Stand beside her dragon

Clegane'sPup

First read of the saga I had to make a cheat sheet to keep up with the multiple character names --- Crowsfood (Mors) ,  Whoresbane (Hothor) , Crows Eye (Euron), Damphiar (Aeron)  --- I even mixed up Jhaqo and Jhogo and had to add them to the cheat sheet.

In the back of my mind there is a little gremlin that pops up when thinking about Dany's last DwD chapter.

When Khal Jhaqo comes upon Dany her dragon is full, fat and happy.  Dany goes to stand beside her dragon. Half a hundred Dotraki approach.

A Dance with Dragons - Daenerys      As the western sky turned the color of a blood bruise, she heard the sound of approaching horses. Dany rose, wiped her hands on her ragged undertunic, and went to stand beside her dragon.   That was how Khal Jhaqo found her, when half a hundred mounted warriors emerged from the drifting smoke./

The Dotraki are supposedly excellent bowmen. Stay with me while I make a comment about Drogon and Tyrion.

Drogon is slightly larger than a horse. Not the big computer generated image.

Tyrion via his book knowledge is under the impression that the best way to kill a dragon is an arrow through the eye.

A Dance with Dragons - Tyrion XI    If anyone had thought to ask him, Tyrion could have told them not to bother. Unless one of those long iron scorpion bolts chanced to find an eye, the queen's pet monster was not like to be brought down by such toys. Dragons are not so easy to kill as that. Tickle him with these and you'll only make him angry.     The eyes were where a dragon was most vulnerable. The eyes, and the brain behind them. Not the underbelly, as certain old tales would have it. The scales there were just as tough as those along a dragon's back and flanks. And not down the gullet either. That was madness. /

What I wrestle with is does full, fat and happy Drogon simply let the Dotraki take Dany away to Crone's town/Vaes Dothrak?

Or do the Dothraki kill Drogon?

Or does Drogon simply get annoyed at not being able to take its nap and fly away to flame throw another day?

As an aside, can dragons be poisoned by the food they eat?  I ask because Dany's other two children are now free range and are eating diseased bodies.

Spoiler in the reveal tag.

Spoiler

The Winds of Winter - Tyrion I    The green beast was circling above the bay, banking and turning as longships and galleys clashed and burned below him, but it was the white dragon the sellswords were gawking at. Three hundred yards away the Wicked Sister swung her arm, <i>chunk-THUMP,</i> and six fresh corpses went dancing through the sky. Up they rose, and up, and up. Then two burst into flame.    The dragon caught one burning body just as it began to fall, crunching it between his jaws as pale fires ran across his teeth. White wings cracked against the morning air, and the beast began to climb again.

1 hour ago, Clegane'sPup said:

What I wrestle with is does full, fat and happy Drogon simply let the Dotraki take Dany away to Crone's town/Vaes Dothrak?

Or does Drogon simply get annoyed at not being able to take its nap and fly away to flame throw another day?

I suppose that depends on whether Dany has full control or not over Drogon anymore. It took one simple phrase for Dany to get Drogon to roast the slave masters and the warlocks. Drogon is a little more headstrong now, so I think that GRRM wanted us to question that bond right at that point. I think that it is important that the Khal Dany encounters already knows her. If GRRM wants to expedite her re-immersion into their culture by avoiding a conflict, that's the way to do it.

1 hour ago, Clegane'sPup said:

As an aside, can dragons be poisoned by the food they eat?  I ask because Dany's other two children are now free range and are eating diseased bodies.

I would tend to doubt it. Most predators are forced to eat carrion from time to time. They must have the proper gut bacteria present to do this without major discomfort, so I think that the dragons are okay on that front. Besides, they are cooking it well done first. ;)

Drogon is loyal to his momma.  The only two ways the Dothraki will take her to Vaes Dothrak is if she allows it or even desire it for a strategic purpose.   The second way, if Drogo's soul reside in Drogon and he feels it's important for Daenerys to go back to the Dosh Khaleen and fulfill her destiny of ruling all of the khalasars.  

Well, this is one of the most questioned cliffhangers.

- We don't know what Jhaqo wants. They have been around for a while whilst Drogon eats their horses.

- Because the author takes us out from Dany's mind, we don't know what Dany plans. Clearly, she is going to face the Dothraki, instead of flying away and confront them from a more advantageous position.

We know a few things.

- Drogon is not going to die there, nor will Dany.

- Dany will, at some point, head to Vaes Dothrak and be declared the "Stallion who mounts the World"

The question is how things things will (not) happen. I have the pet theory that Jhaqo was sent by the Dosh Khaleen to retrieve Dany. It may be that there is something amiss in the Dothraki Sea (there are hints of this in Dany's last chapter, the grass dying) and they need her.

17 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

What I wrestle with is does full, fat and happy Drogon simply let the Dothraki take Dany away to Crone's town/Vaes Dothrak?

Yes. He lets her walk away from his den. He will probably follow her while hunting and part of the next book is her uniting the horse riders under the Dragon Rider. 

Lol no.  

He has been eating well. There is no need to be angry at people riding his food 

Hide contents

The Winds of Winter - Tyrion I    The green beast was circling above the bay, banking and turning as longships and galleys clashed and burned below him, but it was the white dragon the sellswords were gawking at. Three hundred yards away the Wicked Sister swung her arm, <i>chunk-THUMP,</i> and six fresh corpses went dancing through the sky. Up they rose, and up, and up. Then two burst into flame.    The dragon caught one burning body just as it began to fall, crunching it between his jaws as pale fires ran across his teeth. White wings cracked against the morning air, and the beast began to climb again.

fire kills pathogens, and dragons are magical. Fire made flesh. Their wounds smoke and steam. A germ will not harm them 

Daenerys has  unfinished business with the Dothraki.  We knew this moment was coming.  She needs the  Dothraki on her side if freedom for the slaves has any chance of permanency.  I think she will bury the hatchet and forgive Jhaqo as long as he doesn't oppose her.  A few years have passed since Eroeh and Daenerys has grown. 

20 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

First read of the saga I had to make a cheat sheet to keep up with the multiple character names --- Crowsfood (Mors) ,  Whoresbane (Hothor) , Crows Eye (Euron), Damphiar (Aeron)  --- I even mixed up Jhaqo and Jhogo and had to add them to the cheat sheet.

In the back of my mind there is a little gremlin that pops up when thinking about Dany's last DwD chapter.

When Khal Jhaqo comes upon Dany her dragon is full, fat and happy.  Dany goes to stand beside her dragon. Half a hundred Dotraki approach.

A Dance with Dragons - Daenerys      As the western sky turned the color of a blood bruise, she heard the sound of approaching horses. Dany rose, wiped her hands on her ragged undertunic, and went to stand beside her dragon.   That was how Khal Jhaqo found her, when half a hundred mounted warriors emerged from the drifting smoke./

The Dotraki are supposedly excellent bowmen. Stay with me while I make a comment about Drogon and Tyrion.

Drogon is slightly larger than a horse. Not the big computer generated image.

Tyrion via his book knowledge is under the impression that the best way to kill a dragon is an arrow through the eye.

A Dance with Dragons - Tyrion XI    If anyone had thought to ask him, Tyrion could have told them not to bother. Unless one of those long iron scorpion bolts chanced to find an eye, the queen's pet monster was not like to be brought down by such toys. Dragons are not so easy to kill as that. Tickle him with these and you'll only make him angry.     The eyes were where a dragon was most vulnerable. The eyes, and the brain behind them. Not the underbelly, as certain old tales would have it. The scales there were just as tough as those along a dragon's back and flanks. And not down the gullet either. That was madness. /

Hide contents

I suspect that Daenerys somehow knows what she has to do next, just like she knew what she had to do at the end of Game. 

1 hour ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I suspect that Daenerys somehow knows what she has to do next, just like she knew what she had to do at the end of Game. 

I get it that retreading is a pain in the arse.  Considering the shrinkage in the book forum and the influence of the thing that canna be mentioned, I be thinking you needs to be typing sum of your ideas after giving the link.

Glenifiddich at the ready. :devil:

Granted that in the opening post I typed

22 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

As an aside, can dragons be poisoned by the food they eat? 

part of what feeds my little gremlin is from the Hedge Knight

The Hedge Knight    Not that Dunk had ever seen a dragon.      The old man had, though.     Dunk had heard the story half a hundred times, how Ser Arlan had been just a little boy when his grandfather had taken him to King's Landing, and how they'd seen the last dragon there the year before it died.     She'd been a green female, small and stunted, her wings withered.     None of her eggs had ever hatched. "Some say King Aegon poisoned her," the old man would tell.    "The third Aegon that would be, not King Daeron's father, but the one they named Dragonbane, or Aegon the Unlucky.   He was afraid of dragons, for he'd seen his uncle's beast devour his own mother. The summers have been shorter since the last dragon died, and the winters longer and crueler."/

I find the above quote interesting for a couple of reasons.  One is the mention of dragons being poisoned. The other is the mention about shorter summers and longer winters.

5 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Remember the argument that somehow thins could be interpreted as Drogon having flown off and Dany is alone? Ahhh, that was a tedious and repetitive week :lol:

Sometimes you scare me Helena ---- :bawl: I get worried. What have I forgotten and am I in trouble?

2 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

I get it that retreading is a pain in the arse.  Considering the shrinkage in the book forum and the influence of the thing that canna be mentioned, I be thinking you needs to be typing sum of your ideas after giving the link.

Glenifiddich at the ready. :devil:

In Clash, the Undying Ones told Daenerys that she must light three fires, " . . . one for life and one for death and one to love." 

The first was quite obviously Drogo’s pyre, which gave life to the dragons. 

She will light the second fire in Vaes Dothrak, causing the death of the assembled Dothraki khals, and allowing her to assume comand of the assembled Dothraki khalassars.  

All the khalasars will return to Vaes Dothrak...

“Only the crones of the dosh khaleen dwell permanently in the sacred city, them and their slaves and servants,” Ser Jorah replied, “yet Vaes Dothrak is large enough to house every man of every khalasar, should all the khals return to the Mother at once. The crones have prophesied that one day that will come to pass, and so Vaes Dothrak must be ready to embrace all its children.”

“Only the crones of the dosh khaleen dwell permanently in the sacred city, them and their slaves and servants,” Ser Jorah replied, “yet Vaes Dothrak is large enough to house every man of every khalasar, should all the khals return to the Mother at once. The crones have prophesied that one day that will come to pass, and so Vaes Dothrak must be ready to embrace all its children.”

Daenerys IV, Game 36

And they will become "one blood, one khalasar, one herd." (Daenerys IV, Game 36)

ETA II

And Daenerys’s babe will be the stallion that mounts the world...

As the smoke ascended, the chanting died away and the ancient crone closed her single eye, the better to peer into the future. The silence that fell was complete. Dany could hear the distant call of night birds, the hiss and crackle of the torches, the gentle lapping of water from the lake. The Dothraki stared at her with eyes of night, waiting.

Khal Drogo laid his hand on Dany's arm. She could feel the tension in his fingers. Even a khal as mighty as Drogo could know fear when the dosh khaleen peered into smoke of the future. At her back, her handmaids fluttered anxiously.

Finally the crone opened her eye and lifted her arms. "I have seen his face, and heard the thunder of his hooves," she proclaimed in a thin, wavery voice.

"The thunder of his hooves!" the others chorused.

"As swift as the wind he rides, and behind him his khalasar covers the earth, men without number, with arakhs shining in their hands like blades of razor grass. Fierce as a storm this prince will be. His enemies will tremble before him, and their wives will weep tears of blood and rend their flesh in grief. The bells in his hair will sing his coming, and the milk men in the stone tents will fear his name." The old woman trembled and looked at Dany almost as if she were afraid. "The prince is riding, and he shall be the stallion who mounts the world."

"The stallion who mounts the world!" the onlookers cried in echo, until the night rang to the sound of their voices.

Daenerys V, Game 46 (emphasis in the original)

Of course, Rhaego would go on to die in the womb, another wee Targaryen dragonbaby, the child that Daenerys unwittingly sacrificed to Wake the Dragon. But Daenerys is the Mother of Dragons, and she refers to her dragonlets as her children. If Daenerys returns to Vaes Dothrak and unites the Dothraki, it will be with the aid of her child Drogon. And how will Drogon do that? Dragons are fire made flesh, and fire is power. 

Daenerys will return to Vaes Dothrak, "beneath the shadow of the Mother of the Mountains"...

"To go forward you must go back, and to touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow."

Daenerys III, Clash 40 (emphasis added)

"Have patience, Princess. Do not make your brother's mistake. We will go home, I promise you."

Home? The word made her feel sad. Ser Jorah had his Bear Island, but what was home to her? A few tales, names recited as solemnly as the words of a prayer, the fading memory of a red door . . . was Vaes Dothrak to be her home forever? When she looked at the crones of the dosh khaleen, was she looking at her future?

... But with the khal off hunting, it was pleasant to lie back on soft cushions and be carried across Vaes Dothrak, ...

The day was warm and cloudless, the sky a deep blue. When the wind blew, she could smell the rich scents of grass and earth. As her litter passed beneath the stolen monuments, she went from sunlight to shadow and back again. Dany swayed along, studying the faces of dead heroes and forgotten kings. She wondered if the gods of burned cities could still answer prayers.

If I were not the blood of the dragon, she thought wistfully, this could be my home. She was khaleesi, she had a strong man and a swift horse, handmaids to serve her, warriors to keep her safe, an honored place in the dosh khaleen awaiting her when she grew old . . . and in her womb grew a son who would one day bestride the world. That should be enough for any woman . . . but not for the dragon. With Viserys gone, Daenerys was the last, the very last. She was the seed of kings and conquerors, and so too the child inside her. She must not forget.

Daenerys VI, Game 54 (emphasis added)

On 2/7/2019 at 4:10 PM, Clegane'sPup said:

I'm not sure he'll do anything. The Dothraki clearly know the dragon is there, so perhaps they're allowing him to eat the horses and that's why he made Dragonstone his home.

Drogon reminds me a bit of Sheepstealer and I think Jhaqo was trying to tame him. 

That was how Khal Jhaqo found her, when half a hundred mounted warriors emerged from the drifting smoke. (Dany X, ADwD 71)

The Dothraki don't seem to be all that worried about the dragon or wary of him. 

Archived