Poll: Is Daario actually Euron?

Platypus Rex

5 minutes ago, Platypus Rex said:

In my opinion, Dany's last chapter in book 3, which ends with Daario still in Meereen (but about to leave as we later learn), probably takes place before the Kingsmoot chapters in book 4.  In turn, the Kingsmoot chapters in Book 4 certainly take place before the Catelyn chapter, in the middle of book 3, where Catelyn learns that Euron has already become king.

If you have evidence to the contrary, produce it. 

:devil:  No, if you want to prove that Euron is Daario it is on you.

Euron was home in the Iron Isle when Dany met Daario.

Otherwise accept my poll position. No, Euron is not Daario.

2 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

:devil:  No, if you want to prove that Euron is Daario it is on you.

Euron was home in the Iron Isle when Dany met Daario.

Otherwise accept my poll position. No, Euron is not Daario.

LOL, no I'm not trying to prove anything to you.  I thought you were offering an argument, and not merely restating your position.  So I responded accordingly.  And your vote has been counted.  If you are worried, check the tally as recorded on the first post.

1 minute ago, Platypus Rex said:

LOL, no I'm not trying to prove anything to you.  I thought you were offering an argument, and not merely restating your position.  So I responded accordingly.  And your vote has been counted.  If you are worried, check the tally as recorded on the first post.

I have no problem with bored ASOIAF readers conducting polls.

There isn't much to discuss and there are limits as to what can be discussed in the general book forum.

What I take issue with is when an arse tries to do a frekking mental masturbation.

2 minutes ago, Platypus Rex said:

A bit insulting, no?  What penance will you perform if the theory turns out to be correct?

No. I do not take the words I typed  below as insulting. And no penance will I partake in.

28 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

What I take issue with is when an arse tries to do a frekking mental masturbation.

In answer to your question about whether the theory turns out to be true ---- okay. 

39 minutes ago, Platypus Rex said:

LOL, no I'm not trying to prove anything to you. 

Exactly.

3 minutes ago, Platypus Rex said:

Haha.  No confidence in your position, then.  You won't even eat your hat.

'

Weeeel now iffin I am wrong I willna not be flagellating.

You and I have gotten off track.

You seem to be under the impression Euron is Daario. 

I am not.

On 2/1/2019 at 4:34 PM, Platypus Rex said:

This is a poll.  Please answer "Yes" or "No" to the following question:

Are Daario Naharis (Dany's lover in Slaver's Bay) and Euron Greyjoy (now king of the Iron Islands) one and the same person?

Can't believe this is even a question, but no.

13 hours ago, Platypus Rex said:

In turn, the Kingsmoot chapters in Book 4 certainly take place before the Catelyn chapter, in the middle of book 3, where Catelyn learns that Euron has already become king.

Could you please pinpoint the specific chapter that this occurs because I don't remember that.

On 2/10/2019 at 1:17 AM, Platypus Rex said:

The same thing that drives me toward the Sandor/Gravedigger idea, specifically, the various clues and evidences.

None of these clues or evidences are airtight.  Hence, they all can be explained away by someone who (for whatever reason) does not particularly want to believe the theory.  I have no particular argument against the objections you are raising above; none other than that they are no different from the sort of objections one could raise to Sandor/Gravedigger.

But here's the thing:  People WANT to believe that Sandor is the Gravedigger.  No-one wants to believe he is actually dead.

People do NOT WANT to believe that Daario = Euron.  And of course, no subtle clue can force them.

The other difference is the time/distance objection.  Sandor/Gravedigger are easy to coordinate in time and place.  Euron/Daario whether workable or not, is, at the very least, a timeline headache.

This is a little bit contrived and I don't agree with you stating and restating an equivalence in "evidence" here when one is clearly hinted at and the other is pure moonshine in comparison.  Your assertion is not true and you have done nothing to establish a basis for it.

There are good reasons for believing Sandor is the gravedigger: the presence of Stranger at the Quiet Isle and both the behaviour of Stranger and the Gravedigger are intended to catch the reader's eye and make them think; and his supposed off page death being part of a tradition of GRRM setting us up to believe a character is dead / about to die only to show he had quite different intentions,.

Of course this is simply a hint to the readers and nothing has been proven but it's a clear inference

Saying that Euron = Daario has equivalent (but more "subtle") clues or set up for the readers is simply not true.

For the record, I had no problem with Sandor being dead.  It's GRRM who seemed to hint to us that he's not.

31 minutes ago, the trees have eyes said:

This is a little bit contrived and I don't agree with you stating and restating an equivalence in "evidence" here when one is clearly hinted at and the other is pure moonshine in comparison.  Your assertion is not true and you have done nothing to establish a basis for it.

There are good reasons for believing Sandor is the gravedigger: the presence of Stranger at the Quiet Isle and both the behaviour of Stranger and the Gravedigger are intended to catch the reader's eye and make them think; and his supposed off page death being part of a tradition of GRRM setting us up to believe a character is dead / about to die only to show he had quite different intentions,.

Of course this is simply a hint to the readers and nothing has been proven but it's a clear inference

Saying that Euron = Daario has equivalent (but more "subtle") clues or set up for the readers is simply not true.

For the record, I had no problem with Sandor being dead.  It's GRRM who seemed to hint to us that he's not.

For the record, I have no problem with Euron and Daario being separate people.  It's GRRM who seems (perhaps) to hint otherwise.

Your pretense of being able to mindread GRRM's intentions, does not make the subtle clues for Sandor = Gravedigger any less subtle or ambiguous.  It's just that, on this issue, nobody wants to be a denialist.  How does the horse being alive logically prove that Sandor is not dead?  It simply doesn't.

Sandor=Gravedigger is a solid theory.  But if anyone wanted to play denialist, they would have a pretty easy time of it.

You're just assuming GRRM intends you to think what you think.  It is confirmation bias on steroids.

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 2:29 PM, Platypus Rex said:

In turn, the Kingsmoot chapters in Book 4 certainly take place before the Catelyn chapter, in the middle of book 3, where Catelyn learns that Euron has already become king.

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 4:24 AM, Three-Fingered Pete said:

Could you please pinpoint the specific chapter that this occurs because I don't remember that.

So, should I count this as a no? :)

31 minutes ago, Three-Fingered Pete said:

So, should I count this as a no? :)

Well, you could go to "A Search of Ice and Fire", select Catelyn's chapters from A Storm of Swords, and search for "Euron".

However, now that I look at those entries, it may be that I have overstated my case.  While Catelyn receives news that Euron has declared himself king and sate himself on the Seastone Chair, it is not clear that the events of the Kingsmoot have yet occurred.

They still may have occurred, however, as it presumably takes time for news to travel from the Iron Islands to the Riverlands. 

45 minutes ago, Platypus Rex said:

Well, you could go to "A Search of Ice and Fire", select Catelyn's chapters from A Storm of Swords, and search for "Euron".

However, now that I look at those entries, it may be that I have overstated my case.  While Catelyn receives news that Euron has declared himself king and sate himself on the Seastone Chair, it is not clear that the events of the Kingsmoot have yet occurred.

They still may have occurred, however, as it presumably takes time for news to travel from the Iron Islands to the Riverlands. 

The purpose of my existence in the universe is not to find citations for your arguments. Besides, I suspected that I already knew the answers. Thank you for confirming them.

Now, while I'll readily agree that portions of the Iron Islands story were put on hold while we were reading about other events, I'm not so convinced that so much time has passed in world that it seems like Euron was hanging around doing nothing for ages before we meet Aeron in AFfC.

In the chapter that the information is cited (Catelyn V), the timeframe is around two weeks or more with all the traveling (eight days are mentioned as passing, but the chapter is much longer than that time-wise) and the information is imparted near the end of the chapter. And we still have to estimate the travel time of the Myraham and the subsequent journey of the captain to meet Robb at his camp. I'll need to pay more attention to the timeframes of the chapters around that one and the subsequent chapters to estimate the time. I don't necessarily agree with the unofficial timeline that others reference, but that's my problem.

3 hours ago, Three-Fingered Pete said:

The purpose of my existence in the universe is not to find citations for your arguments. 

That's fine, dude.  But the only thing I promised to do here is count the votes.  I put your vote in the "no" column, and I'm happy to let it stay there.   In the meantime, I'll make such points as I please, and bow out when I please, expending as much or as little energy as I please.  So, I don't have to look up quotes for you either.  I accept no "burden of proof".   Fair?

Cat received word that Balon died in SoS. (appears Balon died)

Euron was home in SoS. (appears that in a FfC Euron's homecoming was discussed)

A Feast for Crows - The Kraken's Daughter   "Three years away, and the Crow's Eye returns the very day my father dies."   "The day after, we had heard. Silence was still out to sea when Balon died, or so it is claimed. Even so, I will agree that Euron's return was . . . timely, shall we say?"/

Dany first met Daario in SoS.

Kingsmoot is discussed in FfC.

Daario is wooing Dany when Euron is wooing the Ironborn.

Magic.

1 hour ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Cat received word that Balon died in SoS. (appears Balon died)

Euron was home in SoS. (appears that in a FfC Euron's homecoming was discussed)

A Feast for Crows - The Kraken's Daughter   "Three years away, and the Crow's Eye returns the very day my father dies."   "The day after, we had heard. Silence was still out to sea when Balon died, or so it is claimed. Even so, I will agree that Euron's return was . . . timely, shall we say?"/

Dany first met Daario in SoS.

Kingsmoot is discussed in FfC.

Daario is wooing Dany when Euron is wooing the Ironborn.

Magic.

You're ignoring the Cavill on Chronology, and assuming chapters take place in the order in which they are printed.  GRRM warns that they do not.

Dany leaves Qarth

2 weeks later, 4 warlocks leave Qarth, with the intent of following Dany to Pentos; at around this time Dany has landed in Slaver's Bay.

Euron captures these warlocks and hears their "curious tale".  At around this time, Dany meets Daario.

Dany conquered Meereen.

Dany sends Daario on a mission to the Lamb Men.

Instead, Daario/Euron hops on the Silence and sails to the Iron Islands.

Daario arrives on the Iron Islands, with his captured Qartheen warlocks.

3 minutes ago, Platypus Rex said:

You're ignoring the Cavill on Chronology, and assuming chapters take place in the order in which they are printed.  GRRM warns that they do not.

:wub:

I am not ignoring the Cavil nor am I ignoring "Meanwhile back at the Wall."

1 minute ago, Clegane'sPup said:

:wub:

I am not ignoring the Cavil nor am I ignoring "Meanwhile back at the Wall."

Then what is the basis of your claim that Daario is wooing Dany at the same time that Euron is wooing the Ironborn?  How did you coordinate these events chronologically?

Archived