The Talented Mr. Mallory

kairparavel

This is wild (and disturbing). Author of The Woman in the Window is an accomplished liar.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/02/11/a-suspense-novelists-trail-of-deceptions

Several former colleagues of Mallory’s who were interviewed for this article recalled feeling deeply unnerved by him. One, in London, said, “He exploited people who were sweet-natured.” A colleague at William Morrow told friends, “There’s this guy in my office who’s got a ‘Talented Mr. Ripley’ thing going on.” In 2013, Sophie Hannah, the esteemed British crime-fiction writer, whose work includes the sanctioned continuation of Agatha Christie’s series of detective novels, was one of Mallory’s authors; she came to distrust accounts that he had given about being gravely ill.

I recently called a senior editor at a New York publishing company to discuss the experience of working with Mallory. “My God,” the editor said, with a laugh. “I knew I’d get this call. I didn’t know if it would be you or the F.B.I.”

Yeah, that was almost like a little novella itself.  I enjoyed it.  Bit of a curve ball at the end.

Spoiler

He’s got a genuine diagnosis of bipolar 2.  The journo seems to think this doesn’t fully explain his weird behaviour but I’m not sure I agree.  It could certainly explain why he did it even if it doesn’t totally excuse it.

37 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Have been following this on Twitter and it's shocking to me how someone can get away with this much lying and keep getting work and shit.  Im half tempted to start applying for jobs that require a degree and just say I have one 

I know someone who does that and it works more then you would think. :/

There's a dude who's been round many breweries in the US, claiming to be a German trained master brewer. Nobody called his refs. People kept employing him. He kept getting breweries to buy new kit, skimming off funds, blaming fuck ups on other staff, then disappearing. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/14/books/dan-mallory-plagiarism.html

Mr. Mallory — who was recently the subject of an exposé in The New Yorkerthat detailed his past as a habitual liar who feigned fatal illnesses and fabricated a tragic family history — has acknowledged that the plot of his novel, which became a best seller, owes a debt to several famous works, including Alfred Hitchcock’s “Rear Window,” Gillian Flynn’s “Gone Girl” and Paula Hawkins’s blockbuster thriller, “The Girl on the Train.”

“The Woman in the Window” is also strikingly similar to a novel by Sarah A. Denzil, “Saving April,” which was published in March 2016, several months before Mr. Mallory sold his novel to his then-employer, William Morrow.

Archived