Football: Bayern Seek the CHOsen One

Philokles

7 hours ago, lmanion said:

Yeah I picked them as one to go down at the start of the season like most people, what I was getting at was Wagner leaving was basically resignation from him and the club that they had to start preparing for life in the championship. They got away with not scoring last year because a few clubs that had been there for a while severely underperformed.

That's one way of looking at it. Personally, I think Wagner staying or leaving would have changed very little, with regards to the results - the season was a write off anyway. So I can see why he wanted to give his successor some time to get to know the club and players, so the club can go into next season with an idea of what they need in terms of players.  While the reserve teams are part of regular club competitions, the focus is still bit different. So Siewert gets some transition of how it feels like to be responsible for a first team.

The big stain on Wagner's time at Huddersfield will not be his resignation, but the rather mindboggline idea, that Rebbe would make a decent DoF or Sporting Director (or whatever his official desgination was there). As his time of Wolfsburg really gave no sign that he was actually competent at that position. I really wouldn't want him to be charge in of any club that I even remotely feel some sympathy for. Having that said, maybe Rangers want to take try? :D

The Milan/Roma game had some of the worst officiating I’ve ever seen. Milan should have had a pen (what’s the point of VAR if they don’t even look at it) and Roma should have had two men sent off. 

But the draw was probably a fair result. Donnarumma had to make some insane saves to keep it level. He is playing the best football since he broke out at 16 or however young he was. Crazy to think he is still only just 19.

19 hours ago, polishgenius said:

We all seen what Tyrone Mings did to Nelson Olivieira's face yesterday?

Claims it was an accident. Like fuck, especially when you look at the incident with Zlatan.

The geniuses at the FA have confirmed that Mings will not face any further sanction.

No more trips to Dubai.  We lost our momentum last year too after the sunshine break for the team.

I hate to knee-jerk but our form in January and now into February makes a title look unlikely.  Our attacking threat has declined badly and the injuries in defense are costing us more goals than before.

Perhaps we can recapture that relentless play and easy control of games but we're looking a bit lost in the last few games.  We're not terrible atm but even a slight drop in quality is costing points right now.  

This weekend was meant to be a mid-winter festival of sports viewing.  But then Ireland got beaten (literally and figuratively) by England in rugby, the Superbowl was a dull, turgid waste of four hours, and now Liverpool delivered another limp display to lose ground in the title race.

The gods of sports owe me some entertainment and positive feelings!

Really enjoyed that game as a neutral. Livepool were disappointing but could easily have won it at the end if Origi had any compusure whatsoever. Declan Rice was majestic in midfield again - hopefully he gets called up by Southgate for the qualifiers next month to cap tie him away from Ireland.

I don’t get the Keita hate. He had a decent enough game in my view, after Mane he was the Liverpool player offering most going forward, and could have had an assist when he set Origi up beautifully. He’s not quite at the explosive levels of the 2016-17 season, which I can understand disappointment at, but he has shown it in bursts these past two games and is tidy in possession when not.

Not sure how the lino missed the offside on the Liverpool goal. It looked pretty obvious from where we were sitting on the halfway line and it was right in front of him.

49 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

No idea what you guys are talking about.

Alex Meier, FOOTBALLGOD!

What a great player. Shame he never got any caps when he was so good a couple of seasons back. Certainly no worse than Wagner, Petersen, Hahn who’ve had shots in recent years.

Hope either you or Union get promoted. The Bundesliga could do with some fresh blood.

Dropped points in two straight games where we had midfielders who would’ve been better served in the midfield playing right back but Klopp doesn’t regret loaning out Clyne :rolleyes:

Firmino and Salah were both awful though. Says a lot that a Naby Keita who turned it over every other time he had the ball was our best attacking threat. 

Was kind of worrying how lackadaisical the team was. Didn’t really feel like they were in a title fight idk. No urgency really. 

Meanwhile Dortmund - Bremen is really tough battle. Didn't expect Bremen to hold themselves against Dortmund as well as they do.

Score 2:2 112th minute. Ok 3-2 now. :bawl:

And Bremen players complaining about a handball in the built up of the goal. I think it was the right call not to call it. But Old man Pizarro with a goal.

Edit: 3:3 now. Goalkeeping error after a corner.

Edit 2: Penalty Shoot out. Pavlenka saved the first two (pathetic one from Alcacer, and guessed the right corner on the second one, which Philipp just tried to blast in). Bremen's penalties were taken very well and confidently.

So Dortmund is out, and Bremen is in the quarter-final of the German Cup.

For a moment, I found myself comparing Nelson Semedo and Ashley Young. It was a quick moment. But it hurts.

Half time in the 1st leg of this Copa del Rey clasico. Real are superbly playing on the counter, which gave them an early advantage at the Nou Camp. Benzema, Vazquez, Modric, Kroos are class. Vinicus is gonna be a tremendous player but so far he's shown himself very disappointing, if not frustrating, in the last gesture.  

Quite the same thing can be actually said about Malcolm, in the other side. Also, I seriously doubt that Coutinho's form can drop as deep as that, so I'd rather say he's badly used by Valverde.

Bring la Pulga on !

Archived