Would Robert be a better man if he didn't marry Cersei or vice versa?

Angel Eyes

Whose to say Lyanna would have been a better wife for Robert?  Lyanna had the potential to wreck the kingdom as badly as Cersei and Jaime did.   Robert's biggest sin was failing to keep the Starks and the Lannisters under control.  He failed because he was too close to these families.  

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Arthur Peres said:

The King was a pyromancer lunatic and his son was a self righteous prick that got what he deserved by Robert.

Brandon's family was plotting against the king.  They deserved to get punished for what they were doing.  Aerys had every right to kill Rickard and Brandon.  

Just now, Skahaz mo Kandaq said:

Brandon's family was plotting against the king.  They deserved to get punished for what they were doing.  Aerys had every right to kill Rickard and Brandon.  

No they werent plotting anything..

No they didn't deserve anything they were the offended party on the issue.

No Aerys didn't had the right and got deposed for it.

No they werent plotting anything..

No they didn't deserve anything they were the offended party on the issue.

No Aerys didn't had the right and got deposed for it.

Brandon was dickhead who deserved what he got from Aerys.  Jon Arryn should have executed Robert and Ned because his king ordered him to.  I can't stand the Starks so you and me are not going to agree on this.  

Just now, Skahaz mo Kandaq said:

Brandon was dickhead who deserved what he got from Aerys.  Jon Arryn should have executed Robert and Ned because his king ordered him to.  I can't stand the Starks so you and me are not going to agree on this.  

sure.

because you're taking the side of the guy literally called "the Mad" and you think cruel executions without trial or evidence based on pure paranoia is the right side of story....

On 5/12/2019 at 9:04 PM, Damsel in Distress said:

Whose to say Lyanna would have been a better wife for Robert?  Lyanna had the potential to wreck the kingdom as badly as Cersei and Jaime did.   Robert's biggest sin was failing to keep the Starks and the Lannisters under control.  He failed because he was too close to these families.  

I doubt very much that Lyanna would go out of her way to abort all of Robert's sons and daughters while trying to pass bastards as legit heirs and jeopardize the whole sucession crises and starting a civil war.

Robert being miserable was the least problem with the Cersei's issue.

sure.

because you're taking the side of the guy literally called "the Mad" and you think cruel executions without trial or evidence based on pure paranoia is the right side of story....

Brandon was witnessed in the act of threatening to harm the Targaryens.  That is a crime punishable by death.  Obviously, Rickard was lured to KL because the king believed he was plotting.  That is all the evidence needed for the time.  

Honestly Robert was a crap husband anyways. Cersei was probably the worst fit for him since she didn't have the cunning to bend his will and wasn't docile enough to not combat and agitate him. He'd actually have done best if he married someone like Dany who could be alluring enough to keep him interested yet was able to bend him the way she bent Drogo. 

Robert was always going to be a bad husband, not necessarily because he couldn't stay faithful, but because he was selfish and irresponsible. He did not know how to give, once he didn't have any more interest in his mistresses,he abandoned them and his children. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/12/2019 at 1:19 PM, BRANDON GREYSTARK said:

Why all the Brandon Stark hate ?

Judgement based on data, not hate. Hate is a word thrown around far too easily, and inaccurately, these days.

Ned himself thinks Brandon's own character was a significant factor in his fate.

"It has a name, does it?" Her father sighed. "Ah, Arya. You have a wildness in you, child. 'The wolf blood,' my father used to call it. Lyanna had a touch of it, and my brother Brandon more than a touch. It brought them both to an early grave." 

Hoster Tully called Brandon a gallant fool. 

"He was on his way to Riverrun when . . ." Strange, how telling it still made her throat grow tight, after all these years. ". . . when he heard about Lyanna, and went to King's Landing instead. It was a rash thing to do." She remembered how her own father had raged when the news had been brought to Riverrun. The gallant fool, was what he called Brandon.

Plus we have Lady Dustin's memories and analysis, of Brandon taking what he wanted, deflowering a noble maiden, liking a 'bloody sword', etc.

Its not hate to analyse the data, listen to the characters who knew him, and come up with the conclusion that Brandon Stark, son of Rickard Stark, was ... not someone worthy of a great deal of respect. Possibly even something of an asshole.
Feeling something for him (hate is a feeling, not a judgement) doesn't come in to it.

On 5/27/2019 at 10:16 AM, lancerman said:

Honestly Robert was a crap husband anyways. Cersei was probably the worst fit for him since she didn't have the cunning to bend his will and wasn't docile enough to not combat and agitate him. He'd actually have done best if he married someone like Dany who could be alluring enough to keep him interested yet was able to bend him the way she bent Drogo. 

I agree, Cersei was the worst fit. I think if Robert had married a classic crafty and alluring Dornish highborn, it might actually work out.

On 5/26/2019 at 8:12 PM, Skahaz mo Kandaq said:

Prove it.

Archived