Help planning a trip to Czechia and surrounding area

Gertrude

Hi hive mind! I am in the process of planning a trip to Czechia at the end of May/start of June. Don't have a set itinerary except for 4 nights in Prague at the start and Litomysl near the end. (to visit friends and family - and by family, I mean a common ancestor with the same name from the 1600s :P ) We'll be there just over 2 weeks.

I think we're pretty good on sites in Czechia in general, but am always open to suggestions. What I am really looking for are day trips into neighboring countries. We will have a car and like to wander and explore rather than hit big cities or tourist sites. My parents will be with us, so not looking for anything that involves a strenuous hike, but a small walk might be something I could get my dad to consider. We want to dip our toes into Germany and Austria, possibly Poland if we can swing the time. Does anyone have a good suggestion for exploring these countries and getting a good feel for them? Interesting things to see? Not worried about language barrier as we collectively know enough to be understood in most situations. (well, except Polish)

And yes, I've looked at Relic's site :) Lots of good info, but always looking for more.

Depending on where you are stationed, you might consider an trip from Prague to Dresden, which is a great baroque city. But if you are more into nature thing without a big hike, you can make a boat trip down the Elbe river, for example Bad Schandau to Dresden, possibly Meißen, wich has beautiful nature near the Czeck border and also some of the most beautiful and iconic Saxon castles along the way. Btw. a trip down the Elbe river is also very nice on the Czech side, so you might consider starting downriver from Aussig (Usti nad Labem) wich is an hour by car from Prague.

Hmm, not sure about a boat trip, but Bad Shandau is a name I recognize from maps and looking at possibilities. Good to know it's scenic around there. What about the border near the Bavarian Forest? Saw a city that looked like a possibility - Passau. Swerve into Germany above the forest or through it and head to Passau then cross over to Austria.

We're probably going to head a little north from Praha, then west and then south around to Brno and head north again. Roughly.

2 minutes ago, broken one said:

best thing about southern Poland are the mountains imho, but if you do not intend to pour sweat... Cracow and Wieliczka (famous historic salt mine). not very original, sorry :)

Cracow is probably too far east for us to make it easily. Is the countryside near the German/Czech border with Poland nice? I'd happily spend time in a small town or shop in a local grocery store. Pretty much we're going to be happy just to be there, but any little hidden gems are a bonus.

I support Dresden, if you like baroque and Bad Schandau/Elbsandsteingebirge if you like nature. Passau is also nice although my memories are rather dim as it must be almost 30 years that I have been there.

22 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

Cracow is probably too far east for us to make it easily. Is the countryside near the German/Czech border with Poland nice? I'd happily spend time in a small town or shop in a local grocery store. Pretty much we're going to be happy just to be there, but any little hidden gems are a bonus.

While I haven’t personally been there, the Karkonosze mountains are quite picturesque. Karpacz and Szklarska Poreba are well known Polish resorts.

24 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

Wroclaw (Breslau) city? It is very nice but big. 

Moon-like post industrial landscapes (Pszow, Raciborz, Rybnik) if you fancy :) too far east probably 

German WWII fortified factories - so called riese complex in Owl Mountains (Góry Sowie, Eulengebirge) - hidden treasures of III Reich or zombie uber soldiers dwelling in caves, who knows

huge Jesus statue in Swiebodzin XD its gross but some like such things. Spirit of Poland indeed.

• 1 month later...

Just an idea you might consider: Check out "Air B and B Experiences Prague".  You might want to go with one of them.  Even if you don't, you might get an idea of something to do. Their Prague experiences include both things in Prague and some in the countryside around Prague.  I did several Air B and B experiences in London and they were gems!  Not highly touristy, limited to a small group (1, 3 or 5 people were in my various groups), centered on all kinds of different interests.  I learned a lot and got to know a local with each experience.

Archived