Football: Bayern Seek the CHOsen One

Philokles

Hanging around the penalty area until the opposition is kind enough to foul you has pretty much been Schalke’s main attacking strategy this season. Nice to see it works in Europe too.

I’m not convinced the first one should have been given, but Uth probably should have had a foul in the build up to City’s goal so it had evened itself out. The VAR process was so strange - it took an absolute age when the first angle gave a good view to decide either way, the referee never had a look himself despite being overruled on a subjective matter and in the middle of it he called Ralle and Silva over for a chat for some reason.

4 minutes ago, Philokles said:

Hanging around the penalty area until the opposition is kind enough to foul you has pretty much been Schalke’s main attacking strategy this season. Nice to see it works in Europe too.

I’m not convinced the first one should have been given, but Uth probably should have had a foul in the build up to City’s goal so it had evened itself out. The VAR process was so strange - it took an absolute age when the first angle gave a good view to decide either way, the referee never had a look himself despite being overruled on a subjective matter and in the middle of it he called Ralle and Silva over for a chat for some reason.

Seems to be paying dividends now.Though I would say spending quality time in the opposition's penalty area is prob a good idea.No?

Morata's goal should have stood imo. Very little contact on Chiellini who made an absolute meal of it. Football is a contact sport and Morata's little touch on Chiellini surely shouldn't be enough to be called a foul - if that is a foul then no goal from a set piece should ever be allowed because worse pushing and shoving than that takes place at every set piece. Justice was served though and Atleti are now deservedly 2-0 up. Have totally outplayed Juve in the 2nd half. 

That was a gutting way to lose. I didn’t think for a moment that City wouldn’t turn it around in Manchester, but so close to a great home result.

1 hour ago, redriver said:

Seems to be paying dividends now.Though I would say spending quality time in the opposition's penalty area is prob a good idea.No?

In theory yes, but as you may have noticed Schalke are pretty hopeless going forward from open play. Both of Schalke’s top two scorers are there because they take the penalties. 

1 hour ago, redriver said:

Apparently.Righteously justified penalties too.

I think there's some debate to be had on that.

I would say the first one was justifiable but that ball was struck at considerable pace and Nico didn't move his arm towards the ball, he was in the process of moving it backwards to go behind his back. I'd call it justifiable but harsh. And although it is the rules, a yellow card in this instance seems harsh too (I also thought Nico's 2nd yellow was justifiable but harsh).

The second penalty is interesting because the fouled player was very marginally offside. Now obviously the current rule is that the player only becomes active when he touches the ball. I'm tempted to suggest that this needs amending because surely he must be active if a penalty is awarded for a foul on him. Interested to hear opinions on that.

Just happened to switch over to the game in time for Otamendi's handball and thought that the decision was absolute rubbish. Otamendi's hand was not in an unnatural position and he made no movement towards the ball with his hand (quite the opposite in fact). Taking proximity into account as well as the power behind the shot and I'm not sure what more Otamendi could have done there to prevent the ball hitting his arm. No way should that be deemed a deliberate handball.

On the second penalty, I didn't watch any replays but here is the relevant rule:

In situations where:

a player in an offside position is moving towards the ball with the intention of playing the ball and is fouled before playing or attempting to play the ball, or challenging an opponent for the ball, the foul is penalised as it has occurred before the offside offence

an offence is committed against a player in an offside position who is already playing or attempting to play the ball, or challenging an opponent for the ball, the offside offence is penalised as it has occurred before the foul challenge

Archived