Up in Smoke: Drug Legalization and Dealing

Martell Spy

13 minutes ago, S John said:

Ha!  I mean, I like craft beer as much as the next guy but I still like a red label Budweiser or a Coors Original from time to time.  I don’t really care for the light versions of either but I will sometimes go on a kick with one of those two, especially if the beer is ice cold and it’s summer in Texas.  There’s two Austin area Pilsners I drink a lot in the summer and love both of them (Pearl Snap and Hans’ Pils), but I don’t mind revisiting a Budweiser or Coors now and then.  Never have been a Miller guy, though.  

There’s a bar near my old office I still go to sometimes in the summer where there’s a trough of crushed ice running along the length of the bar for folks to put their beer in as they drink it.   They don’t sell anything but bottles of American (Bud, Coors) and Texas (Shiner and Lone Star) big brands.  When it’s 104 in July, no beer on the planet can beat a perpetually ice cold version of any one of those.  That’s why I can never fully renounce the Buds of the world, they have their place.

I'm not here to judge, but since college, I haven't touched that kind of stuff. Being out in the world refined my beer palate. There are only two reasons I'm drinking beer like that: I'm at a family member's place and forgot to bring beer as a"gift" or if I'm in a situation in which shotgunning beers is not only appropriate, but expected. 

@Triskele, this seems as good a thread as any to mention that at work today (I work at a ski Mt in Massachusetts) a snowboarder was getting on my lift and his board's top sheet was weed leaves, and then a picture of your avatar that he'd printed out and laminated in there himself.  

Have been keeping my phone at the ready for a pic in case he rolls by again.

19 hours ago, Triskele said:

Dude, I forget it this was in chat or in threads or both, but I recall this coming up in the past and me hyping IPA and you being consistent with this.  I have had a total evolution on this and now virtually never go for the IPA.  I don't know if I was possessed before or am possessed now, but my palette totally changed.  All I want now is clean, dry pilsner or lager and just about nothing else, and IPA, even the less hoppy ones, are too hoppy for me.  

ETA:  Shiner Bock will do

Possibly both!  You are absolutely right, I have held an anti-IPA stance for years.  Well, not nexesserily anti, I think they have their place, but I think the market in general is over saturated with them and that it’s an overrated style and I’ve just always kind of lamented that IPA seemed to be the primary style that the American craft beer explosion was based around.  The best thing they’ve got going for them is the above average abv.  I think most of them are mediocre at best.   

That said, I have mellowed on my stance in recent years for a couple of reasons.  Primarily because I have found a few that I genuinely like that don’t just try to shove a bag of hops down your throat.  I think a lot of the deal with IPA for a while there was to make them as hoppy as possible and to me this is kinda akin to making the hottest possible hot sauce.  Ie, that’s cool and all, but I want to taste my actual food and just as importantly I don’t want to have a stroke or shit lava for the next few days.  Same with overly hopped beer, I think it misses the point.

A secondary factor that’s mellowed me out on my anti-IPA evangelism is living in Texas where the local crafts are much more commonly Pilsners, Lagers, Kolsh, etc, things that tend to fit the hot climate.  And I’m with you on those styles pretty much being my primary zone.  Just seems like a lot of places I’d go before moving here half the taps at a bar would be IPA and I just didn’t get the craze.  It could also be that there’s just so much craft beer out there now that even if we are over saturated with IPA there’s a lot of others to choose from too.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Also, that's from Grandma's Boy, right? 

I don't think so.  Can't remember any part where the monkey is about to shoot anybody.  The monkey drives, and it's hilarious, but there's nothing like that.  

14 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

@Triskele, this seems as good a thread as any to mention that at work today (I work at a ski Mt in Massachusetts) a snowboarder was getting on my lift and his board's top sheet was weed leaves, and then a picture of your avatar that he'd printed out and laminated in there himself.  

Have been keeping my phone at the ready for a pic in case he rolls by again.

It also had a caption in impact font "guns don't kill people, monkeys do"

Apes! Monkeys are further down the evolutionary ladder...just above humans.

8 hours ago, Triskele said:

Listen, bro.  He doesn't have time for your pedantry.  He's on the mountain and about to taste death, live life. 

But we in the ape community to appreciate your pedantry.  

Pedantry implies he's correct, but he's not since there is no evolutionary ladder. So just to make this clear, you're a fucking monkey mate.

On 2/15/2019 at 6:59 PM, DMC said:

I don't think so.  Can't remember any part where the monkey is about to shoot anybody.  The monkey drives, and it's hilarious, but there's nothing like that.  

You're right. On second thought the monkey knew martial arts, but didn't have a gun. 

Idk if the movie has aged well, but I laughed harder on my first viewing of it than any other movie I can think of. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Idk if the movie has aged well, but I laughed harder on my first viewing of it than any other movie I can think of. 

Don't think I've seen it in a few years now but I always enjoyed it on rewatch.

Archived