Football: Bayern Seek the CHOsen One

Philokles

Quality performance in midfield from Veratti and Marquinhos kept PSG in control even when their attack looked a little light. It shouldn’t be too surprising that an jntelligent ball-playing CB under a manager like Tuchel could make the transition, but Marquinhos looked like he had been playing there all his life.

19 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

That wasn't a good performance at all, obviously. Just couldn't get any passing going and they beat the pressure too easily especially in the second half.

Ref needs to give his head a shake though. PSG getting the Liverpool treatment where you're not allowed to tackle them but they're allowed to boot you is the only reason I can imagine sending off Pogba while Kimpembe stayed on.

The ref was total wank but we played poorly and deserved to lose as well. PSG are currently just much better than we are - thankfully Neymar and Cavani were injured otherwise this could have been five or six. The injuries to Martial and Lingard really hurt us - while on paper our attacking depth looks good, in reality it's a very different story. Mata moves in slow motion, can't press and is allergic to forward passes, Lukaku is having a stinker of a season and Sanchez (considering his wages) has to be among the worst transfers in the club's history. 

I swear Sanchez gives the ball away like 90% of the time. He's dreadful.

And yah, Mata just isn't right and especially so for a team trying to press. Which is bad coz he's a pretty likely replacement for Pogba in the second leg, though I hope he goes with Fred and has him and Herrera taking turns pushing forward.

Or possibly both in a diamond with Mata just behind Lukaku and Rashford if we assume Lingard and Martial are both injured- that costs us width but mitigates Mata's lack of activity and gives us at least some passing craft in there. But realistically Sanchez will play.

Marco Verratti is a better passer, quicker, more mobile and can tackle more effectively than Jorginho, yet Tuchel still manages to put a defensive minded player like Marquinhos in beside him, to give him some support. Surely, if Sarri played the best defensive midfielder in the league, N'golo Kante, further back, closer to Joginho, it might actually help Jorginho and strengthen Chelsea in the midfield area. But 'Sarriball'...

It's unfortunate that Sarri is so stubborn. I think a 4-2-3-1 would suit Chelsea much better. A double pivot of Jorginho-Kante in the midfield, Hazard at #10 and two of Hudson-Odoi/Pedro/Willian for the flanks. Even Kovacic is much better in a deeper position. People seem to have the wrong impression of the type of player he is due to the "heir to Modric" tag - he has the workrate but not the creative ability. If anything he's much more a Moussa Dembele type player than Modric. 

12 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

It's unfortunate that Sarri is so stubborn. I think a 4-2-3-1 would suit Chelsea much better. A double pivot of Jorginho-Kante in the midfield, Hazard at #10 and two of Hudson-Odoi/Pedro/Willian for the flanks. Even Kovacic is much better in a deeper position. People seem to have the wrong impression of the type of player he is due to the "heir to Modric" tag - he has the workrate but not the creative ability. If anything he's much more a Moussa Dembele type player than Modric. 

I would like Sarri to try 4-2-3-1, but my only concern would be how to set up the advanced 3 in midfield. I don't think we have a true #10. Hazard could play there, but I feel he is best suited to wide areas where he can drift in, as I think if his starting position was in the middle, he'd end up actually drifting into wide positions. As we have no left footed attacking midfielder / winger, whoever was playing on the left wing would naturally drift into the middle, which would mean it could end up a little cramped in there. 

A left of field idea would be to put Jorginho in that #10 role, as a false attacking midfielder, almost. It would limit his defensive responsibilities while also offering more defensive cover in the midfield than if we were to play three true attacking midfielders. Fabregas played in this role for Mourinho on occassion during the 14/15 season. In this case, Kovacic would play alongside Kante in the double pivot. Having watched Kovacic this season, the comparison to Mousa Dembele is a good one. Kovacic has great natural talent -  strong passer, very neat and tidy on the ball, with good close control and dribbling - yet offers little in terms of assists or goals.

15 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Could Loftus-Cheek play that role? 

Yeah, he would probably be the best option out of our attacking midfielders, as he is the one least suited to playing in a wide position. I think he offers more going forwards in terms of running at players and scoring goals than Barkley does, too.

13 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I swear Sanchez gives the ball away like 90% of the time. He's dreadful.

Sanchez always gave the ball away a lot, or that was my impression. It's part of his play - he tries difficult things, takes players on, etc. The difference is, those things aren't coming off any more. 

I think we should use Sanchez as a CF rather than on the LW. He actually looked better the few times we've played him there - while he doesn't have the movement of Rashford, his first touch and hold up play is much better than Lukaku's. His worst tendencies also seem to be mitigated when playing up front rather than on the LW i.e. dropping way too deep and clogging up Pogba's space, holding onto the ball too long and playing useless chipped balls to no-one. Lukaku should be used on the right ahead of Mata. 

Depends on who the other attacking options are. A midfield diamond with Lingard at CAM and Sanchez+Lukaku upfront worked well against Arsenal because Lingard plays like a secondary striker and took up more advanced positions centrally when Sanchez dropped deep while Lukaku stayed up front but held a slightly wider position. Playing Sanchez up front paired with Mata at either CAM or RW would be a bad idea as they both would drop too deep and leave the third forward isolated. 

I don’t think Sancho has been at his best really. He’s had a few heavy touches, made the wrong decisions or put a poor weight on the pass. If he overcomes the nerves then Spurs will be in real trouble given how involved he’s been. I’d be looking to put Gurreiro on if I were Favre. Surprised he didn’t start given his form. 

Archived