Sign in to follow this  
flaydagawd

Was Ser Waymar Royce a proper prick to Gared because he made fun of him?

"His cloak was his crowning glory; sable, thick and black and soft as sin. “Bet he killed them all himself, he did,” Gared told the barracks over wine, “twisted their little heads off, our mighty warrior.” They had all shared the laugh. It is hard to take orders from a man you laughed at in your cups,"

Let's think of GRRM creating this character who's not a big part of the series (well, depends on how you look at it). He's going to figure out a backstory for him, think about what he looks and most importantly get into his mind. Maybe Royce had heard or overheard Gared's jape towards him? Royce is dismissive of Will and Gared's concerns when it comes to the danger while they are ranging but when it comes to Will he's more respectful to him and even kinda mentors a little bit, not something you would expect out of a character who is portrayed as young, cocky lord who has a superiority complex -

“My mother told me that dead men sing no songs,”

“My wet nurse said the same thing, Will,” Royce replied. “Never believe anything you hear at a woman’s tit. There are things to be learned even from the dead.

“They couldn’t have froze. Not if the Wall was weeping. It wasn’t cold enough.”

Bright lad. We’ve had a few light frosts this past week, and a quick flurry of snow now and then, but surely no cold fierce enough to kill eight grown men.

But when it comes to Gared he's a lot more prickly -

“Do the dead frighten you?”

“It does that every day about this time. Are you unmanned by the dark, Gared?”

“Such eloquence, Gared,” Ser Waymar observed. “I never suspected you had it in you.”

Could the way Ser Waymar treated be payback for Gared's little jape and it's not just him being a shit to him for no reason since he doesn't do it to Will? 

NOTE: This is my first time analysing/theorising with the text like this. Usually I don't do this but ASOIAF is a special case and I thought why not do something original like analyse the first page (there wasn't much but there was something lol). Would like to hear your thoughts

The Watch is a rather small group so him hearing or being told about it  isn't outta the question.

Edited by M.Alhazred

I suppose he could've overheard him. I mean, Jon Snow made one jape at Alliser Thorne's expense, and they have been sworn enemies ever since. If we have learnt anything from ASOIAF, its that the highborn Lords are prickly cunts. 

I don’t think it has to do with an insult from Gared as perceived by Royce. Gared insults Royce in the first place because Gared thinks he’s a jerk in general, and Royce’s behavior in the text bears that out.

I find it odd that Royce is leading the party in the first place. Doesn’t everyone start over at the Wall, highborn or not? Shouldn’t Gared be commanding Royce?

4 hours ago, Sarah Michelle Gellar said:

I don’t think it has to do with an insult from Gared as perceived by Royce. Gared insults Royce in the first place because Gared thinks he’s a jerk in general, and Royce’s behavior in the text bears that out.

I find it odd that Royce is leading the party in the first place. Doesn’t everyone start over at the Wall, highborn or not? Shouldn’t Gared be commanding Royce?

I think it was said that since they get so few highborns at the wall in the prologue, the watch kind of let him take the lead on such an insignificant outing. But he should have been low man on the totem pole like you said.

Edited by The Last Storm

On 6/12/2019 at 12:28 PM, The Last Storm said:

I think it was said that since they get so few highborns at the wall in the prologue, the watch kind of let him take the lead on such an insignificant outing

If it says this somewhere, I'm fairly certain it isn't the prologue. I just finished rereading that, and no mention. Maybe later in the story?

On 6/12/2019 at 7:41 AM, Sarah Michelle Gellar said:

Especially since Ser Waymar had less than half a year's experience in the Night's Watch to Gared's forty. Either the meritocratic party line is empty rhetoric, or... Gared was super incompetent? It doesn't really jive.