Children of the Forest, Night King and the role of Bran

Kajjo

So many people are deliberating Jon, Daenerys, Cersei and so on (i.e. the Iron throne focus), but with regards to the final end most intriguing is the story line of Bran Stark (i.e. the Night King focus). What is the quintessence of the Bran/three-eyed raven story? I believe this is the core of the whole "Song of Ice and Fire". 

Jojen knows that he will die and not return from his travel North and that all that matters is Bran reaching the three-eyed raven. Even Leaf, the very old and leading Child of the Forest, sacrifices herself and her people for Bran to live. Why? What makes Bran so important? What will he do that is essential to the world?

ISSUE 1 -- Creation of the Night King by the Children of the Forest

Scene A: Leaf, the leading Child of the forest, pushing a dragon glass arrow into the heart of a First Man, who is bound to a hearttee, presumably on the Isle of Faces. The scene is shown quite silently and we can very clearly hear wood splintering and breaking while she pushes the dragon glass, not the expected sound of cutting flesh.  The magic of creating the Night King somehow involves the tree itself. We shortly see the hearttree from top, showing the spiral symbol.

Scene B: Greenseeing-Bran is touched by the Night King, who then knows were Bran is. There must be a magical connection between Bran and the Night King, because otherwise greenseeing-Bran is invisible and untouchable by the real past people. I believe this shows clearly a very special connection between Bran and the Night King. But what is the connection? 

Maybe the Children of the Forest realized they created a too-strong entity with the Night King and created the three-eyed raven as counter-part? Maybe both together are two sides of the same medal or at least can quench each other? Maybe Bran and the Night King have to reach the same hearttree of the creation ceremony?

Old three-eyed raven to Bran: "They died so you can find what you have lost." "You will never walk again but you will fly." (scene showing a dragon's eye) So is Bran supposed to enter the fight as Dragon warg or rider? Maybe Bran has to sacrifice himself to annihilate the Night King? Bran's melancholy at the end of season 7 could point to the fact that Bran know he will have to die?

ISSUE 2 -- Symbolism

We are repeatedly shown two symbols: The many-armed spiral and the split circle (circle with line from top to bottom). The very first scenes (S1-01) of Game of Thrones show the snowy forest with the slaughtered men arranged in a split circle. Later we see the White Walkers arranging victims in spirals. Jon and Daenerys see both symbols carved by the Children of the Forest, directly above each other, in the dragon glass cave. The creation of the Night King shows the spirals around the hearttree. Sansa wears sometimes a necklace with the split circle symbol. The Targaryen sigil at least resembles shomehow a spiral. So what are these two symbols supposed to mean? First Men (circle) and Children of the Forest (spirals)? Or Ice (circle) and Fire (spirals)?

ISSUE 3 -- Jojen Reed and his family

Jojen is a Greenseer, an ability otherwise mostly restricted to the Children of the Forest and Bran himself. Why has Jojen this ability? Why did he know about Bran's importance and made it his duty? Are the Reeds somehow interbred with Children of the Forest? Carry a secret knowledge for several generations? Or know about their magic? Jojen once demonstrates his magically flaming hand. Why does he have magical abilities? Meera Reed does not appear to have special abilities, though. 

THE END

Of course there will be a grand battle, maybe more than one. But I sincerely hope the producers will tie up the loose ends of the Bran story line, the three-eyed raven, the Night King, the Children of the Forest.

The show did not focus on the Azor Ahai story line so far. I wonder whether they will make it pivotal or somehow ignore it.

My guess: (1) Bran is essential to bring the Night King down. Both will die.  (2) The Iron Throne will be destroyed.

I agree that Bran is the key figure to bring down the NK in the End Game. He should be able to return to the time of the Long Night 5-8000 years ago and find out what the agreement was between the Last Hero (who I believe in our story is Jon), the COTF and the NK which resulted in the NK withdrawing back North and the Wall being built. The NK/WW's were winning the battle at that time so it must have been a very significant concession for the NK to agree to withdraw. 

I tend to agree (at least it sounds reasonable) with the theory that it is tied into the PTWP prophecy/legend which is tied into the Old Gods.  The PTWP will turn out to be a special Combined Royal Child of Stark/Targaryen blood that was promised to the NK and I believe we will find out the reason why in season 8. The NK is invading now to get the child he was promised (which is Jon's/Daenerys' child - who will turn out to be the PTWP). Perhaps the NK was not prepared/able to invade when Jon was born so that is why he is invading now. Jon actually is only half royal anyway. Perhaps even Jon's/Daenerys' births were the triggers that woke up the NK/WW's to begin with, and they are now invading to get the combined royal child (an adult will not do) that a royal Jon (but still half Stark) will sire with a magical royal Targaryen (Daenerys - she is not your average Targaryen). Perhaps as a Greenseer this was all partially foreseen by the NK.

The NK is reportedly of Stark origin. Crastor's sons who were sacrificed to the NK were probably of Stark/Targaryen ancestry. Crastor's father was most probably BloodRaven who was the bastard son of Aegon Targaryen IV. So it does appear there is some sort of sacred connection between Stark and the Targaryen bloods.  I believe we will see the specific connection delineated in Season 8. However, Crastor's sons turned out to not be what he was hoping/looking for as they were not sufficiently Royal in lineage. The NK has had chances to kill both Jon and Daenerys but did not. You might say that he tried but was not successful. However, I would not be surprised if we find out these missed chances were intentional, not just coincidence.

The fate of Bran is a little bit more difficult to predict. Perhaps he will need to sacrifice himself in order to take down the NK. It would not surprise me if this happens. I find it a little more of an intriguing idea to consider  is that  he will need to sacrifice the Three-Eyed Raven part of himself to take down the NK,  and when the NK is destroyed he will suddenly appear to die but will then wake up as the original non-magical Bran.   He will then assume a leadership role in the rebuilding of Winterfell and Westeros (if you give any credence to the oddsmakers) similar to his ancestor, Bran the Builder, who built Winterfell in the first place.  Just some thoughts. Probably won't happen this way. I do agree the Iron Throne will be gone (IMHO its the major overall twist in the story combined with the major individual twist of Daenerys giving up her obsession to rule). We shall see. 

21 hours ago, DisneyDoc2425 said:

He should be able to return to the time of the Long Night 5-8000 years ago and find out what the agreement

Yeah, that would be the best solution. Watching whatever agreement and also the reason to create the NK, maybe even the three-eyed raven. Hopefully, they tie up the loose ends.

The PTWP will turn out to be a special ... child of Stark/Targaryen blood that was promised to the NK

Hm, might be. Very difficult to predict what this PTWP is all about.

I do agree the Iron Throne will be gone (IMHO its the major overall twist in the story combined with the major individual twist of Daenerys giving up her obsession to rule).

We agree. I see not possibility to write a final end of the "Game of Thrones" without the Iron throne be gone.

Archived