Football: Bayern Seek the CHOsen One

Philokles

I wasn’t expecting that result.  After struggling in attack for several weeks, our defenders rocked up with four assists and two goals tonight.  And that’s a team missing Firmino, including Origi, and with Milner and Gini as the attacking MFs.  TAA’s crossing was very good tonight — it looked like he’d put in some extra practice.  We’ve been crowded out centrally in recent games and so responded with four goals from wide crosses   

Watford have been in very good form and difficult to beat.

Hopefully we can regain some momentum now. 

Watford are, and have been for some time now whoever the manager is, basically a mini-Spurs- tough to beat, well rounded, capable of going on runs that threaten to put them well up the table, but every so often they mentally crumble and just go fucking kablooey.

This season has been a massive improvement in terms of the number of meltdown performances they've had to be fair mind. It also maybe looks like Liverpool and for some reason Bournemouth have their number, because you two are the only two teams to have scored more than two goals against them.

TAA is so many times better at putting the ball in the box than what milner is. If we had that sort of play against united I think we would have scored. Also Van Dijk just makes the guys around him better players, Matip was never as solid next to Lovren last year. I think Origi needs to get more game time because he could be an extra backup to the front guys, hes had a tough few years but is still young enough to improve into a player that is a viable backup option to the front 3.

7 hours ago, lmanion said:

TAA is so many times better at putting the ball in the box than what milner is. If we had that sort of play against united I think we would have scored. 

TAA may have been “rested” against United because they successfully targeted him defensively in the past.  But I agree that Milner was an ineffective replacement in that position.

After the United game ThisIsAnfield published some stats on Liverpool’s points per game with and without TAA, and Salah’s goals with and without TAA.  The gap was much larger than I would have guessed, but the sample size may not be very large and there are other factors, e.g. since we don’t have a true RB back-up, we’re playing a compromise formation without him.

With regards to TAA? Wasn't he coming off an injury, So I find it sensible from Klopp not to run him into the ground and giving him a rest. If he had picked up an injury in the United game you guys would be screaming about him being an idiot for not resting TAA.

Besides, you are again moaning on a pretty high level. You are still top of the league one point clear of Guardiola's City. If anybody offered you going into March with a one point lead over them before the start of the season, you would have taken that - no questions asked.

Pre-season predictions were, City winning the league with 90++ points, Liverpool should be in competition for runner's up with something in the 85 point range (give or take) if the season goes more or less smoothly without major injuries for key players. So an improvement, just not enough to unseat City.

44 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Yes, you're absolutely right - it could be worse, we could be in the relegation zone. If we finish in second place we should be absolutely chuffed because that's where the predictions had us!

Just tone it down, so that I don't get the feeling you were stranded somewhere in the obscurity of midtable football and are thus performing far below expectations, when I read the posts. That would already be enough.

Well, Bayern are missing six players though.

Long term absentees Tolisso and Robben.

And then also missing are Coman, Goretzka, Alaba and Ribery.

Neuer is also doubtful, but will presumably be able to play.

Also ofc, Union managed to win at Kiel.

An interesting parallel with the Schalke penalty against City last week. The difference being that Kane was actually in the process of challenging for the ball, so according to the rule should have been ruled offside.

I still feel the rule needs clarifying before VAR comes in because I don't see why the Schalke one should be a penalty and the Kane one shouldn't. Either both should be penalties or neither should.

Archived