Seaserpent

Why are there no oceans in ASOIAF?

Why are there no oceans in ASOIAF? Is it because all the lands of the known world are connected with each other and they just seperated by seas or something else? I was just wondering

Ocean and sea are, for all intents and purposes, interchangeable terms. "Ocean" is a fairly recent addition to our lexicon. It was added once the expanse of the bodies of water in question were actually realized. If you look at old world maps, you will see labels like "Mar Del Zur (Mer Du Zur) and Mar Del Nort (Mer Du Nord)" where the Atlantic and Pacific oceans are labeled now; "mar" and "mer" both translating as "sea". I even have one dated 1584 that has the western coast of South America labeled as Mer Du Drago.

4 hours ago, Three-Fingered Pete said:

Ocean and sea are, for all intents and purposes, interchangeable terms. "Ocean" is a fairly recent addition to our lexicon. It was added once the expanse of the bodies of water in question were actually realized. If you look at old world maps, you will see labels like "Mar Del Zur (Mer Du Zur) and Mar Del Nort (Mer Du Nord)" where the Atlantic and Pacific oceans are labeled now; "mar" and "mer" both translating as "sea". I even have one dated 1584 that has the western coast of South America labeled as Mer Du Drago.

thanx sounds plausible

23 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Partly attributble to George’s apparent addiction to alliteration.

He has a serious thing for it.

The Occidental Ocean doesn’t have quite the same ring as the Shivering Sea. ;)