Who were the Tyrells involved in the Purple Wedding?

Peach King

Everyone from the Wall to Dorne knew Joffrey was a sadistic, evil bastard. The Tyrell's knew what they were doing and likely had planned it all along. They'd poison the king before he has kids, Tommen would become the new king and would be much easier to manipulate. At the very least, Margaery and Olenna had to know. I suspect the conversation with Sansa confirmed any little doubt they may have had that they had to get rid of Joffrey. Had Sansa suggested anything other than a monster who would hurt his own Queen, then we'd have a very different story.

I think Olena was the only Tryll in on whatever poisoning plot may or may not been affected at Joffreys wedding. She may or may not have been working with others(Little Finger and Tywin are popular choices) and the target may or may not have been Joffreys(Tryion is a another popular  candidate.)

But I think you may already know all this, because you mentioned the pie.

In my opinion you started the wrong topic if you didn't want to discuss conspiracies involving pie and/or wine and/or lemon cream(on top of the pie).

But that's just my two cents 

3 hours ago, Back door hodor said:

I think Olena was the only Tryll in on whatever poisoning plot may or may not been affected at Joffreys wedding. She may or may not have been working with others(Little Finger and Tywin are popular choices) and the target may or may not have been Joffreys(Tryion is a another popular  candidate.)

But I think you may already know all this, because you mentioned the pie.

In my opinion you started the wrong topic if you didn't want to discuss conspiracies involving pie and/or wine and/or lemon cream(on top of the pie).

But that's just my two cents 

Why do people think its the pie? The pie was meant for Tyrion. 

10 minutes ago, Peach King said:

Why do people think its the pie? The pie was meant for Tyrion. 

There are some very dedicated people who have pushed the pie theory for a long time, who indeed think the poison was meant for Tyrion.  The concept is that LF wanted Tyrion out of the way so he could have Sansa.  Unfortunately as they have pushed this theory very hard for a very long time, they have apparently converted a number of people.

The theory falls apart quickly though, Joffrey slices his own piece of cake, meaning no one could have actually planted poison in just his piece, and as the bead would not have dissolved in the pie, Margery could not risk simply slipping it in like she could the wine.  Add to that the fact that LF goes out of his way to frame Tyrion by adding the jousting dwarves and you see it would be a waste to kill Tyrion when framing him for the murder works even better.

It also goes against GRRM's own words on the matter.  GRRM once said it was called the purple wedding because the wine was purple and it played a very important role, since we can see right in the text that the wine changed colors from red to purple, the color of the strangler bead, it is all pretty self explanatory.

GRRM has also said that the Tyrells wanted people to think Joffrey choked, meaning waiting till he was eating pie makes sense, and that LF intended to frame Tyrion and Sansa.  

Yeah agreed, it makes no sense. We already saw that the strangler dissolves in wine. How exactly would Joffrey not notice a giant shard in the middle of his slice of pie? And how exactly would Marg/Olenna/Garlan/anyone else put it in there? By shoving it in? That's awkward. 

Oh, I definitely believe Olenna was in on it from the get-go... Mostly because of how she questioned Sansa before the wedding and then fiddling with Sansa's headpiece right before the feast. Of course, she didn't work alone in this but as to other members of her family, no... I think that Margery may have had an idea something was going to happen but I don't think she had anything to do with it all. Now, as to LF, yes, I believe he had something to do with it... and that Tyrion and Sansa would take the fall... Mostly to get tyrion killed and then have Sansa all for himself. Now, I'd be surprised if Tywin was involved as well, given how much he groused that Joffrey wasn't going to listen to counsel and that his brother would be more tractable.

3 hours ago, Peach King said:

Yeah agreed, it makes no sense. We already saw that the strangler dissolves in wine. How exactly would Joffrey not notice a giant shard in the middle of his slice of pie? And how exactly would Marg/Olenna/Garlan/anyone else put it in there? By shoving it in? That's awkward. 

It's not a giant shard, it's a small crystal. Lots of crystals dissolve in both wine and warm pie filling (salt, sugar . . .) So a crystal that dissolves in wine in a matter of seconds will most certainly start to soften and leech out in warm, moist pie filling, and this would also cause the pie to become "a bit dry, though. Needs washing down."

Lady Olenna could easily do the pie herself with no other involvement. She is in the immediate area when the big pie is wheeled out, and Tyrion's pie is served within seconds after the ceremony concludes. Therefore, the cut and plated pie was also in the immediate area -- most likely behind the head table, out of site from the guests -- and all Lady O needs to do is make sure the one servant holding the pie (if, indeed, it's even in a servant's hands) is looking up at the pigeons when she tucks the crystal into the slice. Easy as, well, pie. Far simpler than reaching to the lip of a chalice that is three feet in air and at least in arm's reach into the table with more than a thousand pairs of eyes looking in your direction. :)

12 hours ago, Peach King said:

What makes you think Mace was involved? He seemed to be seriously angry at Tyrion. 

Because he is the patriarch of the family, it makes sense that he's involved.

And he would be angry at anyone that was accused of the murder; the Tyrells needed a scapegoat.

25 minutes ago, John Suburbs said:

Tyrion is the real threat to Lady Olenna's Game of Thrones. Joffrey was her primary asset; he was literally going to bring the Iron Throne under the control of House Lannister.

And why would Olenna plot to kill joffrey with LF who is a known lannister supporter? It sounds super risky and stupid for an old fox like olenna.

On the other hand it makes sense that both of them would want tyrion dead. LF because tyrion was invistigation his actions as master of coin and he played LF some times when he was hand of the king. And olenna wanted sansa to marry a tyrel to get the north… It is an aliance that makes sense.

1 hour ago, Marcelowww said:

Because he is the patriarch of the family, it makes sense that he's involved.

And he would be angry at anyone that was accused of the murder; the Tyrells needed a scapegoat.

True. 

But I think Mace is too much of a bumbling idiot to fake things to such a level.

Olena was the only Tyrell involved.  All she needed to do is tell Marjory not to drink anymore wine and Marjory would have listened. The less people involved, the more believable everyone's reaction would have been, and thus less suspicion. 

Olena believes Mace is an idiot, so he wouldn't be involved, and there is no reason to get Garland or Loras involved either. 

The hairnet is also not involved, just a way for LF to later scare Sansa into thinking she was part of the plot.  Maybe it was a signal of sorts from LF to Olena that the plan was a go.

31 minutes ago, Peach King said:

True. 

But I think Mace is too much of a bumbling idiot to fake things to such a level.

I dont really believe he's such an idiot everyone says he is. But anyway, we dont have a POV from the Tyrells' side, so we cant really know that characters very well.

5 hours ago, Chris Mormont said:

The hairnet is also not involved, just a way for LF to later scare Sansa into thinking she was part of the plot.  Maybe it was a signal of sorts from LF to Olena that the plan was a go.

The poison was in the hairnet.  This is confirmed by the Ghost of High Heart.

Archived