A Faithful Knight in Winterfell

Melifeather

Hey guys - I apologize for my angry outbursts. Once I get upset, everything little thing seems to irritate me, and that's not right. I shouldn't take it out on everyone. If the mods decide to leave this thread open I'll make a better effort to remain civil. 

2 hours ago, Feather Crystal said:

Since a Lord is above a knight in society, Rickard wouldn't have taken that title, while Brandon was the heir - a position that was also likely higher than a knight.

For Rickard, yes he would be Lord Rickard or Lord Stark, but Brandon would be Ser Brandon until he ascended the title of Lord of Winterfell for himself. For an example, look in the appendices ( I used ASoS) at the Tyrells and the Tullys.

Willas Tyrell is listed as: "Willas, their eldest son, heir to Highgarden", since because of his disability, he has not been knighted (which is silly because, historically, they would have knighted him anyway out of courtesy for his station, but that's another topic).

But, Edmure Tully is listed as: "Ser Edmure, his only son, heir to Riverrun", since a knighthood is the highest title he has earned/inherited to that point. Underlings may address him as "m'lord" out of courtesy, but his peers would call him Ser Edmure until he took up the mantle of lordship.

2 hours ago, Three-Fingered Pete said:

For Rickard, yes he would be Lord Rickard or Lord Stark, but Brandon would be Ser Brandon until he ascended the title of Lord of Winterfell for himself. For an example, look in the appendices ( I used ASoS) at the Tyrells and the Tullys.

Willas Tyrell is listed as: "Willas, their eldest son, heir to Highgarden", since because of his disability, he has not been knighted (which is silly because, historically, they would have knighted him anyway out of courtesy for his station, but that's another topic).

But, Edmure Tully is listed as: "Ser Edmure, his only son, heir to Riverrun", since a knighthood is the highest title he has earned/inherited to that point. Underlings may address him as "m'lord" out of courtesy, but his peers would call him Ser Edmure until he took up the mantle of lordship.

You've got a solid point there. Your post (along with some others) have persuaded me to discard the conversion to the Faith aspect, but I continue to cling to the idea that Rickard and Brandon were knights. Not anointed knights, but more of an achievement after completing the militant training. 

3 hours ago, Feather Crystal said:

You've got a solid point there. Your post (along with some others) have persuaded me to discard the conversion to the Faith aspect, but I continue to cling to the idea that Rickard and Brandon were knights. Not anointed knights, but more of an achievement after completing the militant training. 

Really? I actually managed to settle a discussion on these boards? Well, it looks like it's time to update my resume because I consider that quite an accomplishment! :cool4:

1 hour ago, Three-Fingered Pete said:

Really? I actually managed to settle a discussion on these boards? Well, it looks like it's time to update my resume because I consider that quite an accomplishment! :cool4:

I’d like to think I’m open minded. :blushing: 

I wouldn’t say this knight business is completely settled though, because I feel like it was the impetus that brought Brandon, Ned, Lyanna, and Benjen to the tourney. 

On 2/12/2019 at 3:56 PM, Feather Crystal said:

I've presented my theory and have nothing further to add. This discussion has deteriorated and I see no reason to continue. I am going to ask to lock this discussion. Thank you everyone for reading and for your contributions.

It probably should be locked cause almost everything that you have asserted in this thread has no basis in fact/has no textual evidence.  

I mean, you decided that since Rickard asked for trial by combat that he must be a knight who is turning away from the old gods.  It's like 2+2=5.

12 hours ago, Feather Crystal said:

I’d like to think I’m open minded. :blushing: 

I wouldn’t say this knight business is completely settled though, because I feel like it was the impetus that brought Brandon, Ned, Lyanna, and Benjen to the tourney. 

You're fine. Sometimes it takes more than one perspective to tease out the truth of things. I believe that this is one of the major themes of the story and its subsequent structure.

Archived