principality of Dorne. Dorne has known no kings since Nymeria sent the last of them to the wall in golden fetters. They do not care what Aegon sytles himself or what the faith calls him.

"Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken"

I think in the years of strife, i.e. during the First Dornish War and Conquest of Dorne, (periods that never amounted more than a decade), lords may have had to go without a maester if they died, but that probably happened sparingly.

In the times of begrudging peace (Jaehaerys's reign sans Morion, even Maegor's), they might have had to overlook that a little. After all, in the times before the conquest, such issues might have arisen (what about Stormlanders accepting maesters from the Kingdom of the Reach during a war between them, for instance?), which is why I imagine maesters giving up all allegiances but to the castle and Citadel is so important.

Meanwhile, I want to know about the dating system Dorne had before 187. Did their records switch to AC for the sake of keeping in line with what maesters would be trained with at the Citadel? Really, knowing of any dating system during the BC years would be nice. :P

The Martells are an Andal house and they brought all the First Men houses into their fold after they aligned with Nymeria. So while it's unclear if FM houses like the Daynes still worship the old gods, the ruling house worships the seven. So there is no reason for them to give up their religion just because that religion has recognized Aegon as legitimate. 

Italy, Austria, Hungary and Spain did not leave the RCC just because the pope acknowledge Napolean as the emperor.

1 hour ago, John Suburbs said:

The Martells are an Andal house and they brought all the First Men houses into their fold after they aligned with Nymeria. So while it's unclear if FM houses like the Daynes still worship the old gods, the ruling house worships the seven. So there is no reason for them to give up their religion just because that religion has recognized Aegon as legitimate. 

Italy, Austria, Hungary and Spain did not leave the RCC just because the pope acknowledge Napolean as the emperor.

I'm not sure how maesters are related to religion? The Citadel predates the Faith in Westeros as an institution, supposedly being founded by First Men Hightowers, and Winterfell has had a string of maesters since forever, it seems (whereas their septons are a recent phenomenon thanks to Catelyn). I suspect there would be similar issues too - think of Baelor's control over High Septons when Dorne was still independent! - But that the Faith could also be positive for Dorne e.g. supporting their independence a little more in the time of Aegon.

The different, however, is that it seems that new septons/septas may be able to be made at any old sept, whereas maesters would have to study at, and be appointed by the Citadel in Oldtown.

1 hour ago, Vaith said:

I'm not sure how maesters are related to religion? The Citadel predates the Faith in Westeros as an institution, supposedly being founded by First Men Hightowers, and Winterfell has had a string of maesters since forever, it seems (whereas their septons are a recent phenomenon thanks to Catelyn). I suspect there would be similar issues too - think of Baelor's control over High Septons when Dorne was still independent! - But that the Faith could also be positive for Dorne e.g. supporting their independence a little more in the time of Aegon.

The different, however, is that it seems that new septons/septas may be able to be made at any old sept, whereas maesters would have to study at, and be appointed by the Citadel in Oldtown.

I wasn't referring to the maesters, only the faith. As far as I can tell, the faith took no position in the Dornish wars. Aegon never sought their blessing, and no material or spiritual support is reported from the faith. This was probably a familiar stance for the church given that before Aegon they had any number of Andal houses waging war on one another.

I can imagine that septons/septas can be trained in many different locations, although probably not in any old sept, but the ones that take up residence with the great houses would most certainly be pretty high up in the hierarchy -- and they would most likely have come from nobility themselves and been trained at the leading institutions; think, the Starry Sept or the Great Sept.

As for the maesters, they are sworn to serve the seat to which they are assigned regardless of who holds it. So Luwin was obligated to serve Theon when he took Winterfell -- although there is a big difference between serving and serving loyally.

Archived