How do I buy a mattress?

Fez

The time's finally come, as it does everyone's life, that I need to buy a new mattress. Only, this is actually my first time buying one, the bed I got from a friend in grad school has finally lost all vestiges of comfort, before that it was a futon, and before that were mattress my parents bought. I've done some initial looking around, and I'm totally lost. There's dozens of different companies, each with dozens of different products. There's hundreds of sites claiming they are the best source of mattress reviews, I've no idea which are legitimate and which have good critical eyes for mattress. I don't know how rating scales for mattress work. I don't know if the online sellers that I hear advertising on podcasts all the time (e.g. Leesa and Capser) are good quality; I don't know if there are better quality. I don't know what a reasonable price for a mattress is and what a rip-off is. 

I know I want to buy on Presidents' Day (what with all the sales then), I know I want a King's size mattress, and I know I want a mattress that's soft, but not too soft. Beyond that, no clue. Any suggestions?

ETA: grammar, apparently

My understanding is most mattress review sites are sponsored by mattress companies. 

That said, they do have some general advice you may find useful as to types, rather than brands, of mattress that might best suit your needs. 

If you can, buy from a store, then you can try before you buy. Also, it's worth spending a bit for a good mattress. Don't over-stretch financially, but a good mattress is an investment. A cheap one isn't worth the saving. 

Yes, buy from the store, where you can try them out. The salesperson will, no doubt, try to fill your head of all kinds terms and specs, but it only matters how comfortable it is to you, and its durability. Like mormont said, don't go cheap if you can. I bought a TempurPedic almost 6 years ago, pricey for sure, but no issues with it.

How do you buy a mattress?

You go into a shop, choose one, pay for it and ahve it delivered (if you don't happen to drive a van).

After this very helpful bit of information, now on to some drivel. AFAIK the "perfect" mattress for you depends a bit on your size and weight, and more imporantly on your sleeping position. You sleep lieing on your side, you want a softer more flexible mattress, you sleep on your back or belly (who does that btw.?) you need a firmer one.

WIth regards to weight, the lighter you are the softer you can go (very rough rule, as in if you are taller your weight stretches out more, compared to a rather "compact" built). AFAIK there are some rough formulas out there for you to calculate that stuff.

2 hours ago, Fez said:

The time's finally come, as it does everyone's life, that I need to buy a new mattress. Only, this is actually my first time buying one, the bed I got from a friend in grad school has finally lost all vestiges of comfort, before that it was a futon, and before that were mattress my parents bought. I've done some initial looking around, and I'm totally lost. There's dozens of different companies, each with dozens of different products. There's hundreds of sites claiming they are the best source of mattress reviews, I've no idea which are legitimate and which have good critical eyes for mattress. I don't know how rating scales for mattress work. I don't know if the online sellers that I hear advertising on podcasts all the time (e.g. Leesa and Capser) are good quality; I don't know if there are better quality. I don't know what a reasonable price for a mattress is and what a rip-off is. 

I know I want to buy on Presidents' Day (what with all the sales then), I know I want a King's size mattress, and I know I want a mattress that's soft, but not too soft. Beyond that, no clue. Any suggestions?

You were worried about people identifying you because you might comment on drug policy? Now we all know who you are because you’re the one man on Earth with a busted up used mattress with no less than four different semen samples on it.

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

You were worried about people identifying you because you might comment on drug policy? Now we all know who you are because you’re the one man on Earth with a busted up used mattress with no less than four different semen samples on it.

1) She was famously single when I knew her, so likely there's only one semen sample I'd be concerned about on it. And that would be her father's, since I believe it was her parents' old bed. She only had it for around two years before she moved cross-country and didn't want to take it with her. Lots of people have a bed with one probable semen sample beyond their own/their partners.

2) I can either be publicly identified or I can talk all about those policies. I don't care which, but it can't be both, and after 18 years posting on this board and the previous one, I'm much closer to the former happening.

Side note: Holy fuck. It's really been 18 years since I found the old ezboard.

9 minutes ago, Fez said:

1) She was famously single when I knew her, so likely there's only one semen sample I'd be concerned about on it. And that would be her father's, since I believe it was her parents' old bed. She only had it for around two years before she moved cross-country and didn't want to take it with her. Lots of people have a bed with one probable semen sample beyond their own/their partners.

2) I can either be publicly identified or I can talk all about those policies. I don't care which, but it can't be both, and after 18 years posting on this board and the previous one, I'm much closer to the former happening.

Side note: Holy fuck. It's really been 18 years since I found the old ezboard.

1) Being single does not mean there was an absent of sexual partners. In fact, it increases the likelihood of multiple partners.

2) We do not know if her mother was faithful on said mattress nor do we know if her parents were swingers. A reassessment leads me to believe that four was a significant under evaluation.

Side note: You’re either older than I thought you were or you started reading these books at an inappropriate age.  

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

1) Being single does not mean there was an absent of sexual partners. In fact, it increases the likelihood of multiple partners.

2) We do not know if her mother was faithful on said mattress nor do we know if her parents were swingers. A reassessment leads me to believe that four was a significant under evaluation.

Side note: You’re either older than I thought you were or you started reading these books at an inappropriate age.  

Very inappropriate age. I should not have been reading about Tyrion's "veiny, purple cock" , or whatever the hell the line was, when I was 13. Actually, I may have been 12.

Anyway, I'd prefer not to speculate about my friend's sex life. Speculating about her parents' sex life seems fine though. Either way though, hopefully I will have a new mattress soon enough and no longer need to worry about unknown, possibly invisible, stains.

3 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

That's how he actually met them. #awkward

"Now remember Kif, the quickest way to a girl's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in."

17 minutes ago, Fez said:

"Now remember Kif, the quickest way to a girl's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in."

Awesome reference, was gonna post the same thing.  Just saw that episode the other day.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Now we all know who you are because you’re the one man on Earth with a busted up used mattress with no less than four different semen samples on it.

No idea why you think he's the only man on Earth with such a mattress.  That just puts him in a population of most 20-30 something single males.

And on that note, this thread starting right now is freaky.  Probably about on..Saturday, I noticed a part of my bed was sinking.  At first I thought it was cuz I was fat and slept too long, but it appears to be permanent.  That's still probably because I'm fat, but seems I'll be in the market for a new mattress for the first time as well.  Have had this one since I was 21, and got it from my parents.  Pretty sure it was one of our mattresses growing up, but I'm honestly not sure whose it was.

I spent a long time researching mattress when I moved a year and a half ago. I ended up going with Brooklyn Bedding and I have been very happy with it, plus I found the convenience of it nice. Previously I had bought mattresses at a mattress store, trying them out. I know that I prefer firm mattresses so that's what I was looking for, and the return policies were generous enough that I was willing to give it a shot. Anyway just saying that if you're comfortable with it, I think the online ones that get advertised on podcasts can be good.

So I went to a mattress store, spent probably close to 90 minutes there, and eventually found a medium firmness Serta mattress that seemed like the right fit for me. However, even after some seriously aggressive haggling on my part, the mattress+base+delivery is damn near double what the online retailers like Leesa and Casper charge. I really wish I knew what those mattress felt like. The store had a Purple, which I did not like at all, but my understanding is that Purple is pretty different from other online brands.

Has anyone slept on any of the online mattress? There was an all-foam mattress at the store that reminded me of a Tempurpedic (though different brand) that I liked a lot, but was $3,000. Are Leesa mattresses like a Tempurpedic one?

I have the King from Casper and love it.  Around 1000 bucks.  I used Consumer Reports to help make my selection.  My understanding is their middle of the road option is the best (The Casper).  Several friends have also enjoyed their purchase.

There are places that you can go to try the online matress.  Casper had a store in the Mall of America and there is another one in the Twin Cities that stocks online matresses you can try for example. Target also carries some of their products.

Archived