Football: Bayern Seek the CHOsen One

Philokles

3 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

If I were Sarri, I'd be dropping Kepa from the squad for the rest of my time at the club. What a dickhead.

Would love to have the pfa opinion on embarrassing your manager like that. They normally support the players no matter what. 

So as well as being injured and told to leave the field, Kepa stayed in despite Caballero having one of the best penalty save % around and presumably faced a lot of pens in traning from the City squad when he was their backup keeper.

48 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

If I were Sarri, I'd be dropping Kepa from the squad for the rest of my time at the club. What a dickhead.

He should but at Chelsea the players are the ones with all the power. Given the world record fee paid for Kepa, at best Sarri could get away with dropping him for 1 or 2 games. 

It's already happened time and again at Chelsea. The players get tired of a manager, act up, down tools, manager gets sacked. Rinse and repeat. At this point, prospective managers might just start seeing Chelsea as an avenue for a big payout after 1 or 2 seasons. 

ETA. what Chelsea need is a clear out but the transfer ban will put a peg in that. 

The people running Chelsea shoulder majority of the blame as well. It seems to me like they don't respect their managers, don't place enough trust in them and just see them as expendable. That attitude filters down to the playing staff who now think they can do whatever they feel like and get away with it. Look at how the board treated Conte. He delivered a league title and FA Cup in his 2 seasons. He deserved backing and any player not behind him should have been shipped off....but instead Conte was expendable while Willian who was behaving like a little shit is still at the club. 

I didn’t even watch the Liverpool game today.  I had low expectations.  Our attack has stuttered badly since the start of January.  And, TBH, only in December — our of the whole season so far — have we looked fluid and potent going forward.  

So we’re still deservedly top of the table for now, ahead of the greatest team in PL history, but we won’t stay there unless our attacking play suddenly reignites. 

Two tough games next against in-form Watford and it’s-their-cup-final Everton. 

The Liverpool attack is missing the link from midfield we had last season in coutinho then ox. The front 3 obviously havent quite hit the level they did last year but there was always a dangerous 4th to break the lines, pick a pass, link up or hit a long range shot and we have perhaps sacrificed that for being more solid in defense.

I think we dont have anyone that is really pushing salah or mane for their place and we dont have a real backup for bobby. Hopefully he stays fit and the other 2 find their feet very quickly because we realistically need to almost win every game the way city are playing atm. Im sure a lot of Liverpool fans would have bitten your arm off in August if you said after 27 games we would be above city by a point and have only lost one game.

18 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

It's not Sturridge that's the problem, we've played badly like this a lot this season.

I don’t disagree. I love Sturridge just think he might be done at the top level :dunno:. The drop off from Firmino to Sturridge and Origi is massive. 

11 hours ago, lmanion said:

The Liverpool attack is missing the link from midfield we had last season in coutinho then ox. The front 3 obviously havent quite hit the level they did last year but there was always a dangerous 4th to break the lines, pick a pass, link up or hit a long range shot and we have perhaps sacrificed that for being more solid in defense.

For sure which is why I was hoping Naby would’ve started yesterday. He had been playing much better lately imo. Would be nice if Ox is actually back in time to make a difference in the run in. 

I’m not sure what other job Rodgers could hope for.  None of the top six would have him.  I doubt any European teams would go for him.  Outside of them, Leicester is one of the most stable 7th-10th clubs who actually need a new manager.  He could have waited longer at Celtic for another spot to open, but I doubt Everton would ever give him a job.  Southampton would be a good fit stylistically, but they would each be wary of the risk of relegation.

Leicester's last two permanent managers were in the job for eight and four months respectively. Before that, they fired the man who won them the league. They've had six managers in the last nine seasons and have fired six of their last ten managers in under a year. 'Stable'?

As for what other jobs Rodgers could have got, he's been linked with bigger jobs than this, including Arsenal last year. I don't subscribe to the view that European clubs wouldn't be interested, either. 

Archived