The Walking Dead: The Judith and Negan Show (Comic Spoilers)

HokieStone

Well I am a little disappointed. I didn't see the episode until Tuesday and I had seen that there was something "shocking" with Michonne and I secretly hoped they set her free by killing her off. Nope, but at least the X on the back and the whole not trusting other people is explained. It didn't come close to when Carol had her young adult culling but in this world it should be expected. Hell there are bands of homeless "feral" kids that age in Brazil that rob and murder people and it's not even the zombie apocolypse! 

14 hours ago, DMC said:

You didn't miss anything, in their conversation in the kitchen there was a brief allusion that they seemed to be friends in college.  And that was just about it.  Also, did forget to mention I loved seeing Tara from True Blood again.  That woulda been a great cast addition.

Yeah, I saw that bit but I kept thinking they must have some additional kind of connection which had happened in the PA-world. Like, why did her old college buddy hate her so much and want to take her kids away? Why had she trained kids to kill adult humans. WHAT EVEN? This makes no sense to meeeeeeee. I just didn't get it. :dunce:

Also, found all the Westworld-esque cuts between timelines (pregnant/not pregnant Michonne being essential for me to figure out when it was) making me additionally confused.

This is a shame because, as I said, there were good performances here. I felt a bit emotional when Judith said: *paraphase* 'when did we stop loving Daryl etc'. :(

6 minutes ago, Isis said:

Like, why did her old college buddy hate her so much and want to take her kids away? Why had she trained kids to kill adult humans. WHAT EVEN? This makes no sense to meeeeeeee. I just didn't get it. :dunce:

It didn't make sense to anybody.  It was just bad writing.  I thought, when the episode first started, they were trying to do something like the comics is now - Michonne actually found her daughter.  Obviously that wouldn't be possible based on the show's canon, but kinda hoped this was they're way to do it and we'd get to know Tara as a non-totally killable character.  Nope.

9 minutes ago, Isis said:

I felt a bit emotional when Judith said: *paraphase* 'when did we stop loving Daryl etc'. :(

Yeah, it was well done.  They did a good job making you feel it - how do you say no to that?

21 hours ago, DMC said:

It didn't make sense to anybody.  It was just bad writing.  I thought, when the episode first started, they were trying to do something like the comics is now - Michonne actually found her daughter.  Obviously that wouldn't be possible based on the show's canon, but kinda hoped this was they're way to do it and we'd get to know Tara as a non-totally killable character.  Nope.

omg comic spoilers, forgot about those. :ph34r: I'm only up to book 12 (that's the big books - no idea what that is in individual numbers). In fact, I read 12 before 11 by accident, so just last week I re-read them both because we are actually at that point in show now (the Whisperers and the fair) and I didn't want the show to get past the comics for me. I have book 13 in the post too.

But I honestly forgot this was a spoiler thread. Whoops.

Well, I guess I'm at least glad in terms of the characters they killed off.  I'll trade Tara and Henry for Ezekiel and Rita (who were on those spikes in the comics) all day.  Although it'd be nice if they actually used Rita other than this weird love..square (rectangle?  parallelogram?)  Sucks they killed off Enid, i liked her, but again not like they're gonna do anything with her anyway.  And they killed off Brett Butler.  I thought coke and pills did that years ago.

24 minutes ago, DMC said:

Well, I guess I'm at least glad in terms of the characters they killed off.  I'll trade Tara and Henry for Ezekiel and Rita (who were on those spikes in the comics) all day.  Although it'd be nice if they actually used Rita other than this weird love..square (rectangle?  parallelogram?)  Sucks they killed off Enid, i liked her, but again not like they're gonna do anything with her anyway.  And they killed off Brett Butler.  I thought coke and pills did that years ago.

Welp...I guess my recording stopped early.  It ended shortly after Alpha found Lydia during the movie.  Seems I missed some big developments.

1 minute ago, HokieStone said:

Welp...I guess my recording stopped early.  It ended shortly after Alpha found Lydia during the movie.  Seems I missed some big developments.

Yes, you did.  I'm glad I wasn't recording - my box said TWD should've ended at 10 - it didn't end until 10:27.  Probably wouldn't have checked that.  Oh well, it is on AMC, like, three more times in the next six hours.

2 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

I feel compelled to announce to the world that I absolutely adore Connie

Agreed. I think Daryl does too. In his own grumbly way.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Umm, how does the timing of this episode even approach making sense?  Alpha not only has Littlefinger's jetpack, she's got the best makeup in the world.

Yeah I thought the same about the makeup/mask. Not a single line or cut showing the deviation from the skin, though I thought I saw something on her forehead in the scene at night when she was talking to Lydia. It was brief. Either or, seemed too much.

To your point about Tara and Henry, agree. No qualms here saying bye to them. I never warmed to Tara. She's always been a whiny brat imo.

Side note: I can't stand Scott Gimple. Every time he's on Talking Dead I'm tuned out. For someone so knowledgeable about the show, I find him incredibly boring.

14 minutes ago, DMC said:

She was fine as comic relief but not in a leadership role.

Yeah that was the only thing she brought to the table. Her as a leader is laughable. Was ready to banish Lydia and then everyone reminded her that she was an enemy once and she immediately folds. 

Also, we finally have snow? Where has this been? The clip for next week shows an absolute blizzard. Looked pretty damn cool. Gimple mentioned that he's been wanting to have snow on the show for years. I don't know how the showrunner doesn't have the power to make that happen. About the only interesting thing he had to share. 

1 hour ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Also, we finally have snow? Where has this been? The clip for next week shows an absolute blizzard.

They did set up a couple times throughout the episode that, well, winter is coming.  But yeah that looked like a lot of snow for the DC area.

20 hours ago, DMC said:

They did set up a couple times throughout the episode that, well, winter is coming.  But yeah that looked like a lot of snow for the DC area.

We get a big blizzard every once in a while - about 7 or 8 years ago, we had "snowmageddon" - turned my normal 30 minute commute into a 4 hour commute...and that was when I left work at 11 PM.  There were some people on the road for 8+ hours.  Besides that's the least of the issues they've had about portraying the DC area.  Believe it or not, we still do have a lot of trees in the DC metro area...but not the giant forested area that they show.  And the whole bridge building thing that Rick "died" for...that's a joke...just go down a few streets and use the next bridge.  But, yeah...there are a lot more roads/houses/office buildings, etc than they show...really getting around between Alexandria, the Kingdom and Hilltop shouldn't be much of a problem.

Anyway, finally got to watch the last 30 minutes.  Funny that they referenced it on Talking Dead.  Someone screwed up.  I knew what was coming, so it wasn't quite a shock.  I feel like they still have some character pruning to do...there are still a lot of them.  We'll see if they set up anything with Negan next episode.  He wasn't in the show a lot this season...I expect he'll be back in a major way next season...the big anti-hero that will lead them against the Whisperers. 

2 minutes ago, HokieStone said:

I feel like they still have some character pruning to do...there are still a lot of them.

I dunno, I feel like at this point they're kinda hemorrhaging staff.  They need to concentrate on building up more characters at this points.  Lot's of characters.  The only one's viewers really care about are Daryl, Carol, and Michonne.  And the latter is apparently leaving.  They need to do a better job evening things out, by far.

4 minutes ago, HokieStone said:

I expect he'll be back in a major way next season...the big anti-hero that will lead them against the Whisperers.

Yep, I expect this will be set up in the finale.

I thought it was one of the better episodes of the season. Not great by any means but overall pretty good. Still don't understand the logic of splitting up to track down murderers thing, plot i guess. I am glad they thinned the cast some, it was needed since we can go episodes without seeing some main characters.

Will be interesting to see how the show handles walkers in cold conditions.

Did the "highway men" that busted in all die too? I assume they did but can't remember.

4 hours ago, grozeng said:

makes me feel worse for what they did to the actor that played Carl

Carl ended up fine.  More than fine.

16 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Did the "highway men" that busted in all die too? I assume they did but can't remember.

It seemed as if every "highway man" that was of any consequence made the border.

Archived