The First Law- But a Second Reread (or Third, or Fourth or Fi.....) spoilers for First Law books

A True Kaniggit

16 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

What is special about Logen, is that he seems to have been named twice.

Logen Ninefingers, which he got after his initial injury.

And The Bloody Nine, which I assume he got at a later time after everyone saw how viscous vicious he was.

Edit: The second one. I didn't mean to comment on Logen's consistency.

Or he was called the bloody nine while the wound was still fresh enough to leak blood.

6 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I mean wouldn’t that be obvious given the name  is “nine fingers” lol?

Since there was discussion literally a couple of days ago regarding his naming i brought it up. 

The heroes is relentless, i find it quite tiring with the almost constant battles.  I really loved how the dogman cleared the skirmishers by the utilization of  a laugh and a few screams.

Its amazing how you can root for Calder after Forley the weakest. 

6 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

The heroes is relentless, i find it quite tiring with the almost constant battles.  I really loved how the dogman cleared the skirmishers by the utilization of  a laugh and a few screams.

Its amazing how you can root for Calder after Forley the weakest. 

The Heroes is my personal favorite for the series.

19 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Truth be told if this is the fear wouldn’t Glocka marrying Ardree simply increase that fear? I mean it could indicate plans to use the bastard should he want to dispose of Jezal and his wife and their children. I don’t think it’d hard for Glocka to convince people he wasn’t really the father of Ardree’s baby. Why not just have her married off to a moderately successful  merchant whose no noble lineage?

If Glotka marries her then it doesn't matter whether anyone is scared of whether the child might end up being a pretender to the throne, they're not going to dare to do anything about it for fear of crossing him.

8 hours ago, williamjm said:

If Glotka marries her then it doesn't matter whether anyone is scared of whether the child might end up being a pretender to the throne, they're not going to dare to do anything about it for fear of crossing him.

Couldn’t the same effect be had if he just says Ardree and a husband he’d choose for her are under his protection?

4 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Couldn’t the same effect be had if he just says Ardree and a husband he’d choose for her are under his protection?

Maybe Glokta liked Ardee and didn't want to marry her off to someone else? She's safer with Glokta than some minor noble anyway and Glokta would also want her to be treated well which is something that cannot be guaranteed if he marries her off to someone else. 

48 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Maybe Glokta liked Ardee and didn't want to marry her off to someone else? She's safer with Glokta than some minor noble anyway and Glokta would also want her to be treated well which is something that cannot be guaranteed if he marries her off to someone else. 

Ardee doesn't seem the 'marrying off' kind to me.

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

5 down. Starting red country.  So far I've most enjoyed BSC, it really is non stop adventure. 

I know it's been discussed/asked before but how old approximately is Logen in RC? 

BSC is the funniest, IMHO.

17 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

5 down. Starting red country.  So far I've most enjoyed BSC, it really is non stop adventure. 

I know it's been discussed/asked before but how old approximately is Logen in RC? 

Dang. I've been forcibly pacing myself so I don't finish too far in advance of the new book. 

Are you planning on reading them again slightly before September? Or just letting this reread ride?

1 hour ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Dang. I've been forcibly pacing myself so I don't finish too far in advance of the new book. 

Are you planning on reading them again slightly before September? Or just letting this reread ride?

i'm getting old but i think i will still be able to remember the detail come September!  i have no self control. 

20 hours ago, SeanF said:

BSC is the funniest, IMHO.

Yep, same opinion here. My personal favourite. I know people generally rate RC as the best but BSC just entertains me so much and has such a loveable bunch of awful characters. Plot ticks along at a good pace throughout, the settings are all very vibrant and there are enough ‘twists’ to keep it from being too boring or predictable. And i just love Morveer.

Always say this in respect of these books, but cannot recommend the audiobook enough.

26 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I know people generally rate RC as the best

Do they? I always thought the heroes was widely considered the best. 

For me it would be BSC, LAOK, The Heroes, BTAH, RC, TBI.

But I'm pretty sure that has changed and will change again. 

On 2/7/2019 at 12:23 PM, SeanF said:

Glokta's torture was prolonged, deliberate, and finely-calculated.  It was not the work of some brutal underling, but rather done by someone who knew quite a lot about him, and wished to destroy him psychologically.  

But, like Varys, he resolved to survive, in order to spite his captor.

I have to say I think Glocka’s genitals were mutilated but not removed completely. It would fit the pattern to the rest of his body. His teeth weren’t all removed but the ones that were made it torture to eat with. His feet weren’t cut up but the toes were removed which made walking around that much more painful. Likewise Glocka probably has a penis but it’s delicate to touch do to various torture being done to it.

On 3/26/2019 at 3:29 AM, Consigliere said:

Meh, he didn’t actually seem to keen on the idea initially. And a minimally successful merchant would be preferable than someone raised of the nobility. Also, he could probably guarantee Ardree won’t be mistreated through subtle hint of if she is he’ll drag the husband in a dark room and torture him. She’s as safe with Glocka’s explicit statement of her being under his protection. More so given it looks less like Glocka is using the child as a way to dethrone Jezal or his like should he want to. Obviously the child of Ardree would be far more loyal to her step-father, than a good friend of her parents or whatever.

You know I just realized Bayaz’s introduction is just perfect, Logan first impression of what the wizard is;

“A stocky blacksmith was trying to shoe a restless mare. An old, bald butcher in a stained apron had finished chopping up some animal and was washing his bloody forearms in a trough.”

It’s pretty good on foreshadowing on what Bayaz truly is-not a kindly old wizard, who’d guide our ragtag group of heroes-but a butcher, who does not mind getting his hands dirty.  I bet Logen would think his initial impression of Bayaz was also spot on by the end of the first trilogy.

12 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Meh, he didn’t actually seem to keen on the idea initially.

I thought it was rather obvious that Glokta was just nervous about popping the question and facing possible rejection rather than being reluctant. 

12 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

And a minimally successful merchant would be preferable than someone raised of the nobility. Also, he could probably guarantee Ardree won’t be mistreated through subtle hint of if she is he’ll drag the husband in a dark room and torture him. She’s as safe with Glocka’s explicit statement of her being under his protection. More so given it looks less like Glocka is using the child as a way to dethrone Jezal or his like should he want to. Obviously the child of Ardree would be far more loyal to her step-father, than a good friend of her parents or whatever.

If the concern is Ardee's child being used as a pawn then the child is safest with Glokta in Adua. He's the most powerful man in Adua with the might of the Inquisition behind him - nobody will even attempt to try anything. Glokta himself would never bother trying to use the child to usurp the throne because he knows that it would be utterly pointless (and fatal) -  he's gotten a glimpse behind the curtain and knows where the true power lies. 

10 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Glokta himself would never bother trying to use the child to usurp the throne because he knows that it would be utterly pointless (and fatal) -  he's gotten a glimpse behind the curtain and knows where the true power lies. 

Oh, but the powerful people in-story can’t read Glocka’s innermost thoughts and feelings, or know the true level of control Bayaz has over everything in the Union. I mean Duke Orso blames Glocka specifically for the union not sending aid-even that decision ultimately rests on Bayaz.    For all they know Glocka could very well decide to place “his” child to which he has raised on the throne should he find Jezal or his trueborn children  to be too much of a inconvenience. He probably would never-but people in-story can’t reasonably as sure.

f the concern is Ardee's child being used as a pawn then the child is safest with Glokta in Adua. He's the most powerful man in Adua with the might of the Inquisition behind him - nobody will even attempt to try anything. 

The child is safest if Glocka prounqnces it under his protection marriage or no. 

I thought it was rather obvious that Glokta was just nervous about popping the question and facing possible rejection rather than being reluctant. 

Meh, I think we’re meant to think this was literally the best thing Glocka could come up with. Not that it’s something he wants althogther. I don’t think he desired Ardree to even live with him due to the fact  when he’s just a poor wretch when he gets up in the morning. 

Archived