Is Braavos impregnable?

1 hour ago, Back door hodor said:

Where would you imagine this channel to be?

They should gather supplies in one of those islands near Braavos, how far can they be? half a day away?... If the enemy doesn't want fire from both sides, is better to give free pass to Lorathi ships...

You need Lorath on your side if you want to attack Braavos... Lorath is not specially strong or rich, but has been ally of Braavos in the past... I think they can be a pain in the ass...

It has to be a big alliance so they can afford to attack Braavos... to many people has to be interested in a change of government there... to many people has to look at the other side while you attack Braavos.

but ok... can the city be taken...? yes it can...

again, at what cost? how many men do you lose when a ship sinks?

Why Targaryens didn't conquer Dorne? It isn't impossible, but... at what cost?

1 hour ago, MushroomIsNoFool said:

They should gather supplies in one of those islands near Braavos, how far can they be? half a day away?... If the enemy doesn't want fire from both sides, is better to give free pass to Lorathi ships...

You need Lorath on your side if you want to attack Braavos... Lorath is not specially strong or rich, but has been ally of Braavos in the past... I think they can be a pain in the ass...

It has to be a big alliance so they can afford to attack Braavos... to many people has to be interested in a change of government there... to many people has to look at the other side while you attack Braavos.

but ok... can the city be taken...? yes it can...

again, at what cost? how many men do you lose when a ship sinks?

Why Targaryens didn't conquer Dorne? It isn't impossible, but... at what cost?

Agreed, without dragons, inside help or a natural disaster it would be outrageously expensive, but not impossible. 

Jehearys I considered war with Bravos over the matter of some stolen dragon eggs, considered it enough that he sent Barth to threaten the Sealord, while the iron throne owed a considerable sum to the Iron Bank. Its seems he either trusted the IB not to take sides, or considered it worth the risk.

Interestingly, the IB provided a peaceful resolution to this, by forgiving a large part of the Iron Thrones debt, so this could be a real example the proves against the point I'm arguing however lol, oh well.

9 hours ago, Back door hodor said:

Agreed, without dragons, inside help or a natural disaster it would be outrageously expensive, but not impossible. 

Jehearys I considered war with Bravos over the matter of some stolen dragon eggs, considered it enough that he sent Barth to threaten the Sealord, while the iron throne owed a considerable sum to the Iron Bank. Its seems he either trusted the IB not to take sides, or considered it worth the risk.

Interestingly, the IB provided a peaceful resolution to this, by forgiving a large part of the Iron Thrones debt, so this could be a real example the proves against the point I'm arguing however lol, oh well.

Well... yeah...

If the Sealord's bargaining power is also on the table then...

To the specific question "is Braavos impregnable?" In the strict military way... no it's not... there will always be a way... even without Dragons...

To the question "Can a campaing against Braavos prosper?" I still think, only with Dragons... Without them, there's so much you need to invest, there's so much to bring into jeopardy, so much people you need to be on your side...

16 hours ago, MushroomIsNoFool said:

Well... yeah...

If the Sealord's bargaining power is also on the table then...

To the specific question "is Braavos impregnable?" In the strict military way... no it's not... there will always be a way... even without Dragons...

To the question "Can a campaing against Braavos prosper?" I still think, only with Dragons... Without them, there's so much you need to invest, there's so much to bring into jeopardy, so much people you need to be on your side...

Yea agreed, I said this in a reply to someone else(I think), and it's the only other thing I wanna add, Cruz honestly I feel like we are talking in circles at this point, from a purely literary, non military analysis, usually, whenever something is written to be unconquerable/invincible/indestructible, its usually because it is going to be conquered/killed or destroyed.

Just wanted to add that I meant no offense by the talking in circles comment, I throughly enjoyed out discussion and look forward to seeing you around the forums.

Archived