Question Regarding Taboos in Westeros

Dakotti

On 1/31/2019 at 11:31 PM, Dorian Martell's son said:

They did. Casterly Rock Lannisters married Lannisport lannisters all the time 

I see no evidence of that.  We have decent Lannister Family tree for the last 300 years.  I dont see any examples of  them marrying Lannisters of Lannisport. 

Heck we only have 2 examples of them marrying cousins. One is Tywin, the other is his brother marrying a Marbrand( their mother was a Marbrand )

11 minutes ago, dsjj251 said:

I see no evidence of that.  We have decent Lannister Family tree for the last 300 years.  I dont see any examples of  them marrying Lannisters of Lannisport. 

Heck we only have 2 examples of them marrying cousins. One is Tywin, the other is his brother marrying a Marbrand( their mother was a Marbrand )

I think that is a point referenced in passing on several occasions in the books. Although I distinctly remember Catelyn angrily ruminating over this fact, none of the characters nor GRRM himself have gone in depth about that though. 

Lannisters are like Freys in that way. They are everywhere in the Westerlands. There are, in fact, so many Lannisters that different branches with similar names exist like Lanny and Lantell.

7 hours ago, dsjj251 said:

7 hours ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

I think that is a point referenced in passing on several occasions in the books. Although I distinctly remember Catelyn angrily ruminating over this fact, none of the characters nor GRRM himself have gone in depth about that though. 

Lannisters are like Freys in that way. They are everywhere in the Westerlands. There are, in fact, so many Lannisters that different branches with similar names exist like Lanny and Lantell.

The most likely actual example is Ella Lannister, wife of Damon Lannister (eldest brother of Joanna, nephew of Tytos). She's from an unidentified branch, but is most likely a Lannister of Lannisport.

However, bear in mind that the Lannisters of Lannisport are a cadet branch around 8000-4000 years old, depending on where you date the Andal invasion and how much faith you put in the maesters. There's not going to be difference between that and marrying any other westerlander, given how many Lannister daughters must have reasonably married locally over the centuries. Heck, the Karstarks are only about 1000 years old. We also don't really know how old branches like Lanny or Lantell are - they could even be sub-branches of the Lannisport Lannisters themselves.

Also note that the Lannister lineage in TWOIAF is only the last 100+ years, starting with Damon from the Dunk & Egg books. We do not see a full lineage of characters like Loren the Last, Lyman Lannister, Tymond Lannister, Jason Lannister, Lord Loreon Lannister, etc.

The Starks are actually more inclined to close-kinship marriages, though, it seems, with them only having the known half-uncle/half-niece marriages, and several other cousin marriages.

2 hours ago, DominusNovus said:

The French are a very attractive people.

Yes. Yes, they are. A large part of the mystique is the language. It's sooo sexy.

I low-key want to impregnate a French woman (out-of-wedlock preferably), have a biracial Francophonic baby and not know about it for a few years. Low key of course.

3 hours ago, Vaith said:

The most likely actual example is Ella Lannister, wife of Damon Lannister (eldest brother of Joanna, nephew of Tytos). She's from an unidentified branch, but is most likely a Lannister of Lannisport.

However, bear in mind that the Lannisters of Lannisport are a cadet branch around 8000-4000 years old, depending on where you date the Andal invasion and how much faith you put in the maesters. There's not going to be difference between that and marrying any other westerlander, given how many Lannister daughters must have reasonably married locally over the centuries. Heck, the Karstarks are only about 1000 years old. We also don't really know how old branches like Lanny or Lantell are - they could even be sub-branches of the Lannisport Lannisters themselves.

Also note that the Lannister lineage in TWOIAF is only the last 100+ years, starting with Damon from the Dunk & Egg books. We do not see a full lineage of characters like Loren the Last, Lyman Lannister, Tymond Lannister, Jason Lannister, Lord Loreon Lannister, etc.

The Starks are actually more inclined to close-kinship marriages, though, it seems, with them only having the known half-uncle/half-niece marriages, and several other cousin marriages.

Yeah, I imagine the First Men have very different customs in regards to marrying relatives by blood or marriage. The old gods don't seem to have many rules compared to the new gods of the Seven.

The North is also a lot more sparsely populated and geographically huge than the West. And dare I say that life is shorter and more fragile in the North  than it is in the West. So, I imagine it would be harder to find someone you're not closely related to in the North than the West...if you had time for it with winter coming and all that.

15 hours ago, dsjj251 said:

Tywin and Joanna, Tygett and Darlessa, and Damon (Joanna's older half brother) and Ella Lannister. Three Lannisters from the same generation all marrying people with Lannister blood. 

Three examples is a lot considering our sample size, it may even be more, we don't know who Myranda Lefford's mother or grandmother was.

3 hours ago, Bernie Mac said:

Tywin and Joanna, Tygett and Darlessa, and Damon (Joanna's older half brother) and Ella Lannister. Three Lannisters from the same generation all marrying people with Lannister blood. 

Three examples is a lot considering our sample size, it may even be more, we don't know who Myranda Lefford's mother or grandmother was.

The person I responded to said the Lannisters intermarried with the Lannisters of Lannisport all the time . 

As of right now, we only have 1 example of that . 

Archived