Sea Dragon

Is death good? Why fight the Others?

As GRRM pointed out in an interview, fire and Ice will both kill you dead.  Good intentions notwithstanding, I don't think Dany unambiguously represents life and life-giving, at this point in her story arc.  The forces of death swirl around her too, and try to influence her story arc.  I don't anticipate she will necessarily end up as a villain, but her choices will matter.

And no, we are not meant to endorse the forces of death.  The Others are indeed Evil. 

Edited by Platypus Rex

15 minutes ago, Platypus Rex said:

The Others are indeed Evil. 

Not to them. It's time we jettisoned our stunted, bigoted, humano-centric world view.

35 minutes ago, zandru said:

Not to them. It's time we jettisoned our stunted, bigoted, humano-centric world view.

Ah yes. It's simply being bigoted to not like the possibility of being slaughtered and resurrected as a zombie. ;)

57 minutes ago, zandru said:

[Maude Flanders Voice] Won't someone please think of the Others?! [/Maude Flanders Voice]

:D

1 hour ago, White Ravens said:

[Maude Flanders Voice] Won't someone please think of the Others?! [/Maude Flanders Voice]

?

1 hour ago, White Ravens said:

3 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

?

It was Helen Lovejoy, not Maude! ;)

52 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

?

48 minutes ago, Vaith said:

It was Helen Lovejoy, not Maude! ;)

D'OH!

Apologies for making a bad joke based on faulty memory.  

On 2/2/2019 at 12:55 PM, Sea Dragon said:

Hello again. I have another question that might be obvious to some but I just have more questions. So far in this series nothing is like other normal and predictable fantasy books. George is doing that undoing the expected thing all over the story. I like this idea and I like it a lot because it keeps me interested. But if a common reasoning says that there must be a balance between life and death, then why are the Others the bad guys? We know Queen Danaerys is the giver of life so why are the Others so bad if they bring balance? 

Thank you.

Death is the status quo.  For the lack of a better term, it's the default state of the universe.  Life constantly work to exists.  Life has to be the hero because without it, ahem, even this discussion would not take place.  The question of good guy vs. bad guy is microscopically insignificant when you put it up in comparison with the cosmic scale of the universe's existence itself.  We are only insects in this universe.  Small and powerless.  Judging who is good and not only exists in our microscopic existence.  This is an extreme topic to be discussing and it falls outside the realm of the novels.  I would even say it is beyond the normal course of every day life because we take it for granted that living is a good thing.  Without life even philosophy and morality cannot exists.  

5 hours ago, Vaith said:

Ah yes. It's simply being bigoted to not like the possibility of being slaughtered and resurrected as a zombie. ;)

Well, we can't really answer that until we truly understand WHY the Others have been killing men (and giants, and bears, etc etc) and reanimating them. Seems like a bad thing to the victims, sure, but what's the larger picture? I don't expect you know the answer any more than I do, of course. Jon Snow was clearly interested in finding this out.

He had good precedent for wondering. Up until the big wildling assault on the Wall, everyone had assumed that the wildlings had been moving south, trying to cross the wall as a way of moving into the seven kingdoms proper, for the purposes of rapine, theft, and destruction. By living with them, learning to talk with them, gaining their trust, Jon found that the wildling "army" was running for their lives, from the threat of the Others. The killing, the zombification, etc, as we've noted. Jon could thus make common cause with the wildlings and get their help in defending the Wall against the Others and their dead minions. Good. Next step: what's eating the Others? Seems like the obvious question.

I mean who's perspective is this coming from? If I'm a sentient being and someone wants to turn me into a walking corpse then I don't particularly give a shit how benevolent his motive is. 

If the Others are beyond morality like the wider universe is, that means we get to use our morality to judge them because ours is the only one available because the Others refuse to join in the conversation.   This is probably the explanation for the millennia stalemate that's underway.   

The Others are trying to survive too, aren't they?  Isn't that why they accept Craster's offerings?  To continue the existence of their species.  The Others are not dead.  They're just a different form of life.  Both sides in this fight want to continue living.  Maybe they should work together and reach a compromise.  The warm bloods move south and leave the north to the cold bloods.  That's the way to harmony where no one need die.