Did Jon warg into Ghost unknowingly to find him?

flaydagawd

Ghost who is notoriously quiet and doesn't make sounds yet Jon hears him all the same from a fair distance.

Halfway across the bridge, Jon pulled up suddenly.
“What is it, Jon?” their lord father asked.
“Can’t you hear it?”
Bran could hear the wind in the trees, the clatter of their hooves on the ironwood planks, the whimpering of his hungry pup, but Jon was listening to something else.
“There,” Jon said. He swung his horse around and galloped back across the bridge.

So he was far enough away to swing back a decent size horse and do a gallop halfway across a bridge? Me thinks not. Perhaps Jon could 'hear' Ghost because he knew he was there even though nobody else heard it. Does Jon have super sonic hearing all of a sudden? Nah. Although I can see how Jon warging for a split second would be met with some scepticism. Another point for the warging tho -

"Bran thought it curious that this pup alone would have opened his eyes while the others were still blind."

Bran may be right to think this as this might be the first time one of the Stark children wargs into their wolf. Jon perhaps warged long enough to open his eyes and not much else.

To be honest, I'm not familiar with how all the Stark children are wargs except Bran because in my first read through I was just along for the ride. I'm currently on my second and am studying the text more as we go along but I know a lot of people talk about the Stark children being wargs a bit and how it might be relevant to the end game. And this may be where it beings.

54 minutes ago, flaydagawd said:

To be honest, I'm not familiar with how all the Stark children are wargs except Bran because in my first read through I was just along for the ride. I'm currently on my second and am studying the text more as we go along but I know a lot of people talk about the Stark children being wargs a bit and how it might be relevant to the end game. And this may be where it beings.

You will find the clues/scenes now that you’re rereading. But besides clues and quite a few scenes where the other Stark kids show their warg/skinchanging capabilities, we have Martin confirming that yes, they all have the gift. 

Are all the Stark children wargs/skin changers with their wolves?

To a greater or lesser degree, yes, but the amount of control varies widely.

I'd stick with Ghost having established a mental bond with Jon, not of Jon literally entering the consciousness of the pup and seeing through Ghost's eyes. That is to say "no warg." Throughout the series, Jon actually does enter Ghost's consciousness, and realizes it. His senses become keener, the world is brighter and richer than Jon's merely human senses would show.

We need to remember that a close bond with a particular wolf doesn't necessarily iimply that the Stark in question is a full-fledged skinchanger that can comandeer any animal and control them fully. Bran has revealed this power, but needs to be trained in its use. Arya is discovering it on her own.

Archived