The First Law- But a Second Reread (or Third, or Fourth or Fi.....) spoilers for First Law books

A True Kaniggit

11 minutes ago, Yohn said:

That is but one of his many remarkable talents.

I'm amazed ferro didn't kill him. 

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 11:26 AM, red snow said:

Exactly. By season 3 it's hopefully a hit and can afford bigger budgets or it's not and cancelled. Is heroes any harder to make than band of brothers 20 years ago? Although I'm sure that show cost a fortune at the time.

Someone needs to drop copies of the book by jeff Bezos he seems to like funding SFF shows these days

Band of Brothers at the time was the most expensive show in history. 

Maybe a hot young thing could pitch it to Bezos, he seems to lose all perspective around vaguely attractive women.

re: an adaptation, do you guys remember this from last year:

and here's Joe's response:

I don't recall seeing anything since this, but something seems to be in the works, we just don't know exactly what it is or when we might be getting it.

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I'm amazed ferro didn't kill him. 

Band of Brothers at the time was the most expensive show in history. 

Maybe a hot young thing could pitch it to Bezos, he seems to lose all perspective around vaguely attractive women.

But it was 20 years ago so a lot cheaper to do the same thing now especially if you use cgi instead of practical effects.

Is Sanderson a hot young thing? He was hanging out at Amazon studios last week

2 hours ago, matt b said:

re: an adaptation, do you guys remember this from last year:

and here's Joe's response:

I don't recall seeing anything since this, but something seems to be in the works, we just don't know exactly what it is or when we might be getting it.

I wonder if it's a game? Witcher became a game before the books were really well known. And a lot of games use actors nowadays.

A tv show sounds less complicated than a game though. Either way i wonder if it is indevelopment hell/passed on? It seems hard for shows to avoid attention these days especially if development has been underway for a while. It's almost a promotional tool for it to be known it's being developed.

Just now, red snow said:

I wonder if it's a game? Witcher became a game before the books were really well known. And a lot of games use actors nowadays.

A tv show sounds less complicated than a game though. Either way i wonder if it is indevelopment hell/passed on? It seems hard for shows to avoid attention these days especially if development has been underway for a while. It's almost a promotional tool for it to be known it's being developed. 

Abercrombie's "low magic" world seems like kind of a bad fit for a game.  There's no interesting other races, just the Shanka who even Joe seems to have lost interest in. 

On 2/13/2019 at 9:34 AM, A True Kaniggit said:

Didn't Logen kinda eat someone after one of his duels, does blood count as consuming the flesh of man? I don't think it was ever mentioned if he got his spirit communication powers before or after that incident. I can easily see him getting some abilities at this point when he broke the second law.

Just read the part where he was thinking back to his duel with shama heartless 'cutting and cutting, and licking the blood from his fingers'. So maybe!

58 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Abercrombie's "low magic" world seems like kind of a bad fit for a game.  There's no interesting other races, just the Shanka who even Joe seems to have lost interest in. 

GTA and red dead (both games which joe loves) Don't have Magic either but they work fine. Exchange a gun for a bow and there really isn't much difference. Granted it would be very hard to adapt a given storyline but you could easily run around as logen getting involved in missions with bethod, then bayaz etc. B9 mode seems ideally suited to gameplay too.

I'd rather have a TV/film but I'd also like a fantasy GTA style game.

3 hours ago, red snow said:

GTA and red dead (both games which joe loves) Don't have Magic either but they work fine. Exchange a gun for a bow and there really isn't much difference. Granted it would be very hard to adapt a given storyline but you could easily run around as logen getting involved in missions with bethod, then bayaz etc. B9 mode seems ideally suited to gameplay too.

I'd rather have a TV/film but I'd also like a fantasy GTA style game.

Although those are essentially in the real world (right? I haven't played red dead).  And I'm not saying that you can't make a game with the First Law world.  Of course you could, and if it's a great game people will like it.  But they'll like it because it's a great game, not because it's First Law.  As a First Law fan, if the announcement was that it was a video game, my reaction would be "oh, I'll check if that is good", not "oh, I gotta play that."  There's very little about the world that I love, it's that Abercrombie tells a good story. 

27 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Although those are essentially in the real world (right? I haven't played red dead).  And I'm not saying that you can't make a game with the First Law world.  Of course you could, and if it's a great game people will like it.  But they'll like it because it's a great game, not because it's First Law.  As a First Law fan, if the announcement was that it was a video game, my reaction would be "oh, I'll check if that is good", not "oh, I gotta play that."  There's very little about the world that I love, it's that Abercrombie tells a good story. 

The zombie version of Red dead from a decade ago is actually a good fit with Abercrombie's cynical humour and messing around with genre tropes. I do get your point though in that I'd only maybe buy a First Law game if it was by folk with  a track record in games whereas I'd give the tv show and film a go irrespective (although I probably wouldn't pay to watch a shit First law film)

Maybe Abercrombie was being super coy and it was sony interactive entertainment and not Sony studios?

Wow I completely blanked on Yulwei’s actual description first time around. I just had him as some serene bearded old white man. Clearly didn’t pay sufficient attention!

West has only had 2 chapters so far and I already find him annoying and pretty detestable.

The first law series can be adapted into a good game. But there’s nothing in it particularly that would make it one. Interesting characters, but not really that of an interesting world.

ASOIF has both.

The two video game adaptations weren’t that well received.

I hate the Telltale adaptation quite frankly.

5 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

The first law series can be adapted into a good game. But there’s nothing in it particularly that would make it one. Interesting characters, but not really that of an interesting world.

ASOIF has both.

The two video game adaptations weren’t that well received.

I hate the Telltale adaptation quite frankly.

The witcher is quite popular though. I suspect the game engine/playability is a much bigger factor than the world-building to be honest. A telltale adaptation of Spider-man is probably going to be inferior to the PS4 game for example.

I just read the fish out of water chapter with Logen. I think one chapter is enough for that. Ardee is also coming off as quite repetitive although it's kind of sad to know that she is exactly right about how she'll be discarded for being a commoner.

10 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Wow I completely blanked on Yulwei’s actual description first time around. I just had him as some serene bearded old white man. Clearly didn’t pay sufficient attention!

West has only had 2 chapters so far and I already find him annoying and pretty detestable.

I find him more dull at this point. The most detestable thing he has done so far IMO was in a Jezal chapter where he was warning him off his sister. Some toxic masculinity going on there - shame Liam Neeson is too old to play him.

53 minutes ago, red snow said:

The witcher is quite popular though. I suspect the game engine/playability is a much bigger factor than the world-building to be honest. A telltale adaptation of Spider-man is probably going to be inferior to the PS4 game for example.

I just read the fish out of water chapter with Logen. I think one chapter is enough for that. Ardee is also coming off as quite repetitive although it's kind of sad to know that she is exactly right about how she'll be discarded for being a commoner.

I find him more dull at this point. The most detestable thing he has done so far IMO was in a Jezal chapter where he was warning him off his sister. Some toxic masculinity going on there - shame Liam Neeson is too old to play him.

I think him grinning over the war and the social advancement it offers him is pretty shitty too

1 hour ago, C.T. Phipps said:

I think any sane man would warn Jezal off their sister.

Their relationship can cause nothing but harm.

True but there’s no indication West has any real knowledge or understanding of his sister to the extent he could tell they’d be a bad couple. He just cares about status and shame.

7 minutes ago, john said:

True but there’s no indication West has any real knowledge or understanding of his sister to the extent he could tell they’d be a bad couple. He just cares about status and shame.

Yep. He is rather fixated on social class and status and being humiliated. Understandable but leads to him being not too likeable.

I also want to mention how much I love little things that for now seem like character quirks that just give flavour to the story but become revelant to the plot later on. Like indigestion....

1 hour ago, C.T. Phipps said:

I think any sane man would warn Jezal off their sister.

Their relationship can cause nothing but harm.

I think it's more the way West goes about it that's a bit off/psychotic. Although it's great foreshadowing to his future actions. He also has a tendency to assume things for his sister and the woman he meets in book 2 without really asking for their input.

19 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I think him grinning over the war and the social advancement it offers him is pretty shitty too

Given he's one of the few characters in the book not openly creating a war for his own advancement - I'd say that a soldier happy at the prospect of finding advancement in a society where warfare is his only path isn't so bad. He is actually good at being a soldier unlike the prince who's doing it for fun but without any aptitude.

2 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Yep. He is rather fixated on social class and status and being humiliated. Understandable but leads to him being not too likeable.

I also want to mention how much I love little things that for now seem like character quirks that just give flavour to the story but become revelant to the plot later on. Like indigestion....

I enjoyed the burping and indigestion too. When Joe talks about his editing/rewriting process I get the feeling these little things like indigestion and West's temper/attitude to women are the sort of things he embellishes upon.

Archived