US Politics: Ready, Set, Announce! Bookering the Odds

Fragile Bird

3 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

If I am speeding that is an objective fact, it doesn't require anyone's perception or interpretation.

If X is offended by Y, that is a subjective standard, always changing, maybe even always different depending on the specific individual.  

You said that people shouldn't be punished if they didn't know what they did was wrong. If I turn from a street that has a 50 speed limit onto a street with a 30 speed limit and didn't see a sign, why should I be punished?

But the issue is being deliberately clueless. I didn't know blackface/ethnic parties/serving watermelon on MLK day was wrong or offensive! Don't punish me!

1.  I really don't like the gender policing going on here.  FB, you and I agree on lots of things, and also disagree about a lot of things, and it has nothing to do with either of our genders.  Cas, I don't know you, but I assume the same.  This is a US politics debate and not a "no true Scotsman."

2.  Cas, I hear where you are coming from, but I'd like to understand a bit more context.  E.g., what is in the University's Code of Conduct?  Where I went, in the late 1990s, such a party would have been against the Code of Conduct and in fact, when something like that did happen, discipline was rightly administered.

Just now, Cas Stark said:

How so?  If I am a man you say I am a sexist, if I'm a woman you say I'm a woman who hates other women.  You use my gender against me either way.

Hey, if you are the one pretending to be female that's your problem. I don't hide my sex.

And why do so many guys pretend to be women on Pokemon go, eh?

Just now, Fragile Bird said:

Hey, if you are the one pretending to be female that's your problem. I don't hide my sex.

And why do so many guys pretend to be women on Pokemon go, eh?

Wow.  Ah you guy's never disappoint, it always ends in some kind of personal attack, now I'm a man pretending to be a woman.  What the fuck? Okay, I'm out.  Carry on with the New Puritanism. 

1 minute ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

1.  I really don't like the gender policing going on here.  FB, you and I agree on lots of things, and also disagree about a lot of things, and it has nothing to do with either of our genders.  Cas, I don't know you, but I assume the same.  This is a US politics debate and not a "no true Scotsman."

When I see the weasel words about a woman who has been a top notch professor move up in the world being called a liar, a hypocrite and everything else Cas called Warren, yes, that's my reaction. I am older than you and every step of the way in my career men said women got the jobs by using their sex or lying about their credentials or because they were women. 'You can't prove she didn't get those jobs because she said Native American!' is what Cas said. I call it out when I see it, the world is better now but there are a lot of dinosaur attitudes even among the young. "I'm not a feminist" makes me grate my teeth, for example, not because I think every woman has to be a feminist because of the inherent dismissal of every fight that had to be fought for a 100 years and more.

47 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Foolish.

Can you instead, cleverly, provide a search term? as whomever it may or may not have been? especially as I'm not the only one who cannot recall what the forum handle was, if indeed there was someone here who did or did not work for her. These things don't much register.

42 minutes ago, Guy Kilmore said:

He was saying it was him that worked with Klobuchar or is at least familiar with her campaign staff.  Tywin is the one. 

Hi Gogo is the name of the clip, referencing the character from Kill Bill, who is waving and saying "Hi".

Ding ding ding!

Also, it’s a shame that Gogo’s fate was predicted by Kang and Kodos. Boards and nails man, dangerous stuff.

8 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Wow.  Ah you guy's never disappoint, it always ends in some kind of personal attack, now I'm a man pretending to be a woman.  What the fuck? Okay, I'm out.  Carry on with the New Puritanism. 

Hey, you're the one who said I was assuming you were a man, which, uh, I take as you telling me I'm wrong in my response because actually you're a woman. Simple.

And it always ends with "I'm outta here!" when the fish rises to the bait, lol.

So do I change my name to Fragile Guppy?

40 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

No.  I would seek to explain the reasons why X group was offended and attempt to use it as a learning experience for everyone.  Then, if they continued the behavior after having been informed of it's offensiveness, that would be the time for punishment.

Which is exactly what happened. They had to meet with some Latino studies professors and some Latino student groups then explain to the Administration why what they did was wrong. The student government stripped them of their party privileges for a few months, which basically just means only members of the frat could be in the frat on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights for the rest of the semester.

9 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

When I see the weasel words about a woman who has been a top notch professor move up in the world being called a liar, a hypocrite and everything else Cas called Warren, yes, that's my reaction. I am older than you and every step of the way in my career men said women got the jobs by using their sex or lying about their credentials or because they were women. 'You can't prove she didn't get those jobs because she said Native American!' is what Cas said. I call it out when I see it, the world is better now but there are a lot of dinosaur attitudes even among the young. "I'm not a feminist" makes me grate my teeth, for example, not because I think every woman has to be a feminist because of the inherent dismissal of every fight that had to be fought for a 100 years and more.

But she did lie, she at least mislead.  I don’t know what the rest of your post actually has to do with that.  I’m not saying she made a career out of lying, I think she’s a smart and capable person overall, but she is going to catch shit about the Native American thing and she 100% brought it on herself.  Being a woman doesn’t have anything to do with it.

Archived