Let the games(of thrones) begin

Staenerys Stargaryen

Ever since king Robert met his untimely end (way back in season one) I have been patiently waiting for this game of thrones to take place and for someone else to take the throne from Cersei and her bastards.

Instead of worrying about who will sit the throne on the last scene of season 8, I want to know who you think will be the next to sit the iron throne?  How will it be taken, will Cersei's head find a pike above king's landing (fingers crossed) or will she abandon the throne? Also how many times will the throne change hands in season 8?

My hope is that the lion is ousted in the season premier and each episode of the last season puts a new contender on the iron throne.

• 2 weeks later...

We are promised a sort of "final end" to the Game of Thrones, which probably can only occur if the Iron throne is destroyed. All other scenarios will lead to further Game of Thrones of all other Houses.

We have been presented with Mad King > Robert Baratheon > Jeoffrey > Tommen > Cersei Lannister (as queen regent)... let's see.

14 hours ago, Staenerys Stargaryen said:

Is there any chance a Dornish host led by a new sand snake takes kings landing? I hope the throne changes hands a couple times...

I don't see any chance for that. No clues at all. The heat is about Stark, Targaryen, Nightking...

2 hours ago, Kajjo said:

We are promised a sort of "final end" to the Game of Thrones, which probably can only occur if the Iron throne is destroyed. All other scenarios will lead to further Game of Thrones of all other Houses.

We have been presented with Mad King > Robert Baratheon > Jeoffrey > Tommen > Cersei Lannister (as queen regent)... let's see.

I don't see any chance for that. No clues at all. The heat is about Stark, Targaryen, Nightking...

Well for the iron throne to be destroyed I would imagine Cersei will have to be dethroned (unless she goes down with the ship).  I guess I was just surprised that all five kings, of the the war of the five kings, met their end but the throne was never taken. Roberts rebellion happened before we show up on the scene. I agree that the dornish threat is a long shot but there was lots pointing to them wanting to remove Cersei, and the Lannisters in general, from power.  Maybe stark targ or nk have a better chance. I guess ill just have to wait to find out.  There are so many different theories floating around someone is bound to have thought up a twist before it happens. Was looking for ideas about the earlier parts of next season rather then the end game.

28 minutes ago, Staenerys Stargaryen said:

there was lots pointing to them wanting to remove Cersei

Not really... it was a lot pointing to wanting revenge because of the "Sack of King's Landing" and the murder of the two children of Elia Martell. Since Oberyn died in the fight against the Mountain and Ellaria Martell is imprisoned, the Dorne story line had an abrupt end. The Martells are more or less history. In summary, I believe this was all about revenge and hate, not really about the throne.

Lannisters are more or less hated by everyone in Westeros for their behaviour in the "Sack". They are bot popular, but they are rich and influencial. The richness might decrease since their natural ressources of their ground appears to be almost exhausted, though.

32 minutes ago, Staenerys Stargaryen said:

someone is bound to have thought up a twist before it happens. Was looking for ideas about the earlier parts of next season rather then the end game.

I see your point. Discussing is interesting anyway. Don't worry.

However, there are so many important issues to be resolved (Purpose and origin of the Nightking, Children of the Forest, three-eyed raven and Bran's power, prince that was promised, Winterfell crypts) and fights to be fought (against the Others, against Cersei) and story line threads to be tied up (Jon and Dany, Cersei, Arya) that we have no real holes to fill with entirely new ideas. I sincerely hope the producers will tie up the lose ends and not create any more new threads.

I am going to guess the throne is destroyed or symbolically destroyed at the end of the show. I honestly can't see who would even sit on it at the end. 

If I had to guess, there is no iron throne at the end and each section of the map lives on its own, which will one day just lead to more wars and eventually another type of iron throne. Repeating history.

2 hours ago, Bradam said:

The physical chair might get destroyed but some will just replace it with new chair/throne. Even if they installed some kind of democracy I doubt it would last a generation or two before someone claimed themselves king and took over again

This is the main problem. IMO GRRM and the story must have a way to get out of this deadly game. IMO it goes by no one having excessive power. But some force that could be mobilized if someone is making trouble. Like how Robert dealt with the Greyjoy rebellion. Or how the Starks call their banners. Having no significant army, they need the support of enough of their banners to do anything. Something like the NW, independent, but respected, not made of rapists and bitter, defeated lords. IMO, more than anything else, it needs someone whose decisions are respected. Jon could lead this organization, with the help of the Free Folk.

Rome had a republic in the midevil days, one good drought and everyone starts starving and suddenly hail Ceaser.

If you look at the real world England as a better example the industrial revolution more or less broke the monarchs, mechanized farming freed up tons of workers, more free time aloud mass literacy pushes and educated the masses.

I imagine GRRM would have to work that into westoros somehow. 

Archived