Aerys II - 100 Leagues Beyond the Wall

Legitimate_Bastard

In the Wiki, under 'Wars of Conquest' there appears this.

There are no known attempts by Aegon's family to conquer beyond the Wall. Generations later, King Aerys II Targaryen considered claiming all land one hundred leagues north of the Wall, however.[3]

The reference points to:

The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aerys II.

I can't find this anywhere. 

Is this an error in the Wiki? 

Someone please assist.

In 264 AC, a visit to King's Landing by Lord Rickard Stark of Winterfell awakened his interest in the North, and he hatched a plan to build a new Wall a hundred leagues north of the existing one and claim all the lands between. 

That was one "project" among several others. He also wanted to build a white city and entirely of marble. He wanted to build a larger fleet after a dispute with the Iron Bank and attack Braavos. He wanted to make the Dornish desert bloom by digging underground canals and bringing water to from the rainwood. 

23 minutes ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

In 264 AC, a visit to King's Landing by Lord Rickard Stark of Winterfell awakened his interest in the North, and he hatched a plan to build a new Wall a hundred leagues north of the existing one and claim all the lands between. 

That was one "project" among several others. He also wanted to build a white city and entirely of marble. He wanted to build a larger fleet after a dispute with the Iron Bank and attack Braavos. He wanted to make the Dornish desert bloom by digging underground canals and bringing water to from the rainwood. 

Thank you!

All the maps of Beyond the Wall I can find are in KM. The conversion to leagues I found can only do nautical. It comes out around 555 km. That would put this theoretical wall around the same line as the headwaters of the Milkwater? I wonder if he had consultation with the NW or if this was an arbitrary number aimed at controlling the territory where the most Wildlings could potentially be raised?

On one of the rare Targaryen flights to the North, Good Queen Alyssane observed that her dragon (Silverwing?) refused to fly over the Wall. Repeatedly. We may assume that if it's a place dragons will not go, Targaryens aren't interested, either. By the time of Aerys II, all the dragons had been dead for a century, so that rule was no longer relevant. Or, possibly, even remembered.

It might be worthwhile at some point to ponder what made people think Aerys II was "mad." If it was excessively paranoid behavior, well, after Duskendale, it would be hard to fault the poor guy. (For any female Targaryen, "madness" is simply acting the way a man would under the same circumstances, or showing anger or being judgemental. Fems get no slack.) I suspect we will learn more when The Winds of Winter comes out. George RR has said that the backstory of Rhaegar, Lyanna, and the rest will be finally revealed.

Archived