Football: Bayern Seek the CHOsen One

Philokles

Good win today for Liverpool, and they looked a lot more fluid on the ball.  They constantly tried to ping quick passes and interchanges, even though Bournemouth were working hard and congesting the space — sitting deep and narrow — to interrupt the build-up.  Even though Bournemouth used the same gameplan as recent opponents, Liverpool did a better job of varying the angle of attack and maintaining pressure with a high press.  It was also noticeable that the MF was much better.  The balance was good there, with Fabinho as the anchor both solid and sharp with passing forward, while Gini and Keita carried the ball forward and pressed high.  Keita had quite a good game and will hopefully build on that.  Bournemouth abandoned the wings in order to congest the center, but then conceded the first two goals to assists from our FBs.  Liverpool don’t exploit that space quite as ruthlessly as Sane for City, but we generally are willing to work from out to in to use the space.  The score could have easily been 6-0 but Boruc did well and Bournemouth made some crucial late blocks and tackles at times.

Nice to see TAA back on as a late sub, and he looked pretty good for his 15 minutes.  With Gomez, Lovren and Shaqiri injured, Henderson and TAA only ready for the bench, and several players just over an illness (Gini just back from injury and illness), the squad was a bit thin today.  Hopefully the ten day gap to the Bayern game gets one or two more players back and ready to play.  VVD is suspended against Bayern.  Matip was good today and I hope he can maintain that form.

Very tough day for Bournemouth.  They looked exhausted at the end and were fortunate the score was not even worse.  They didn’t do a lot wrong but they couldn’t get any toehold in the game.  A long afternoon of chasing the ball. 

I noticed yesterday that Milner was the only English player who started for Liverpool, albeit TAA and Sturridge came on as subs. 

Only last season we had Milner, Lallana, Henderson, TAA, Solanke, Gomez, Clyne, Ox and Sturridge in the England squad.  We seemed to have no problem meeting the quota for homegrown players.  Now Clyne and Solanke are gone.  Sturridge is out of contract in the summer.  Lallana and Milner end their contracts in 2020 and could very well be moved on this summer, especially Lallana.  

So even if Ox and Gomez can return at the top level from their long term injuries, and we keep Henderson for MF rotation (he got a contract extension), we’ll have just four homegrown players in the squad.

Hopefully we can promote a youth player like Harry Wilson, Rhian Brewster (another with a very long term injury), Curtis Jones or Adam Lewis into the squad.  I don’t think Rafa Camacho will qualify, even if he does make it.  But I would not be surprised if we look to buy some homegrown talent this summer.

Just now, Iskaral Pust said:

I noticed yesterday that Milner was the only English player who started for Liverpool, albeit TAA and Sturridge came on as subs. 

Only last season we had Milner, Lallana, Henderson, TAA, Solanke, Gomez, Clyne, Ox and Sturridge in the England squad.  We seemed to have no problem meeting the quota for homegrown players.  Now Clyne and Solanke are gone.  Sturridge is out of contract in the summer.  Lallana and Milner end their contracts in 2020 and could very well be moved on this summer, especially Lallana.  

So even if Ox and Gomez can return at the top level from their long term injuries, and we keep Henderson for MF rotation (he got a contract extension), we’ll have just four homegrown players in the squad. 

Hopefully we can promote a youth player like Harry Wilson, Rhian Brewster (another with a very long term injury), Curtis Jones or Adam Lewis into the squad.  I don’t think Rafa Camacho will qualify, even if he does make it.  But I would not be surprised if we look to buy some homegrown talent this summer.

Not sure, but isn't the homegrown rule abit more generous, as in Robertson would fall under it (as a Brit), too?

15 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Not sure, but isn't the homegrown rule abit more generous, as in Robertson would fall under it (as a Brit), too?

No, he didn’t move to English football until he was 20. 

I’m not sure what the rules are with the likes of Hoever and Camacho though who don’t currently have 3 years in English football under 21 but probably will by the time they’re 21.

Archived