The First Law- But a Second Reread (or Third, or Fourth or Fi.....) spoilers for First Law books

A True Kaniggit

I was paying special attention to vitari during the scenes with the eater woman for signs of recognition. There isn't really much to go on but that could be her being careful. She already knows shenkt at this point or do their kids pop up after the trilogy?

Anyway i find it odd how khalul's eaters are described as unfeeling mosters addicted to eating. Yet shenkt and sulfur don't seem to be so badly afflicted. Is this more to do with khalul's brainwashing or more to do with how bayaz creates his eater/servants.

The eater interrogation and zacharius chapters cone back to back pouring scorn and doubt on bayaz yet i can remember bayaz still seeming "good" at this point. I guess Bayaz himself points out how "evil" is a lazy term for the likes of him and the magi. And it still seems as though his methods aren't as bad as khalul's

13 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Meh, I think it’s more Cosca was always complete shit and Temple is now, starting to have a problem with that, or starting to recognize that. Cosca didn’t change. He was no worse or better than the man he was in “Before they are hanged” and in his introduction of “Best served cold”. Temple like Shy is coming to grips with who their father-figure really is. Temple’s falling out with Cosca also kinda reminds me of Logen’s falling out with Bethod. Both Temple and Logan rebel  due to their shifts in thinking simply can not abide working for their friend/master any longer, and start to see their master as a great evil, that helped largely to corrupt them. Temple like Logan initially gave “noble” reasons for why he’s supported Cosca-but those reasons simply aren’t true-at the very least they don’t tell the whole story. 

There's truth in that. but Cosca displays a degree of cruelty in ARC that we don't see in earlier books.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

I was paying special attention to vitari during the scenes with the eater woman for signs of recognition. There isn't really much to go on but that could be her being careful. She already knows shenkt at this point or do their kids pop up after the trilogy?

Anyway i find it odd how khalul's eaters are described as unfeeling mosters addicted to eating. Yet shenkt and sulfur don't seem to be so badly afflicted. Is this more to do with khalul's brainwashing or more to do with how bayaz creates his eater/servants.

The eater interrogation and zacharius chapters cone back to back pouring scorn and doubt on bayaz yet i can remember bayaz still seeming "good" at this point. I guess Bayaz himself points out how "evil" is a lazy term for the likes of him and the magi. And it still seems as though his methods aren't as bad as khalul's

I don't think that any of Mamun, Ishri, or Shickel are unfeeling monsters, although plenty of the other Eaters are.  I think there is a great deal of variation among Eaters, with some of them revelling in what they do, and others thinking it a necessary evil.

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

I don't think that any of Mamun, Ishri, or Shickel are unfeeling monsters, although plenty of the other Eaters are.  I think there is a great deal of variation among Eaters, with some of them revelling in what they do, and others thinking it a necessary evil.

Which i guess means the likes of the one Glokta caught being full of shit implying the process made her a monster. I guess shirking of responsibility is a common theme of the series though.

48 minutes ago, red snow said:

Which i guess means the likes of the one Glokta caught being full of shit implying the process made her a monster. I guess shirking of responsibility is a common theme of the series though.

No, I think she was sincere that she hated her life. 

Don't understand bayaz interfering in the heroes but with shit advice. With all his knowledge and experience why not be useful instead of an old useless overbearing cunt? 

Also Finree is just Ardee in a different body. 

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Don't understand bayaz interfering in the heroes but with shit advice. With all his knowledge and experience why not be useful instead of an old useless overbearing cunt? 

Also Finree is just Ardee in a different body. 

you're almost 4 books ahead of me!

5 hours ago, SeanF said:

No, I think she was sincere that she hated her life. 

But she made it sound like she had no choice because of what she had become. I guess some people may just not be cut out to be eaters but it seemed more like self-pity than the non khalul eaters we've encountered (or will encounter)

It was nice to have Ferro stick up for Logen in the "scars around the campfire" scene in book 2. It was also interesting to hear Logen give us a rough timeline of the bloody nine (although the earlier encounters don't really seem to be violent encounters where B9 manifests and is much more in line with Logen just being crazy or possessed). Although it was interesting to hear him admit there was an entire winter where he can't really remember anything. Was this the period we saw in "sharp ends"?

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Really? I mean he pretty handily opened the doors for the Ghirkish to burst through and enslave Dagoska.  

Shitty, but understandable, to save his life. In ARC, he seems to kill and torture just because he can.

14 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I don't get that.

Finree seems far more ambitious than Ardee was.

Also happily married, much more considerate, and not an alcoholic. 

15 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Really? I mean he pretty handily opened the doors for the Ghirkish to burst through and enslave Dagoska.  

Dagoska was doomed whether he opened the gates or not.  It made the difference of what, a day?  I mean, it's still a shitty thing to do obviously, but I agree that it seemed like the worst of Cosca had taken over by ARC. 

15 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

The Dagoskans weren't enslaved though and were largely spared. The Union troops were massacred and the mercenaries taken into slavery.

I don't think it's expressly stated he did open the doors to be honest. 

22 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Also happily married, much more considerate, and not an alcoholic. 

1 and 3 maybe (not that they are character traits), she is not remotely considerate. 

On 3/18/2019 at 5:23 PM, SeanF said:

Shitty, but understandable, to save his life. In ARC, he seems to kill and torture just because he can.

Fair enough in regards to Dragoska. But I don’t see him torturing or killing because he could in Red country. He tortures and kills for what he tortures and kills for-money. Either to save it or procure it. 

Anyone else find Glocka thinking Ardree would be better off if she married him odd?

I mean the prospect of marrying the publicly known devious, hideous, feared and altogether despised cripple, probably shouldn’t make her more popular than she’d currently be. 

Hell, I don’t even she her unwed status as that much an issue given whose the sire-giving birth to a son of a king, isn’t exactly the total end to all prospects for the woman-quite the opposite-she could very well guilt trip Jezal into providing their child with a nobleman’s upbringing. 

Also, upon re-reading the scene where Jezal tells Ardree he plans to quit, I see Ardree as acting a bigger dick than I initially thought.

Jezal really isn’t doing anything by professing this sport he’s not really interested in, and has pressured on him by authority figures his life.

13 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Anyone else find Glocka thinking Ardree would be better off if she married him odd?

I mean the prospect of marrying the publicly known devious, hideous, feared and altogether despised cripple, probably shouldn’t make her more popular than she’d currently be. 

Hell, I don’t even she her unwed status as that much an issue given whose the sire-giving birth to a son of a king, isn’t exactly the total end to all prospects for the woman-quite the opposite-she could very well guilt trip Jezal into providing their child with a nobleman’s upbringing. 

Glokta married her because Hoff was planning on having her killed. I think Ardee agrees being married to Glokta was preferable to death.

9 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Glokta married her because Hoff was planning on having her killed. I think Ardee agrees being married to Glokta was preferable to death.

This. 

Also little Glokta could turn out quite the swordsman (if male). The DNA of 2 champions and possibly the best duellist ever as a mentor.  

Archived