US Politics: Ready, Set, Announce! Bookering the Odds

Fragile Bird

I liked earlier when Pelosi seemed to be reading from some big..things, I don't even know how to describe what those were.  Pelosi should have came out with a newspaper.  Like Norm MacDonald.

I hate watching SOTU. It's so cringey. In particular because I loathe DT and the sound of his voice, but I didn't really like it with previous Presidents either. All the stupid grandstanding standing ovations and the same old talking points. The weird throne-things behind the President. Also gives everyone a chance to be all shocked that Trump can give a pre-written speech ("He's so presidential!" gag).

Trump's Treasury Department is readying plans to drag the expected Democratic request for Trump’s past tax filings, which he has closely guarded, into a quagmire of arcane legal arguments.

At the same time, officials intend to publicly cast the request as a nakedly partisan exercise. The two-pronged scheme was developed by a handful of top political appointees and lawyers inside the department — with the ultimate goal of keeping the president’s past returns private, according to four people familiar with the administration’s approach.

The strategy will hinge on an argument that politically motivated Democrats will inevitably leak Trump’s tax information — a felony in and of itself — if the IRS hands over the documents. So because Democrats can’t be trusted to keep the documents private, they shouldn’t get them in the first place, officials will insist. Treasury officials have been waiting since early January for a top Democrat to make the request.

“What happens if the Treasury secretary just doesn’t answer or sends back a note saying we refuse to do what you are saying?” said George Yin, a former chief of staff on the House Joint Committee on Taxation, one of the three congressional committees involved in major tax issues on Capitol Hill. “To my knowledge, that has never happened. … We are essentially in uncharted territory if he refuses.”

The plan to keep Trump’s taxes hidden
The Trump administration wants to drag an expected Democratic request for the president’s tax returns into a quagmire of arcane legal arguments.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/02/05/trump-tax-returns-congress-strategy-1145767

On what would have been the 24th birthday of Trayvon Martin ― the unarmed Florida teenager who was shot and killed by George Zimmerman in 2012, sparking mass protests and outrage ― Harris spoke of “an America where no mother or father has to teach their son that people may stop him or kill him because of the color of his skin ― and where no parent has to send their child to school with a bulletproof backpack.”

Harris deliberately set herself apart from the president, predicting that Trump would deliver a speech Tuesday night that “seeks to score political points by driving us apart.”

Kamala Harris Pushes Racial And Economic Justice Ahead Of State Of The Union
The presidential hopeful delivered remarks of her own just an hour before President Donald Trump’s address.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/kamala-harris-state-of-the-union_us_5c5a0ac8e4b0871047587c34

Archived