The First Law- But a Second Reread (or Third, or Fourth or Fi.....) spoilers for First Law books

A True Kaniggit

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

This. 

Also little Glokta could turn out quite the swordsman (if male). The DNA of 2 champions and possibly the best duellist ever as a mentor.  

Was West a champion? I thought he was in the same tournament as Glokta?

I'm also trying to work out why I've assumed said kid will be a girl? Was it from when we were trying to fit cast descriptions to characters? Or is just me thinking a cocky female character with elements of glokta, jezal and ardee would be more fun?

6 minutes ago, red snow said:

West won an earlier tournament, he was helping Varuz by sparring with Jezal to get him ready for this tournament. He remarked that he saw winning as the best way to advance himself. 

He must have been pretty good as he also gave Glokta a surprise in sharp ends. 

2 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

West won an earlier tournament, he was helping Varuz by sparring with Jezal to get him ready for this tournament. He remarked that he saw winning as the best way to advance himself. 

He must have been pretty good as he also gave Glokta a surprise in sharp ends. 

Thanks for clarifying. I'm thinking I'm going to have to add sharp ends to my reread as well

2 hours ago, red snow said:

I'm also trying to work out why I've assumed said kid will be a girl? Was it from when we were trying to fit cast descriptions to characters? Or is just me thinking a cocky female character with elements of glokta, jezal and ardee would be more fun?

It's in the blurb for the new trilogy.  An acid-tongued investor and socialite.  She sounds perfectly obnoxious.

11 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Going back to a previous discussion, I wonder what Logen was called before he got his finger cut off. Doesn't seem the sort of person that would have had to wait that long to get his name. 

Maybe rather than being The Bloody Nine, he was just Logen The Bloody?

On 3/21/2019 at 4:31 PM, A True Kaniggit said:

Glokta married her because Hoff was planning on having her killed. I think Ardee agrees being married to Glokta was preferable to death.

Wouldn’t it be simpler and more effective to just flat out kill Hoff or just threaten him with it? And why exactly did Hoff see Ardree pregnancy  as a threat? I mean Jezal having a bastard. So long as the bastard isn’t shown too much favor it shouldn’t be an issue no?

Also, I think its interesting how Glocka relationship with Jezal eventually lands. Though, Glocka is undeniably in a superior position to the man he doesn’t really use that fact to mock Jezal even in private and even seems agree with Jezal more needs to be done for the common people. And imply more would be done discreetly. 

8 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Could be. But I think we would have heard of the shift in names no? I don’t know maybe, he did get his name relatively early in his career as a warrior?  

Maybe northerners aren't very imaginative and need something to hit them over the head before it catches on. Or maybe names are licensed and there was already a bloody in use and they needed an additional qualifier. Say one thing for Logen Ninefingers he respects trademark laws.

At the risk of reading a chapter at the end of the book that will change my opinion, I've still to read anything that a tv budget couldn't handle and dagoska has fallen. The siege in the book is even told from the perspective of someone who can't be actively involved and most if the action is described in letters to Sult. Granted this would be incredibly dull on screen but i don't think it costs much to show a catapult in action or to see dome seige engine scenes. Again Vikings has done this with their seige of Paris episodes and I'd hope the first law would land somewhere with a similar budget. The only other "big" scene is the union vs bethod battle - the defining element of which is mist. Perfect for being able to use 4 extras, 2 horses and an inventive sound department into creating the illusion of an epuc battle.

So far it still feels TV doable. I know it gets more difficult in book 3.

9 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Wouldn’t it be simpler and more effective to just flat out kill Hoff or just threaten him with it? And why exactly did Hoff see Ardree pregnancy  as a threat? I mean Jezal having a bastard. So long as the bastard isn’t shown too much favor it shouldn’t be an issue no?

I think Hoff was speaking for all the Closed Council, and probably for Bayaz, too. Bayaz wants the marriage with Terez to produce heirs.  A child by Ardee is an embrassment.  If Glokta can say she is his child, the embarrassment goes away.

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

I think Hoff was speaking for all the Closed Council, and probably for Bayaz, too. Bayaz wants the marriage with Terez to produce heirs.  A child by Ardee is an embrassment.  If Glokta can say she is his child, the embarrassment goes away.

I really don’t see the embarrassment. Powerful noblmen sirinng some bastards upon peasant women isn’t that scandalous.Its just one of those things one should expect to happen. Boys will be boys and all that you.

On 3/22/2019 at 10:39 AM, BigFatCoward said:

Going back to a previous discussion, I wonder what Logen was called before he got his finger cut off. Doesn't seem the sort of person that would have had to wait that long to get his name. 

The battle at Carleon where he lost his finger and earned his name probably occurred not too long after he joined up with Bethod. Prior to that, he was probably just referred to by his first name.

3 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I really don’t see the embarrassment. Powerful noblmen sirinng some bastards upon peasant women isn’t that scandalous.Its just one of those things one should expect to happen. Boys will be boys and all that you.

The Union is filled with disaffected nobles, many of whom are facing fines of 20% of their wealth/getting exiled for treason etc.  If Jezal dies, an illegitimate child potentially can be used as a puppet claimant to the Throne.

3 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

It becomes a lot different when they're gentry. Ardee had a reputation as social embarrassment, but she meets the minimum standard for an issue of her body to core a rebellion, or rather for Terez or her father taking steps to ensure that it can't, ever.

What is special about Logen, is that he seems to have been named twice.

Logen Ninefingers, which he got after his initial injury.

And The Bloody Nine, which I assume he got at a later time after everyone saw how viscous vicious he was.

Edit: The second one. I didn't mean to comment on Logen's consistency.

On 3/23/2019 at 5:09 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

When talking to Jezal about his jaw, Logen refers to it as a "naming wound" in the North and waggles his fingers in explanation. Which would imply, imo, that his name comes post injury

I mean wouldn’t that be obvious given the name  is “nine fingers” lol?

On 3/23/2019 at 7:48 AM, SeanF said:

The Union is filled with disaffected nobles, many of whom are facing fines of 20% of their wealth/getting exiled for treason etc.  If Jezal dies, an illegitimate child potentially can be used as a puppet claimant to the Throne.

And? If Jezal dies before siring a legitimate heir, with his wife, a bastard could be an easy remedy to a situation that could easily erupt into a civil-war.

Truth be told Bayaz could use the bastard just as a back up just in case.

Truth be told if this is the fear wouldn’t Glocka marrying Ardree simply increase that fear? I mean it could indicate plans to use the bastard should he want to dispose of Jezal and his wife and their children. I don’t think it’d hard for Glocka to convince people he wasn’t really the father of Ardree’s baby. Why not just have her married off to a moderately successful  merchant whose no noble lineage?

On 3/23/2019 at 7:49 AM, illrede said:

It becomes a lot different when they're gentry. Ardee had a reputation as social embarrassment, but she meets the minimum standard for an issue of her body to core a rebellion, or rather for Terez or her father taking steps to ensure that it can't, ever.

Does she? I thought the Wests were of peasant stock. 

Archived