U.S. Politics: 22 Trillion Problems But An Unsecured Border Ain’t One

Mr. Chatywin et al.

29 minutes ago, Triskele said:

This Smollett attack story has gotten quite weird and it now seems possible that it was a staged attack though I'd say it's too early to draw any conclusions.  But if that is the case that it was staged I expect it to be irresistable fodder for the right.  

Fucking Millenials. Never willing to put in the proper amount of effort.

1 hour ago, Triskele said:

This Smollett attack story has gotten quite weird and it now seems possible that it was a staged attack though I'd say it's too early to draw any conclusions.  But if that is the case that it was staged I expect it to be irresistable fodder for the right.  

Based on CNN, it's almost certainly staged:

Two law enforcement sources with knowledge of the investigation tell CNN that Chicago Police believe actor Jussie Smollett paid two men to orchestrate an assault on him that he reported late last month.

Smollett denies playing a role in his attack, according to a statement from his attorneys.

The men, who are brothers, were arrested Wednesday but released without charges Friday after Chicago police cited the discovery of "new evidence."

The sources told CNN the two men are now cooperating fully with law enforcement.

And yes, Breitbart is absolutely loving this; they have an entire section on it which includes a lot more details than CNN does and also has the reaction of various politicians and celebrities (apparently, Senator Cory Booker tried to push for legislation in response to this "attack"). It's like a second Christmas in one winter for them.

1 hour ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Fucking Millenials. Never willing to put in the proper amount of effort.

In a way, this was actually too much effort with too little thought -- many people didn't believe it simply because it was so theatrical. I think he didn't fully understand the extent of the surveillance in the area or the ability of law enforcement to trace the purchase history of the props.

Either it was staged or whites have figured out a new fool proof way to muddy the waters: simply shout the victims of your terrorism staged it and you are just an employee. Whether or not it is ever trues is immaterial to its success as a astrategy.

47 minutes ago, Altherion said:

Based on CNN, it's almost certainly staged:

And yes, Breitbart is absolutely loving this; they have an entire section on it which includes a lot more details than CNN does and also has the reaction of various politicians and celebrities (apparently, Senator Cory Booker tried to push for legislation in response to this "attack"). It's like a second Christmas in one winter for them.

In a way, this was actually too much effort with too little thought -- many people didn't believe it simply because it was so theatrical. I think he didn't fully understand the extent of the surveillance in the area or the ability of law enforcement to trace the purchase history of the props.

Based on the fact that he pointed out a camera to the cops where the 'attack' occurred, but it was pointed the wrong way, I think it's likely that they actually staged a fake fight, which is even more crazy, that he would risk the possibility that the two 'attackers' could be ID'd or at least their race determined from this footage, or that his choreography and acting skills would be sufficient for the two giant bodybuilders to inflict so little damage and leave w/out robbing him, taking his phone or his sandwich.  It will be interesting if the FBI does or doesn't tie him or the brothers to the letter he received.

1 hour ago, lokisnow said:

Either it was staged or whites have figured out a new fool proof way to muddy the waters: simply shout the victims of your terrorism staged it and you are just an employee. Whether or not it is ever trues is immaterial to its success as a astrategy.

But that's the most hilarious part of this and also the most likely reason it was staged: the two brothers who are claiming that he paid them to stage this are bodybuilders from Nigeria who have worked with him before. Regardless of whether the brothers are saying the truth or not, "whites" have nothing to do with this attack.

Some Major Disruption, But Mostly For Half The Population
“Medicare for America” resembles some more skeletal proposals that have been in circulation for the past year or so ― from analyst and Shadowproof contributor Jon Walker, Yale University political scientist Jacob Hacker and the Center for American Progress (CAP). Those last two are not coincidental: DeLauro and Schakowsky worked with Hacker and CAP experts as they crafted the bill, which the lawmakers introduced in December.

The CAP role might rankle those progressives who consider the think-tank too timid or protective of the Democratic Party establishment. But Walker is well-known on social media for his sharp progressive posts, while Hacker is famous for his role developing, and then fighting for, a strong public option in the Affordable Care Act. All of them have long records of supporting government-run insurance, as do DeLauro and Schakowsky.

That political pedigree may explain why, for all the talk about minimizing disruption, “Medicare for America” would actually disrupt quite a lot. For starters, it would automatically enroll everybody who does not have employer-sponsored insurance into the newly constructed government program. That’s basically half the U.S. population, including people on Medicaid or Medicare as well as those who currently buy coverage on their own, whether directly from insurers or through the Affordable Care Act’s exchanges.

2 Liberal Democrats Are Promoting A Twist On ‘Medicare For All’
It would create a big government plan but keep a role for private insurance.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/deluaro-schakowsky-medicare-for-america-all_n_5c672cc6e4b05c889d1f4bc9

Hey, congrats the to truthers for possibly getting one right. Good luck with your next staged/false flag crusade for the next pipe bomb sent to the media or leaders on the left, violent right-wing rally (endorsed by police) that is somehow antifa or a beaten/dead victim's fault, school shooting, or whatever horrific incident that guns, a right-winger, or whatever nut or nut policy that you choose to support. You are truly on the Right side of history.

eta- thank goodness this news came out for you all, so that you didn't have enough of a chance to embarrass yourself with the next AOC smear (like "employing" her boyfriend -- as if the GOP has a leg to stand of w.r.t nepotism (and it isn't in this case)).

The winning world tour continues where European leaders were so overcome by the sheer implausibility of the amount of winning that they forgot to applaud Pence's speech. Which was LIT.

https://splinternews.com/europe-treats-members-of-team-trump-with-the-disdain-th-1832686697

Ignore the fact that the party in power of all 3 branches of government (aside from the HoR) lies with such frequency and impunity that they think their own shit smells good. Which allows them to focus on the RULL issues like a WALL (sorry, bollards -- hard to keep up with the goal posts moving at a breakneck pace for the win!) and a single instance of a falsely reported crime.

19 hours ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

Regarding the future lawsuits in response to 45's declaration of national emergency, I don't understand why the opposition seems to be conceding that since the word emergency is not defined in the National Emergency Act, 45 gets to declare anything he wants to be an emergency.  The word emergency surely has been defined somewhere in federal laws, regulations, or case law (in something connected to FEMA most likely).  Judges can use that definition, wherever and whatever it may be, as persuasive evidence.

If it's not defined in law anywhere then the definition defaults to the dictionary. To whit:

Merriam-Webster online

emer·gen·cy | \ i-ˈmər-jən(t)-sē

1: an unforeseen combination of circumstances or the resulting state that calls for immediate action

2: an urgent need for assistance or relief

It can't just be because Trump says it is. In the declaration of an emergency, the declaration should have to show how it satisfies one or other definition in a somewhat objective sense. Most of the time, it's clear to anyone with half a brain that a situation is an emergency, like a devastating hurricane.

I guess this case will be where case law provides a definition specifically for the declaration of a national emergency that gives the president special powers.

Regarding the 2020 field im still in the undecided camp. I do feel Biden and Bernie are not the best candidates due to a sort of ("they had their moment already") feeling, especially with Joe who passed on the shot when it was there for him in '16', plus Bernie is now in his 80's isnt he?  Anyways I will take some time to hear from and read about the rest of the growing field before I decide my pick.

10 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

And I don't mean to say he is a paragon--except to his own worldview. I think he believes "class fixes all" and he sticks to that. He has plenty of issues, and he is not a pure candidate. 

I apologize for the assumption:

I think it's interesting that Bernie (likely) has a fanbase in the alt-right. This is deeply troubling for me. I don't know how true it is that his diehard supporters are now alt-right, but if it is true, that's a real problem. The flip side of this, people like me get lumped into that group. It's the media's inability to deal outside of binary extremes. 

Definitely has a fan base. Like 1 in 10 Sanders supporters voted for Trump. 

I'll be interested to see how things shake out. I like Warren the best right now (I've always liked her the best, I think). If she isn't viable, and Harris is, then fine. I would even come around on Harris if she talked honestly and openly about her prosecutorial past. I saw Bill Maher angrily say she shouldn't do this to our candidates. "I hate Harris because she prosecuted people, when she used to be a prosecutor." I disagree with him.

I disagree with you here. Her being a prosecutor isn’t a fair point against her. But how she acted as Prosecutor could be critiqued. 

Gabbard is no progressive. She is borderline a Republican.

True. 

9 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

That whole Smollett thing is a mess.

I agree. How goddamn hard is it to meet in person in rural Illinois and hand over a bag of cash? This rank incompetence is truly infuriating. 

I mean they couldn't just snag a rope from somewhere? Fucking morons.

My after-curfew excursions were better thought out than this amateur shit.

On 2/17/2019 at 3:28 AM, DireWolfSpirit said:

I feel compelled to direct attention to yet another disgraceful, bald faced lie by our lying pos President. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-abe-nobel-peace-prize_n_5c67b7a3e4b033a79942d86d

Not only is the President either lying about the Nobel nomination, or , unable to determine the difference between the leaders of S. Korea and Japan? The article points out that 2017 and 2018 Trump Nobel nominations were determined to be forgeries!!!! Where Nobel officials determined that the same individual "assumed the the identity" of a qualified nominator.

That someone not able to nominate him has tried does not equal that he has not been nominated. 

Of course, him bragging about it is standard, and him not knowing geography is .. unsurprising, it is common knowledge he has been nominated (a couple of Norwegian MPs, for instance, nominated him last year. Yes, they are both terrible legislators). 

He may think he'll get the prize if nominated. That just means he doesn't know the process. But his ignorance on ... everything ... is well documented.

10 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Based on the fact that he pointed out a camera to the cops where the 'attack' occurred, but it was pointed the wrong way, I think it's likely that they actually staged a fake fight, which is even more crazy, that he would risk the possibility that the two 'attackers' could be ID'd or at least their race determined from this footage, or that his choreography and acting skills would be sufficient for the two giant bodybuilders to inflict so little damage and leave w/out robbing him, taking his phone or his sandwich.  It will be interesting if the FBI does or doesn't tie him or the brothers to the letter he received.

Seriously.  What pair of bodybuilders-turned-robbers leave without the sandwich?  Leave the phone, take the sandwich.

eta: why would you take something that links you to the attack?

9 hours ago, Altherion said:

But that's the most hilarious part of this and also the most likely reason it was staged: the two brothers who are claiming that he paid them to stage this are bodybuilders from Nigeria who have worked with him before. Regardless of whether the brothers are saying the truth or not, "whites" have nothing to do with this attack.

Why is it hilarious that two bodybuilder brothers aren't white?  Please explain

Eta: ya know what's not funny?  Most victims of violence know their attacker

16 hours ago, Altherion said:

(Jussie Smollet attack for reference)

This is the main reason I don't like Booker. He is an opportunist and grand-stander and I don't really trust he has core beliefs other than self-promotion. Gillibrand too, to a lesser degree. I mean, politicians in general are self-promoters and lime-light hogs, but he seems to do it especially clumsily. We're not supposed to see through the act so easily.

The Democratic divide on Free Trade.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/2/18/18215442/2020-presidential-election-trade-elizabeth-warren-bernie-sanders-kamala-harris

It’s a pretty safe bet that no candidate is going to campaign as a free trader in the 2020 Democratic primary, setting up the potential for a large-scale realignment on a major policy issue for the party.

The Democratic Party faces a fork in the road, on an issue where President Donald Trump has scrambled all the old alliances.

“I think we’re at a tipping point,” says Thea Lee, who leads the lefty Economic Policy Institute, which is skeptical of free trade agreements. “You could see Democrats retreat to their comfort blanket. My hope is we can convince people that’s not an option. We’re not going to go back to the status quo ante. What we need to do is have a forward-looking vision.”

Likely worth reading as this debate heats up:

https://www.amazon.com/Open-Progressive-Immigration-Global-Capital/dp/0674919335

Kimberly Clausing has done a lot of good work on the issue of corporate taxes and other matters. It would be wise to pay attention to what she says.

Though I have to warn the book may only contain actual and concrete policy ideas and no "multi-stakeholder solutions" or "paradigm shifts" may be found.

Archived