DMC

US Politics: Out in the Cold

And now he's saying it wasn't him in the photo?

That makes me wonder if it was just some black face / KKK party where tons of people were doing it which is not exactly a great exoneration.  Maybe he wasn't technically in that particular photo but was also doing the same deal at the same event?  Baffling coming off of yesterday's admission of guilt.

5 hours ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

(Seriously. Robert Byrd, Ted Kennedy, pretty much every twentieth century Democratic President apart from Carter, would have never survived this sort of scrutiny). 

Ya know, maybe that's okay. Or maybe one can acknowledge the mistakes of the past and work to make them better, as Byrd tried to do. 

But I think we can move past the kind of obfuscation that Clinton and Kennedy did, and end some careers early based on mistakes, and be okay with that. There are enough good people out there that we don't have to accept casual horrible racism any more. 

Oh, someone else online pointed out that Northam beat Tom Pereillo in that tough primary and ran knowing that this stuff was out there.  Imagine if this had broken after he'd beat Perillo but before the general election.  

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 4:53 AM, Seli said:

Even translated to factual positions "fiscal conservatives/social liberals" isn't where the hole is in US politics, that is where the libertarians exist.

GOP is currently "fiscal conservative"* and socially reactionary; Democrats fiscal moderates and social moderates (sweeping up a lot of the more progressive voters because those don't have anywhere else to go to); libertarians cover "fiscal conservatism"* and a very selective section of social liberty;

The potential seems to be in community-oriented fiscal moderates/social conservatives, which is where the GOP has been haemorrhaging for example immigrant votes in recent elections. Basically the US, most Anglo societies, could do with a CDU.

*fiscal conservative only the in the US political debate sense

The hole is people who support social programs and liberties to varying degrees, but think they need to be approached in a responsible way fiscally. I.E., not aligned with Trump's social views, and also not aligned with D's fiscal views, or rather, lack thereof. That there's not a clear term for this makes it confusing to discuss and even get on the same page. Just noticed how confusing this is this past few weeks. 

The GOP gave up any claim to fiscal conservativism a long time ago (Graham just suggested a raise to the debt ceiling, right on cue) and tax cuts wouldn't just be aimed at corporations, they'd also be geared to small and mid-sized business. They really don't care any more except as an excuse to get in the way of  the Ds. I'd call moderate Dems fiscal moderates, but not Ds in general. None of them are talking deficit or discussing the practicalities of how they'll actually pay for the long list of things they're proposing. They're definitely not discussing the underlying problem of why healthcare and college is so expensive. 

The bolded is over my head. :blush: