Who can assume being lord commander of the kingsguard after Jaime?

norwaywolf123

Are you talking about Tommen's Kingsguard? If so I honestly don't see them living long enough to pick a new Lord Commander. I think Aegon will take the throne, even if its only for a little while, and the only person we know on his Kingsguard is Rolly Duckfield, and I doubt Aegon will name him Lord Commander. 

I agree, Jaime will be Lord Commander once Cersei's children are dead or displaced. Rolly seems the most likely, but there are some others that seem likely (there's a nice theory that Daemon Sand will join Aegon's Kingsguard). None of the current pro-Tommen lot seem too good apart from Loras, who's currently injured from boiling oil anyway.

4 hours ago, Euron III Greyjoy said:

Are you talking about Tommen's Kingsguard?

yes

52 minutes ago, Vaith said:

I agree, Jaime will be Lord Commander once Cersei's children are dead or displaced. Rolly seems the most likely, but there are some others that seem likely (there's a nice theory that Daemon Sand will join Aegon's Kingsguard). None of the current pro-Tommen lot seem too good apart from Loras, who's currently injured from boiling oil anyway.

Balon Swann seemed ok.

Nice idea, I don't see the question of the next LC asked often - considering Jaime's current AWOL status, as well as he and his sister being on frosty terms, it seems likely that a new Lord Commander will be chosen soon. The question is, will it be Cersei's regime or Aegon's who makes the choice?

In terms of Cersei choosing; one has to factor in how her already high level paranoia will be increased by the deaths of Kevan and Pycelle. With no Jaime around to protect her and Tommen - and the mutilated "Goldenhand" being looked upon with a certain disgust/disappointment by his sister - it's easy to picture the Queen Regent rashly selecting a new leader of the White Cloaks.

The question then arises; who exactly would she be able to put her "trust" in? If we factor in Cersei's walk of shame, the current hold over KL that the Sparrows have, Tyrell power plays and the lack of notable knights who are in her pocket, the Queen should have a tough choice on her hands.

Making Robert Strong the leader of the Kingsguard would no doubt cause all sorts of commotion amongst the other White Swords, considering the hulking knight doesn't seem to speak. Not only that, think of the outrage that would be caused amongst the Sparrows and smallfolk should they learn that some ungodly zombie held the historic post associated with heroes like Barristan the Bold and the Dragonknight. Then again, such a choice would be fun reading, and play well into Cersei's descent from grace.

In Aegon's case, Duck, being the only member of the seems like the only real choice at this point. Rolly's "exceedingly average" nature and fighting abilities don't really sound like LC material, then again, how much may the big Reachman have been holding back when Tyrion watched the training session with Aegon? 

Depending on who Aegon has as his advisers if/when he sits the throne, one would think the Dragon's cause might be advanced by having a Lord Commander with some kind of name recognition. The small folk would probably be quite pleased if Aegon were to choose someone like Garlan Tyrell or his brother the Knight of Flowers, with such choices also having their own political benefit. On the flip side, how many "heroic celebrity knights" are there currently near King's Landing who the Young Griff regime would trust with Aegon's welfare? The choice of KG members may come down to people who prove themselves in whatever battles and skirmishes are fought on behalf of Rhaegar's son. 

Archived