Greyscale spreading?

Vaedys Targaryen

This is a very simple question about Greyscale and how it spreads: We know that a simple touch can spread the disease, but does it spread if you touch an uninfected area? Say if a person is infected in their right hand, can you still touch the person everywhere else and still not catch the disease?

29 minutes ago, Vaedys Targaryen said:

This is a very simple question about Greyscale and how it spreads: We know that a simple touch can spread the disease, but does it spread if you touch an uninfected area? Say if a person is infected in their right hand, can you still touch the person everywhere else and still not catch the disease?

I wouldn’t want to find out...  Perhaps a child could be touched? How else was Shireen cured?

I have to be careful not to confuse Greyscale and Grey Plague. The latter seems to be a death sentence, touching not advised.

Survivors of greyscale are immune to the grey plague, I am pretty sure.

Check the wiki.

13 hours ago, Vaedys Targaryen said:

There's a difference between greyscale and the grey plague. Greyscale usually only affects children and is not always fatal if treated in time. Grey plague affects everyone and is nearly always fatal. Nearly half of Oldtown was wiped out by grey plague some 70 years before the current story.

So if we are talking about Shireen Baratheon, that's greyscale. But Jon Connington likely has the grey plague, which he mostly likely caught when fighting the stone men at Chroyane. The thing is, if you read that battle, the only person who touches a stone man is Tyrion, who is then dragged overboard and sucks in a lungful of water that is supposedly laced with the disease. JonCon cuts off the arm of one Stoneman and then pulls Tyrion out of the water, and Lemore forces the water from his lungs, although we don't know if she gave him the kiss of life or not.

So why JonCon would be the only one to contract grey plague from all this is anyone's guess.

3 hours ago, John Suburbs said:

The thing is, if you read that battle, the only person who touches a stone man is Tyrion, who is then dragged overboard and sucks in a lungful of water that is supposedly laced with the disease. JonCon cuts off the arm of one Stoneman and then pulls Tyrion out of the water, and Lemore forces the water from his lungs, although we don't know if she gave him the kiss of life or not.

So why JonCon would be the only one to contract grey plague from all this is anyone's guess.

I never paid attention to that! 

Damn!

I guess it may be like real life - sometimes you just get lucky.

1 hour ago, John Suburbs said:

Or, there is a valid reason why JonCon contracted the disease and Tyrion did not. Perhaps something in his heritage?

Couple of quotes compare him to a gargoyle LOL. I will keep looking for more connections.

Tyrion Lannister was sitting on the ledge above the door to the Great Hall, looking for all the world like a gargoyle.

AGOT - Jon I

Motionless as a gargoyle, Tyrion Lannister hunched on one knee atop a merlon. 

ACOK - Tyrion XIII

10 minutes ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

Couple of quotes compare him to a gargoyle LOL. I will keep looking for more connections.

Lol, the gargoyle. Hadn't thought of that. I was thinking more along the lines of Targaryen heritage, which may or may not afford some protection against disease.

Archived