Redwynes During/After Dance

Something that confuses me is what the Redwynes were doing during and after the Dance and what their naval strength was at the time.

They don't seem to take part in the Dance, which is quite logical, but it's mentioned as the war is coming to the close that the Redwynes are close to the Hightowers and could still make trouble. If they were close to the Hightowers then why are they not considered as an option to help break the Velaryon naval stranglehold on King's Landing?

Also, why do they not send their fleet to battle the Ironborn after the Dance until the Velaryon fleet comes around? If they had the ~200 ships that Paxter Redwyne has at the time of the main series then they should have the strength to battle the Ironborn. Perhaps, though, the Redwyne fleet is just not that big at the time since they only send 30 ships with the Velaryons.

This is pretty obvious.

The Redwynes during the Dance were smart - just as the Tyrells were. They were close kin to the Hightowers, yes, but apparently they didn't give a rat's ass about their power play in KL and didn't care to risk their wealth, fleet, and lives in a battle against the dragons - or later the Ironborn. And why should they?

The reason why they are as powerful as they are in the main series is likely due to the fact that didn't get themselves into a situation where their fleet was at risk.

It is a misconception to believe that kinship always transfers into (die-hard) loyalty or a strong interest to help the advancement of your relatives.

1 hour ago, Paxter Redwyne said:

I don't see any problem with my house doing nothing.

In that case why did they declare for Aegon II during the Dance? Why did Gyldayn mention them when discussing Lord Lyonel's ability to renew the war during the Hour of the Wolf?

I think it's likely that the Redwyne's fleet wasn't nearly as large during the Dance as it is during Robert's rebellion/War of the 5 kings.  Power ebbs and flows with generations.  Otherwise, you would have expected that the Velaryon's would have rebuilt their fleet by now (or the Graftons/Vale and the North for that matter).  

It likely takes several factors to build up and maintain a fleet for that long - peace, prosperity, power, and good weather (an unlucky storm could wipe out a good portion of a fleet).  

1 hour ago, Lord of Brewtown said:

I think it's likely that the Redwyne's fleet wasn't nearly as large during the Dance as it is during Robert's rebellion/War of the 5 kings.  Power ebbs and flows with generations.  Otherwise, you would have expected that the Velaryon's would have rebuilt their fleet by now (or the Graftons/Vale and the North for that matter).  

It likely takes several factors to build up and maintain a fleet for that long - peace, prosperity, power, and good weather (an unlucky storm could wipe out a good portion of a fleet).  

True, but Arbor wine is a world famous brand and you figure it would be a more consistent business than almost anything. Of course, that doesn't necessarily translate into a large warfleet.

Archived