Football: Bayern Seek the CHOsen One

Philokles

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Uff, sounds like you are suggesting KdB was not ready for first team football when he left, or Lukaku for that matter. No, I am not bringing up Salah, as he really needed a few more years at Roma to develop.

No, I’m meaning young players as in academy players, not players like KdB, Salah and Lukaku, none of whom came through the youth system at Chelsea.

13 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Zlatan is just a poor man's Cantona. Is Piatek really that similar? He seems like more of an out-and-out striker to me (I know Zlatan turned into that more when he went to PSG but for most of his career he was more 10-ish). But I've not watched him much...

I didn’t watch much pre PSG Zlatan but I’ve been surprised by how good Piateks contribution in the build up can be. Much more involved than Higuain was. His work rate is immense as well, constantly harassing the backline. 

Milan definitely won the January window. Paqueta and Piatek have made an incredible difference in such a short time. Bakayoko and Donnarumma had kept them in the top four fight up to January but now I’d be pretty surprised if they missed out on that fourth spot. 

16 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Looks like both Liverpool and Bayern have some central defensive issues going into the game tomorrow. Boateng has been ruled out for Bayern and Paul Joyce reporting that Fabinho is set to partner Matip.

Well Bayern still have their first choice pairing. We are down to our fourth choice CB and a central midfielder :eek:

His minister of communication has refuted those rumours as "completely false". Said talks took place over sponsorship opportunities but no agreement reached. However there has been smoke for a few months now. 

And yeah, the definition/criteria of "fit and proper" is very loose to say the least. If those murdering fucks from the UAE were deemed fit and proper then Bin Salman would as well - will probably just need to grease a few palms. 

2 hours ago, Consigliere said:

And yeah, the definition/criteria of "fit and proper" is very loose to say the least. If those murdering fucks from the UAE were deemed fit and proper then Bin Salman would as well - will probably just need to grease a few palms. 

Hadn't the fit and proper person definiton become void of any meaning when Abramovich stepped in? There's also the story of Ranger's Whyte, but then again, he a fit and proper fit for that fit and proper club.

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Hadn't the fit and proper person definiton become void of any meaning when Abramovich stepped in? There's also the story of Ranger's Whyte, but then again, he a fit and proper fit for that fit and proper club.

If I'm not mistaken, the fit and proper persons thing came into effect circa 2004. So post Abramovich. 

And now Rashford for Pogba. This duo is gold.

Tough on Chelsea to be led 0-2 by half-time. They've provided most of the chances but we've been more clinical so far. If Sarri doesn't turn things around somewhat, I can see him gone (which would be a debatable decision from the Chelsea board but I can see that happening)

ETA: sorry for bringing this up again, but Sarri just has to fuck off. Giroud & Hudson-Odoi haven't been used, instead he subbed Barkley, Willian & Zappacosta in. If dude's aim was to annoy the Chelsea fanbase, he couldn't have done better.

1 hour ago, Ser Glendon Fireball said:

ETA: sorry for bringing this up again, but Sarri just has to fuck off.

No, no, no. Sarri has to stay until the end of the season. ;)

Giroud & Hudson-Odoi haven't been used, instead he subbed Barkley, Willian & Zappacosta in. If dude's aim was to annoy the Chelsea fanbase, he couldn't have done better.

Giroud was never going to come on. It's clear that Sarri doesn't trust him and Sarri is way too stubborn to bring him on and change tactics. Hudson-Odoi already has one foot at Bayern imo and why not? He'll be given more game time and at a bigger club. 

His use of Kante further forward continues to baffle. Kante should have been deeper doing a man-marking job on Pogba especially since it's been obvious to all and sundry since 2016 how heavily reliant we are on Pogba to create and transition play - if he gets marked out of a game, our midfield becomes downright pedestrian and our attacking play is severely affected. 

Didn't see much between Chelsea and United today but disappointing as is the norm now for the blues. Bournemouth, City and now United have blanked us in recent weeks. Beating a dead horse with Odoi, but god damn how can he not get on the field in an FA Cup match. Don't blame him for wanting to leave. The flanks at Bayern are more likely to leave than the ones at Chelsea. I'm pretty sure both Robben and Ribery have been announced to be done with Bayern at the end of the season. Hazard is most likely gone to Real and Willian will pout and go somewhere or stay at Chelsea and pout some more, and Pedro should be coming off the bench at this stage of his career or starting in League Cup matches, etc. 

I also don't know why Kante can't get a couple games in his old role to see if that sparks a change.  I suppose Sarri is too stubborn to change, as Consigliere said. 

The highlight of the game for me had to be when, at 80 odd minutes into the game, with Chelsea chasing a goal, Sarri decides to bring off right back Cesar Azpilicueta and replace him with... another right back in Davide Zappacosta! 

Was very impressed with Man United. They won most of the balls in the midfield and defended really well. What a player Paul Pogba is. Lindelof and Herrera put in great performances, too. In general, it was just a top quality away performance from Man United.

Bit of a stalemate in the second half.

I'm sure Bayern will be pleased with that, Liverpool tend to be a lot stronger at Anfield in Europe, but it's not the end of the world for Liverpool either having kept a clean sheet and with Van Dijk to come back.

Archived